Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other than batteries dying, how have you lost save files?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This wasn't my save file, but when I was young I was playing my cousin's NES and his copy of Legend of Zelda. I had no idea what I was doing and deleted his save file.

I still feel bad about that to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

Losing paper with NES passwords on it is the MOST ANNOYING THING EVER.

Worse than dead cart battery! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know when they say to hold down the reset button when turning off NES games with saves? They mean it.

Was SO close to beating Zelda 2. I eventually started over and beat it from the beginning but it took forever.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A SNES Game Genie destroyed my save games a few times, the most tragic of which was a file near the end of Super Metroid on my first playthrough where I thought it would be fun to screw around with some of the zanier codes. Bloody Game Genie.

By far the most stupid way that I've lost save files, though, was thusly: I was making good progress through Robo-Pit on PSX and while spelunking through the menus one day I noticed something odd, an option to "initialize." Initialize what, I thought? What madness would this activate? Oh, it did something special, it did. Cleared all data from the memory card in slot 1, amongst it some very dearly held saves for the likes of Jet Moto, Castlevania: SOTN, FFVII, King's Field 2, and a number of others. Fuckers, why include that in a game? When would you ever, in game, feel the need or compulsion to empty your memory card? A data manager is one thing, but good god. Man.. did I feel a majestic dolt.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    This wasn't my save file, but when I was young I was playing my cousin's NES and his copy of Legend of Zelda. I had no idea what I was doing and deleted his save file.

I still feel bad about that to this day.
    I've done that before too, when my brother and his friend got super far on Super Mario World. Me and the friend's little brother decided to goof around in the game. I don't know if I could even read back then, let alone know what "Clear Data" meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490
    Losing paper with NES passwords on it is the MOST ANNOYING THING EVER.

Worse than dead cart battery! :P
    It was, back in the day. But now we can look up codes to get to a place where we were approximately.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I have a copy of Pinball Fantasies for Jaguar that is kind of flaky. At one point, it lost all my high scores, and I subsequently set some new ones... then later on, my old scores mysteriously came back. I'm still not sure how that happened.

I've heard from other people that it IS possible to lose NES game saves if you don't hold the reset button while powering off like it says so to do on the back of the cartridge. It's never happened to me however, and I suspect it's only on certain consoles, or only in very specific situations.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0) BiggerBoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, over the past, oh, 2 weeks or so, I've experienced such a devastating sequence of memory losses that I'm not sure I can continue my normal life without venting, or putting an axe through my Super Nintendo. FIRST, my near-100% game in Yoshi's Island freezes one day, then - POOF! - I toggle off/on, and what do I know? The games are GONE. (Granted, this is an easy fix within the cartridge, it's NOT an easy amount of time spent playing to get back!) Then, a couple days later, my StarFox cartridge slips into a coma, and won't be resuscitated until I replace the battery and start anew. What the hell could be next? Well, how about a 16 hour Chrono Trigger game? Okay, well, this is enough to send a man over the edge. I've got to go to something reliable:

My mint Earthbound cartridge. Now, this is a special one, because I don't actually think any memory got wiped - but something strange happened nonetheless! I decided to start a new game, and for the next couple weeks, exhaust myself playing it in my time off - try finding things I've never found before, talking to everyone in every town, the whole bit. And so I get off to a pretty good start, and after going to bed the first night (only in Twoson, but getting that good buzz only Earthbound can give), I wake up (today) with the game on my brain. I go to work, come home and hop on the Wii Fit, drink a beer, then hop on the SNES - my long-awaited return, a kind of therapy I've had scheduled for myself all day.

Well, my main slot, #1 is still intact. But #2? Where...? What the...? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I KNOW I SAVED IN TWOSON, I KNOW IT I KNOW IT I KNOW IT! I watched it happen, I know I watched Ness's dad say it was ALL RECORDED!

What am I to do? Could there be something wrong with my SNES (it's brand new, damnit)? Or do I just have bum luck? I hope I don't have to keep finding out the hard way.
    What an annoying knock!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The sega saturn and action replay was a constant problem for me. I lost my devil summoner saved game while transferring the save data from console to AR's memory. The 1 save it did keep was corrupt and all of my stats where out of control. This is the one i remember the most as i'm a huge fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic 3's game save (which doesn't use a battery IIRC) can be flaky. Once it randomly wiped out all my saves (and I had a completed game in every slot ). But after that, it worked fine.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerBoo View Post
    FIRST, my near-100% game in Yoshi's Island freezes one day, then - POOF! - I toggle off/on, and what do I know? The games are GONE. (Granted, this is an easy fix within the cartridge, it's NOT an easy amount of time spent playing to get back!) Then, a couple days later, my StarFox cartridge slips into a coma, and won't be resuscitated until I replace the battery and start anew. What the hell could be next? Well, how about a 16 hour Chrono Trigger game? Okay, well, this is enough to send a man over the edge. I've got to go to something reliable: ...
    Before you lose anymore of your sanity you might try cleaning your games and your cartridge slot real good as dirty contacts can cause save file shenanigans. Also Star Fox (I assume you mean the original for the SNES) does not have a battery and even if it did bad batteries generally don't cause a game to freeze or slip into a coma.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good point on the Starfox cart, RP2! I gave my SNES a good twice-over cleaning, and have been doing some trial and error with Earthbound...starting new games, getting to the save point, turning it off...so far it's erased 2 slot 2's...hmmm.
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I've heard from other people that it IS possible to lose NES game saves if you don't hold the reset button while powering off like it says so to do on the back of the cartridge. It's never happened to me however, and I suspect it's only on certain consoles, or only in very specific situations.

--Zero
    Tecmo Super Bowl gets *extremely* flaky towards the end of the season if you don't hold reset when turning the system off.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I loaned my friend wizardry for NES and he wiped out everything. Who knows how, but he did.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I lost my Zelda save from NES blinking.
    I too have lost a Donkey Kong Land save from ripping out a cart while it was still on hell I even lost my Donkey Kong Land.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Unhappy

My son was borrowing my Legend of Zelda: LttP cart for the GBA for a sleepover at a friend's house. IIRC, his friend yoinked the cart out of the GBA while it was on and this somehow fried the ability to modify the existing saved games: they could be loaded, but they could neither be deleted nor overwritten.

And then I had a small set of memory cards (PS2, GC, N64) stolen in a burglary a few years back.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I also lost my completed OoT save by using a Gameshark to mess around. Forgot about that.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mint Earthbound cartridge. Now, this is a special one, because I don't actually think any memory got wiped - but something strange happened nonetheless! I decided to start a new game, and for the next couple weeks, exhaust myself playing it in my time off - try finding things I've never found before, talking to everyone in every town, the whole bit. And so I get off to a pretty good start, and after going to bed the first night (only in Twoson, but getting that good buzz only Earthbound can give), I wake up (today) with the game on my brain. I go to work, come home and hop on the Wii Fit, drink a beer, then hop on the SNES - my long-awaited return, a kind of therapy I've had scheduled for myself all day.

Well, my main slot, #1 is still intact. But #2? Where...? What the...? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH I KNOW I SAVED IN TWOSON, I KNOW IT I KNOW IT I KNOW IT! I watched it happen, I know I watched Ness's dad say it was ALL RECORDED!

What am I to do? Could there be something wrong with my SNES (it's brand new, damnit)? Or do I just have bum luck? I hope I don't have to keep finding out the hard way.
    Did you start the game in slot #2? Cos if I remember correctly EarthBound only lets you record over your old save when you call your dad, not choose which file to save into. :V

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Negatory, DevilRy, there's 3 slots when you start her up, all of which are now quite empty. . Something terrible is happening!
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that sucks. Hope you figure it out. In the meantime, there's always emulators if you really need an EarthBound fix. Shit, I hope that never happens to my game though... I got the Gutsy Bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Negatory, DevilRy, there's 3 slots when you start her up, all of which are now quite empty. . Something terrible is happening!
    I bought a copy back in 2005 and something similar happened. My current playtime was about 3 hours, with two other files from the previous user. Upon starting-up the game again after having it for about two days, all three files were gone. I went straight through after that without ever taking the game out of my system. If anything, I think the battery is loose.

My brother wanted to play something in between both times I booted-up the game, but I removed the cart myself. He didn't erase them and I didn't either. The battery may have jiggled loose just enough to erase all of the saves. Come to think of it, Earthbound may be my only "noisy" cart. Something has shook in there since the day I bought it, but some games just do that . (DS carts come to mind.)

I would have long since replaced the battery, but do not wish to mess-up the label in doing so.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.