Thread: Journey To Silius on NES - what a surprise!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Journey To Silius on NES - what a surprise!

So SegaAges and I were at the local retro game store picking a few things up, and I picked up 3 NES games. Guardian Legend, Crystalis, and Journey to Silius all for about $13. Not too bad of a deal really. Anyways, Journey to Silius interested me because it's a Sunsoft game, and in my experience Sunsoft games are USUALLY good. Also, I am a big fan of Sunsoft NES music so I thought I'd give it a try.

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! This is got to be a sleeper hit. A diamond in the rough. It's an excellent run n' gun style game in the tradition of Batman somewhat. The graphics are very Batman-ish. Also, I noticed they borrowed some of the sound effects from Blaster Master (Similar to how Fester's Quest did).

The music of course is Sunsoft awesome with good bass and a nice rhythm. Controls are not too bad either. Overall a good game, I recommend it. This is in no way a review just letting it out there if anyone is looking for an NES game that's good, quick fun - and have not heard of this one.

Happy Video Game Nerd Review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkPSzYc7JHU

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Journey to Silius is simply a awesome game.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It's an undiscovered Gem, that's for sure. I love the first/last level music. I do feel that Blaster Master is probably Sunsoft's best NES game, but JtS is a must-play as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up a few months ago on a limb because it was cheap, had a cool name (with a Sunsoft logo of course!), and sported some nice box art. It was definitely a pleasant surprise.

I was really impressed with the music when I first popped it in as well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice haul.

After finishing JtS, definitely try Guardian Legend. It's another "sleeper hit" and by far more interesting. A mesh-up of Zelda, Metroid, and shoot'em-ups. Made by the same guys that developed Gun-Nac, Musha, and Robo Aleste.

If that's not enough. You play as a female Transformer jet with built-in lightsaber action. Instant nerdgasm.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 11-01-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Journey to Silius is an incredible game. Guardian Legend is another hidden gem !!! As a side note, there is a cheat to only play the shooting levels in Guardian, just enter TGL as a password

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I popped Guardian Legend and Crystalis in for a few minutes just to test them. They both seemed like excellent games as well. Guardian Legend will be the next NES game after I beat Journey to Silius. I have got to the 4th level so far on Silius. Damn game starts to get a little challenging, but it doesn't seem to be TOO bad.

Crystalis, well - I will get to it when I get to it. I realize it's an RPG so it's gonna take a while with that one. The fastest speed run of that game was 52 minutes I believe. So that means it will probably take me 3 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Silius is an awesome game (mostly thanks to its music and bosses.) It would have been doubly cool had it come out as the Terminator.

Damn crappy Acclaim and their crap movie games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Yes, a great game that would have been awesome as a Terminator game. Sunsoft really would have been the king of Movie franchise games had it been released like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voliko View Post
    I picked this up a few months ago on a limb because it was cheap
    OT: It's "on a whim"

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    OT: It's "on a whim"
    Or, alternately, "went out on a limb". Yessir.

Cool game, this one. I remember it was given a fairly lukewarm review in GamePro, I wonder how much more popular and well received this would have been had SunSoft managed to hang onto the Terminator license.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Journey to Silius is an excellent game. I managed to snag a boxed copy last year and have been enjoying it since.

And the music is just as excellent as the game. But its no big surprise. Has Naoki Kodaka ever composed a bad sound track? It's a shame that he seems to have vanished from the music industry. Maybe after creating one of the greatest sound tracks ever made (Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean) he felt he had accomplished everything he could in the industry, left it behind and never looked back?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    So SegaAges and I were at the local retro game store picking a few things up, and I picked up 3 NES games. Guardian Legend, Crystalis, and Journey to Silius all for about $13. Not too bad of a deal really.
    That's a fantastic trio of games you picked up there!
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yeah I popped Guardian Legend and Crystalis in for a few minutes just to test them. They both seemed like excellent games as well. Guardian Legend will be the next NES game after I beat Journey to Silius. I have got to the 4th level so far on Silius. Damn game starts to get a little challenging, but it doesn't seem to be TOO bad.

Crystalis, well - I will get to it when I get to it. I realize it's an RPG so it's gonna take a while with that one. The fastest speed run of that game was 52 minutes I believe. So that means it will probably take me 3 months.
    I can't believe this games are a secret to any retro gamer They're all fairly known games nowadays. GL and Crystalis weren't really sleepers per se. I mean, they had lots of advertisement BITD. Also, I see you're in 'Vegas. I'm here for a few days. Any good retro shops here?
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I can't believe this games are a secret to any retro gamer They're all fairly known games nowadays. GL and Crystalis weren't really sleepers per se. I mean, they had lots of advertisement BITD.
    Guardian Legend got zilch in the ad category. The only publicity it received was a showing at CES 1988 and even then, Broderbund were heavily promoting their U-Force controllers. Ya know...the Primordial Kinect. All that's left was boxart. Hell, even that was grossly ripped from a 1985 movie called Creature as Dire51's latest thread shows. I can't imagine a more horrible PR job than GL. If doesn't count as a sleeper hit, what is?
    Last edited by Press_Start; 11-03-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been hunting down a copy of JtS for quite a while now...they never come up anywhere here. It's an awesome game, for sure!
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    I can't believe this games are a secret to any retro gamer They're all fairly known games nowadays. GL and Crystalis weren't really sleepers per se. I mean, they had lots of advertisement BITD. Also, I see you're in 'Vegas. I'm here for a few days. Any good retro shops here?
    Yeah man there are quite a few here. The one I like to go to, and where I got those games is called "Gameworld", it's on Charleston between Jones and Decatur. Sometimes they have decent prices, but sometimes they want way too much for stuff, really just a typical retro gaming store. For instance, they were asking 35 bucks for a loose copy of Contra for the NES. And they want 9.99 for every SMB they have there (which is a lot). But if you know what's a good deal and what's not, it's a decent place.

Oh, and while you are here, you have to check out Sega's Gameworks on the strip. Also make it a point to check out the Pinball Hall Of Fame. They have hundreds of pinball and arcade machines there. They are on Tropicana east of the Strip. You can google them.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 11-04-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have tons of Journey to Silius copies around here in NW Arkansas. I have two, one loose and one boxed complete. I am terrible at it but it's so fluid and pretty

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Too many incredible games in this thread. Can't take it, gotta listen to JTS soundtrack!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!