Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a new 2D version of Castlevania be viable on the next gen systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would a new 2D version of Castlevania be viable on the next gen systems?

I ask here instead of the Modern Gaming forum because...well just because...

also, I am not a Castlevania expert by any means...

One thing I cannot let go of or understand is why Castlevania never went back to its 2D roots after SOTN, save for the hand held versions. I mean SOTN came out when 3D was all the rave. I remember my friends calling me crazy for buying a 2D game on the PS, some wouldn't even play it. But it became a MASSIVE hit, won all kinds of awards and went down in history as the best Castlevania game of all time if not the best game to ever be released on the PS (this is all debatable, but you get my point).

Then came the 3D Castlevania games which IMO universally sucked. I suppose we could consider Castlevania Chronicles, but it wasn't really a "next gen" game.

Meanwhile, we start seeing 2D Castlevania games on the hand held systems and they are VERY well received and sell extremely well.

So did the developers ever stop to think that maybe a 2D next gen Castlevania was the way to go? I mean, I have always wondered what it would look like. Would the processing power and graphical capabilities of the PS3 and Xbox 360 just be wasted on a 2D side scroller OR could a game like SOTN on steroids/HGH be created that would just kick all kinds of ass?? In my mind, I am just picturing this mutli layered, crazy detailed, HUGE, RPG and side scroller mix of a Castlevania game all in glorious 2D and high definition.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by stargate; 11-03-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate View Post
    I ask here instead of the Modern Gaming forum because...well just because...

also, I am not a Castlevania expert by any means...

One thing I cannot let go of or understand is why Castlevania never went back to its 2D roots after SOTN, save for the hand held versions. I mean SOTN came out when 3D was all the rave. I remember my friends calling me crazy for buying a 2D game on the PS, some wouldn't even play it. But it became a MASSIVE hit, won all kinds of awards and went down in history as the best Castlevania game of all time if not the best game to ever be released on the PS (this is all debatable, but you get my point).

Then came the 3D Castlevania games which IMO universally sucked. I suppose we could consider Castlevania Chronicles, but it wasn't really a "next gen" game.

Meanwhile, we start seeing 2D Castlevania games on the hand held systems and they are VERY well received and sell extremely well.

So did the developers ever stop to think that maybe a 2D next gen Castlevania was the way to go? I mean, I haver always wondered what it would look like. Would the processing power and graphical capabilities of the PS3 and Xbox 360 just be wasted on a 2D side scroller OR could a game like SOTN on steroids/HGH be created that would just kick all kinds of ass?? In my mind, I am just picturing this mutli layered, crazy detailed, HUGE, RPG and side scroller mix of a Castlevania game all in glorious 2D and high definition.

Any thoughts?
    It would nice to see a Castlevania game with the kind of care and attention to detail as Muramasa -but, there's a reason that Muramasa is on Wii, and that has do with the costs involved in creating and animating all that 2D art in HD. It also speaks to why all of the recent 2D Castlevania games have been on handhelds and the upcoming downloadable Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare. I think the future of Castlevania is probably going to depend on how well the upcoming 3D game on PS360 turn out. If they can't crack the 3D nut, the only way forward may be to return to 2D in a big way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It would be nice, but "high res" is something of a siren call. Nobody does it well.

Look at Toki HD - uhhhgly - and look at the box art for Zoku. Bad, but compare it to the low-res ingame art, which is beautiful.

Bottom line here is that you get more games, and they look better, at low rez. There are lots of people talented enough to do HD artwork, but with ever-expanding expectations, we'd still expect so much more of it that you'd have to have a very strict art process as well as a large team of talented artists to fill up a world in such a manner.

I don't think 3D on a 2D plane is quite there yet, if Trine is anything to go by (pretty but not world-beating). It's got lots more detail than previous games, sure, but the total picture looking good as a whole is what matters if we're going to talk about artstyles.

All that aside, no, I probably won't be very happy with most "HD" style game updates. It's not that artists available to the industry have gotten worse (they've arguably gotten much better), but that they would have to do much more work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

From a technical standpoint, doing 2D on the Xbox 360 is a complete joke. You could go apeshit with eye candy since you wont really be pushing the GPU while putting out 2D sprites.

I think a 2D one is very possible.. NIS has been putting out high res 2D RPGs on the PS2 for a few years now, and Muramasa looks kickass on the Wii. Those are underpowered in terms of the 360/PS3, so why not. The catch is convincing the developers to do it.

That being said, if you look at those games and imagine them with a Castlevania art style, yes. I think it is completely possible.

The DS titles are a good indication that the current artists know what the hell they are doing.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

BlazBlu looked pretty awesome so if they can do it, im sure Konami can.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by betamax001 View Post
    BlazBlu looked pretty awesome so if they can do it, im sure Konami can.
    This is extremely true!

That game has alot of eye candy too.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The sad reality is that there just aren't many talented sprite artists left in the industry, at least not at the level of producing an HD home console 2D game. There's a reason why King of Fighters 12 took so long and why it still only ended up being half-finished, and a big part of that is because SNK struggled to even find enough people to hire that were capable of what they were aiming to do. 2D simply isn't valued in the industry anymore, at least beyond handheld games that feature sprites that are still on the same level as what was being created back in SotN's time (and usually not even that detailed or fluid).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

heres to hoping the retro gaming boom will make some of these 3D people learn some real art!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Uhh castlevania rebirth any one ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqnn8sH7PI I know it's a remake of castlevania adventure beside...it not being the same far as the animation go's that you see in,muramasa the demon blade.Still it's a start for konami i've all ways ranted why not a new castlevania in 2d for todays console.I guess to konami they are paranoid a new one at retail wouldn't sell for some odd reason.

Beside the other being the time and resoruces to make it.Now most companys don't wanna mess with that any more such as cough,cough capcom
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 11-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3D CV is practically Devil May Cry, anyway.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    3D CV is practically Devil May Cry, anyway.
    except DMC is fun.

CV Rebirth is a step in the right direction, but alot of the visuals seem Sega Genesis quality almost. The parallax and overall style are awesome though. Kinda sad the WiiWare is better than the Wii itself.

what it needs is some more anime-like spriteage, instead of shadeystuff.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Castlevania Rebirth is a Frankenstein anyway (ugh, bad pun), seeing as its graphics are largely pieced together bits from SotN and the GBA/DS games. Sure, ever since SotN the series has had a tradition of recycling enemies ad nauseum, but Castlevania Rebirth takes it to a new level of laziness (granted, the nature of the product can excuse it to some degree). There's some original graphical content, but not nearly enough.

Frankly, from everything I've seen and heard, I think Konami in particular is sorely lacking talented sprite artists at this point in time. Honestly, I don't think they'd be capable of producing a high-res impressive 2D Castlevania, at least not to the extent of how impressive SotN was for its time. That ship has sailed.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    It would nice to see a Castlevania game with the kind of care and attention to detail as Muramasa
    Now that's a hot idea! Quick someone send Iga a copy of Muramasa or Odin Sphere ASAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Isn't the animation in Odin Sphere and Muramasa akin to Flash, though? It's not traditional sprite-based animation like we're accustomed to, where every single movement needs a redrawn frame. Those games are beautiful, but I have a little more respect for those doing it the old-fashioned way and I'd prefer a Castlevania created that way. Besides, Flash and relatives have a distinct style of movement, and I'm not sure Castlevania would jive with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

what do you mean "Akin to flash"?

I don't think Muramasa uses vector drawing. I think it was all done by hand, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aussie2B means games that use vectors instead of pixel maps.

Personally I agree, although I wouldn't mind vectors used intelligently where possible to cut down on costs (i.e. in attack flashes or whatever).

It's clear that hardware isn't the limiting factor on 2D games, it's the ability to draw characters (as opposed to modeling animations etc.) and the budget to do that on all geometry. I think there's actually less difference between doing background graphics and creating textures for a 3D game than people suppose, but with 3D games the texture artists can often be lazy and leave the subtle details of shading etc. to geometry dressers / mappers / modelers.

In theory it should be possible to take team members skilled in 3D disciplines and move them to the closest analogue for 2D, but time and time again we see people making the same basic mistakes of treating 2D as 3D without depth, appropriate shading, contrast, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

No,
    Catslevania has been run ito the ground.
    Give me somethingg new already. This rehashed, we're out of fresh ideas for characters and story crap is getting old.
    2d is great, just give us a new franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    No,
    Catslevania has been run ito the ground.
    Give me somethingg new already. This rehashed, we're out of fresh ideas for characters and story crap is getting old.
    2d is great, just give us a new franchise.
    But CV: Order of Ecclesia is amazing !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the last two years or so I've heard rumors of a new 2D Castlevania coming to consoles. But instead we got that horrible fighting game on the Wii, which sold very poorly. Like others have said, the GBA and DS games have all been received very well and SOTN is still considered one of the greatest Castlevania games ever so I really don't know why Konami just won't take a gamble and make this game for the 360 and PS3. If they don't have enough artist for it they should just hire from another third party company.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

I can't even imagine how much Konami would have to pay for the sprite artists.

Now, something like a side scrolling 3d game, like the rondo remake I would be very happy to see. I can imagine what something like Legion would look like, tons of highly detailed corpses and stuff. It would be awesome. I like the sprite style games more as well, since I'm more of a fan of the pre-IGA games, but it's more than unlikely we will ever see one.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.