Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Nintendo's next home console entice the early adopters/graphic whores?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo has talked in the distant past about how having screens on controllers would be neat, specifically for local multiplayer where you could be doing things that the other players cannot see. They mentioned this in relation to the GCN/GBASP connection, if I recall.

It could be interesting.

Insert Coin (Level 0) QuickSciFi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The most promising thing I see happening with this touch screen on a controller is the next generation of the Game Boy Player (DS/3DS Player ). This is more outstanding than anything I could've ever asked for. Castlevania, anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't read a few screens back to be sure, but the Dreamcast VMU had a screen on the controller. It was hardly used, but the option was there to select plays secretly in Football games, have a compass or map on the controller, or whatever.

I'm not sure why I would want a console stream the entire game to a control screen, I do prefer my surround sound and 40" wide screen for gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Streaming the actual game into the controller may be just one of the perks, though. I'm sure it will have all the perks of a touch screen as well. Why wouldn't someone want more if it's standard? If you asked me which do I prefer, one dollar or two dollars, the answer is simple.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    I haven't read a few screens back to be sure, but the Dreamcast VMU had a screen on the controller. It was hardly used, but the option was there to select plays secretly in Football games, have a compass or map on the controller, or whatever.

I'm not sure why I would want a console stream the entire game to a control screen, I do prefer my surround sound and 40" wide screen for gaming.
    The VMU was too limited. Have you ever tried playing NFL 2k/1/2 with VMU play selection? It doesn't work as good as you think it would. The VMU was a good idea that was too far ahead of its time for its own good.

The problem I see with the technology is that if done properly, like with a good screen possibly with touch sensitive technology, it would drive the overall price of the system through the roof.

If all three companies are going the 599$ route in the next Generation, that would leave an oppurtunity for someone to creep into the industry with a lower end system(if done correctly). -Wishfull thinking from a Sega Fanboy.
    Last edited by shinobimusashi; 04-22-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I recall correctly the VMU's screen was only 60x60 pixels, nope that was TXR's custom icons, wiki says 48x32. I figured it was just a first step proof of concept that would hopefully inspire developers. Moving from that to a newer VMU with double the resolution (and more save memory for good measure) would likely have resolved any odd issues that came up.

All the same, I can see the benefits of having a screen on a controller. I also see the benefit for a company like Nintendo, which counts on its portable gaming domination, to start branching out now. Tablets and Smart Phones are quickly taking portable gaming in a direction Nintendo has no expertise in.
    Last edited by sheath; 04-22-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the vmu topic is moot at this point, it seems. It's going to be more akin to a small tablet. Expect to see angry birds as downloadable content (on the actual remote). It seems Nintendo aims to recycle those Wii motes. We'll have two sorts of interfaces, the Wii mote and the more hardcore but "new age friendly" tablet thingamagik. It's going to be pretty awesome, imo. I can already see people walking around with their "Stream Motes" (yes, the Stream is one of the names in question).

At any rate, just read it:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Wii-2-Pr...ews-10938.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I understand your concerns, but imagine playing Zelda on your TV, and the map is on the screen on your controller. Or how about Playing Mario Kart heads up. You use the TV's screen, your friend uses the controller. It has its uses.
    It has its uses, but I feel like we've already seen them with the Dreamcast VMU and the Gamecube-GBA link. Neat for a few things, but nothing mindblowing. I don't think making the screen larger and a touch screen is a colossal step up. Hell, the Wii and DS are linkable, and what's that been good for? You can download demos and I think some Pokemon game used it. There is also Remote Play for PS3/PSP, but only a few games use it, and I don't know of any games that make any use of PS3-PSP connectivity in any other way.

If the system comes with both a Wii-style controller and one of these, which is basically a Classic Controller with a big touch screen, I won't mind. Each can have its place. What I would mind is if this is the sole standard controller, and controller-screen functionality is shoehorned into every game.
    Last edited by j_factor; 04-22-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Wow, possibly this Fall now, from between $350-$400,

There just seems to be WAY too much information leaking out about this thing for it not to come out THIS YEAR. e3 is going to be very, very interesting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. This is probably my most anticipated E3 since the early days. It's not every E3 that a new home console is announced. And with a handheld/tablet-like controller interphase, I could see Nintendo racing the NGP for launch (seeing how the current PSP3000 has tv out). Who knows? Maybe the NGP will be a powerful home console too.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    There just seems to be WAY too much information leaking out about this thing for it not to come out THIS YEAR. e3 is going to be very, very interesting!
    Nope. We won't see Super Wii (yes, that's what I'm calling it ) come out this year and here's why:

1) Nintendo wants this year to be focused on 3DS. Otherwise, what would be the point of slow-playing and snowballing the handheld's success if a new home console steals its thunder come Christmas 2011. Having your two systems butting heads for consumer attention is not a smart move, IMO.

2) Hardware sales-wise: there's still plenty of life in Wii 1 and announcing a next-gen console release so soon will dampen any or all future productions and releases (not to mention profit margin) for the system in the next year or so.

3) Time-wise: 2012 is perfect. Nintendo's not in any rush since MS and Sony won't supposedly release theirs til 2014 but they won't...but that's a totally different topic altogether. Also, allows Nintendo to start at a more affordable price point (i.e. $300).
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless a lot of this info is bogus.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too true. But the sheer volume and complimentary points from multiple sources in such a short time frame has me hopeful that's not the case. Always consider, it's an internet rumor ATM. Nothing more.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post

1) Nintendo wants this year to be focused on 3DS. Otherwise, what would be the point of slow-playing and snowballing the handheld's success if a new home console steals its thunder come Christmas 2011. Having your two systems butting heads for consumer attention is not a smart move, IMO.
    Well, if the price of this "Super" Wii is in the area of $349.99 or $399.99, I just don't see it really affecting 3DS sales all that much. They are going after two completely different consumers. I think Nintendo would love to just stick with the Wii and promoting their new 3DS, but they have this first-movers advantage right now, and they don't want to take the chance that Microsoft secretly has a console ready for 2012. ( a longshot I know, but Nintendo doesn't like to get caught with their pants down)

2) Hardware sales-wise: there's still plenty of life in Wii 1 and announcing a next-gen console release so soon will dampen any or all future productions and releases (not to mention profit margin) for the system in the next year or so.
    Well, the price drop seems to indicate that sales have plateaued, and that it's all downhill from here, just a matter of how long they can milk it. Again, with the new Wii price of $159.99, I think that a $349.99 or $399.99 Super Wii would be going after a totally different consumer.

3) Time-wise: 2012 is perfect. Nintendo's not in any rush since MS and Sony won't supposedly release theirs til 2014 but they won't...but that's a totally different topic altogether. Also, allows Nintendo to start at a more affordable price point (i.e. $300).

The key word in the above quote is supposedly. Sure, the smart money says that Microsoft and Sony can't launch till November 2013 at the earliest, but I still think that Nintendo would be taking too great a risk if they wait till 2012. It's not completely inconceivable that Microsoft isn't secretly targeting November 2012. All this talk of them just getting started in the initial design of their next system could be a complete smokescreen.

The Xbox 360 will be a full 6 years old this November, and a full 7 years old in November 2012. I just can't see MS going a full 8 years. It's not totally impossible of course, but I'm guessing that Nintendo is being cautious as well. They want to GUARANTEE a full year all to themselves.

The bottomline is that a good chunk of these rumors need to be completely false, or we are getting a new home console this Xmas. It's absolutely obvious. No way in hell this much SPECIFC info leaks out if the thing is still 18 months into the future. Either many of the rumors are bogus, or start saving your pennies, because you only have 7 months to save up the necessary dough.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this is worth anything, but has anyone considered the possibility that "Project Cafe" is more than a code name? Have you played the NTN Buzztime Trivia game at a sports bar, or at least seen it? Imagine Nintendo doing something similar, but with a contract to place a unit at every Starbucks. After getting "everyone" to play games at home, it's not a long step to see them getting "everyone" to play games together in a social environment. I'm sure it'll be sold for home use, but this seems like a potential market. Buzztime is a perfect example of how to make it work, and this rumored tech would be a great improvement over the Playmaker unit.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if the price of this "Super" Wii is in the area of $349.99 or $399.99, I just don't see it really affecting 3DS sales all that much. They are going after two completely different consumers.
    First, who the hell has the money to blow $600-$650 on a 3DS AND Super Wii?! Wait, let me rephrase *cough* *cough* What family has room in their disposable income for two video game systems for Holiday Season '11? Especially in a wayward economy with raising gas and food prices. On top of that, you're literally forcing consumers to choose between your two biggest products implying lost potential revenue, which Nintendo wanted to avoid with 3DS.

And second....."two completely different consumers"? You do know those that buy a Wii are the same ones that buy DS's right?

I think Nintendo would love to just stick with the Wii and promoting their new 3DS, but they have this first-movers advantage right now, and they don't want to take the chance that Microsoft secretly has a console ready for 2012. ( a longshot I know, but Nintendo doesn't like to get caught with their pants down)
    Yeah, that really worked well for MS the first time.

Besides, I doubt MS (and I'm including Sony on this one) will release their next-gen machine anything in the next year or two cause I think they're focused on what they have now. Then again, E3 '11 could prove me wrong but we shall see.

Well, the price drop seems to indicate that sales have plateaued, and that it's all downhill from here, just a matter of how long they can milk it. Again, with the new Wii price of $159.99, I think that a $349.99 or $399.99 Super Wii would be going after a totally different consumer.
    The new price will bump up Wii sales the same way PS3 and 360 numbers jumped for them, does that mean PS4/720 are on the way?

The bottomline is that a good chunk of these rumors need to be completely false, or we are getting a new home console this Xmas. It's absolutely obvious. No way in hell this much SPECIFC info leaks out if the thing is still 18 months into the future. Either many of the rumors are bogus, or start saving your pennies, because you only have 7 months to save up the necessary dough.
    Ugh...this is wishful thinking on steroids.

A) Nothing's confirmed, proven, validated, established, endorsed, verified, or even gotten the copper stamp of approval.

It's 95% shapeless, disgusting blob of speculation!

B) Wii (Revolution) was announced 2004 and wasn't released til 2006.

C) The biggest reason Nintendo won't release Wii 2 this year is......the 3DS cause 3DS is a test case for Wii 2 and it's dangerous to disrupt an experiment in mid-process. Depending on how well 3DS does in 2011 will determine the release date for Wii 2. If sale go well on the holiday rush, then Nintendo might opt for Summer '12 or like 3DS, in Spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

IGN and Kotaku have already reported Nintendo has the capacity to manufacture the new console for release later this year but developers haven't had enough time with the hardware. The launch will be in 2012. Just in time for the end of the world.

Sounds logical. Nintendo probably doesn't want another embarrassing 3DS-like launch.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, after Wii and DS I think it might be alright to scale back the release flood for a while.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. We won't see Super Wii (yes, that's what I'm calling it ) come out this year and here's why:

I agree and I touched on this in another thread. Nintendo wouldn't want people to have to make a decision this holiday season rather to purchase a 3DS at $250 or a Super Wii(your title) at $300. Because chances are that people won't be purchasing them both with the recession still going on over here in the US and them having much more important things to focus on in Japan.

I think Nintendo will announce/reveal their new system at E3 and release it either next spring or next fall in 2012.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I think Nintendo will announce/reveal their new system at E3 and release it either next spring or next fall in 2012.
    This is pretty much what Nintendo confirmed today.

Now we have rumored pictures of the hardware. Behold, the Microsoft DVD case. Does it run Windows 7?

http://kotaku.com/#!5795286/is-this-...ther-photoshop