Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E3 2011 - General Thread

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not coming to the same conclusions. I'm actually not coming to many, because we haven't gotten anything substantial about the thing yet. Also, remember that they held back features of the Wii right up to a few months before launch. Who knows what they are holding back? What they did show was their software game showing potential for better form, that's the point I wanted to see most. Also, obviously for some games I'm sure you can use the Wii classic controller and skip the lap screen.

Best thing is, right as Sony and MS are busy playing catch-up to what's been done, they're moving on and bring their last emergent thing with for the ride. A+ on that account. All these things being standard while still being optional was important for the direction. It's ballsy, and I like it.

Now, they just have to stay the path and get more (3rds) on board... Bring some PS3/360 titles over, but resist the urge to go port mad. Just the key stuff, leave the rest.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Went into N's E3 press site (thanks /v/) and found out that Kirby Wii is still set in stone, along with Mario Party 9 for Wii. There's even ZIP files full of pictures, along with info sheets.

EDIT: There's also a Mystery Case Files and Rhythm Heaven for Wii.

EDIT 2: There's also a pack of info for Kirby: Mass Attack for DS (announced today).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The new Zapper might be the best thing to ever happen to the console shooter.

Think about games like Uncharted, where third-person platforming is combined with fine-control aiming on a held trigger. This removes the need for switching modes, you just switch your glance to the controller screen and aim naturally. Assuming that the platforming controls are comfortable and the motion sensing is better than the 3DS, this should be the best way to play a shooter on the couch.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The U controller is the most ridiculous gaming device I've seen in years...possibly ever. Who the hell wants to hold on to that thing?
    Think about the size for a minute, I just realized it's smaller than you think it is.

Hold a PSP. That's a 5" screen. Add about an inch to the width and make it a little more ergonomic. That's what it's going to be like.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It has to be in contact with some kind of base station at all times, so it's not portable at all other than within the range of your TV/base station.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    No, you are mistaken. The Wii U tablet isn't portable, it merely functions with the console
    This is actually what I meant when I said it was portable, but you had to atleast hook it up to a power outlet. I personally don't ever play a portable unit unless it's either at my house, or someone elses house, or whatever. So regardless I'll be inside. What I meant is that if you were going over to someones house you could always bring the console itself with you as well as the controller. So if you wanted to play a portable at the time, then you could just hook it up and play it without the need of a television. Just the console and controller. So in a way. It's portable as much as I use them. But using it outside, on a bus, etc, etc. Yeah. Wouldn't really work.

I really dislike Wii, but with the Wii U being more of a console, even with a gimmick, I'll end up eventually getting one, atleast somewhat close to launch. I own a Gamecube so I guess I won't be that sad without GC bc, but it would have been much nicer if all three consoles were playable with just the Wii U.

Overall I think Nintendo had the best conference. We already knew about all the games coming out for the 3DS except Super Mario. I'll purchase a 3DS once we get the inevitable XL version. While I'm more interested in the PS Vita and the Uncharted games, Nintendo actually has shown a lot more games at their conference, and like everyone else mentioned, the conference wasn't just shooter after shooter and little else. Also, like I already mentioned, I'll be getting the Wii U. It was less interesting than the Vita and Uncharted 3, of course, but more interesting than pretty much everything else in this years show.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reason to keep GC - GBA Player / PSO online play
    Reason to keep Wii - softmod

You might as well keep it, is the extra $20 that hard to scratch up? Wii U is BC, the resale will plummet.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    What I meant is that if you were going over to someones house you could always bring the console itself with you as well as the controller. So if you wanted to play a portable at the time, then you could just hook it up and play it without the need of a television. Just the console and controller.
    First item on my want list after buying one of these is a travel case for just that reason.

I'm not certain, but from what they said, someone could play a game on the main TV screen and you could play a game on the tablet controller simultaneous. How that would work or what limitations that has, we'll see.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-07-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to give Nintendo credit for trying something new, while Microsoft and Sony are still stuck on motion controls. Reggie said it right on G4 after the conference, "we are making our own path and the others are following, and it all started with motion control gaming".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Think about the size for a minute, I just realized it's smaller than you think it is.

Hold a PSP. That's a 5" screen. Add about an inch to the width and make it a little more ergonomic. That's what it's going to be like.
    I think you need to look at more actual pictures of the device in people's hands. It's huge. Think "kindle" on its side and twice the thickness.

I'm excited by the console and praying the controller doesn't ruin the whole thing like the Wii-mote did before Nintendo got the hint and went the classic controller/gamecube controller route for most of their big games.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I'm not coming to the same conclusions. I'm actually not coming to many, because we haven't gotten anything substantial about the thing yet. Also, remember that they held back features of the Wii right up to a few months before launch. Who knows what they are holding back? What they did show was their software game showing potential for better form, that's the point I wanted to see most. Also, obviously for some games I'm sure you can use the Wii classic controller and skip the lap screen.

Best thing is, right as Sony and MS are busy playing catch-up to what's been done, they're moving on and bring their last emergent thing with for the ride. A+ on that account. All these things being standard while still being optional was important for the direction. It's ballsy, and I like it.

Now, they just have to stay the path and get more (3rds) on board... Bring some PS3/360 titles over, but resist the urge to go port mad. Just the key stuff, leave the rest.
    I don't know, I think if I was Sony and Microsoft, I would be feeling pretty good about things after Nintendo's press conference. Unlike the Wii where Nintendo saw a need and filled it in a new and exciting way, this new console appears to be an answer to a problem no gamer has ever felt they had. I've never once played a FPS and thought, gee, I wish I had a second screen on a plastic zapper frame so I could focus on two screens at once. I've also never had just one TV and been forced to continue playing a game on a tiny screen as a result of another family member demanding to watch baseball. Not a single one of the concepts they outlined for how the controller could be used appealed to me in any way. Do I really need a screen on the floor for a golf game so the kids can step on it or scratch it as they're running around and playing? I'm sorry, but just because Nintendo is ballsy and innovative doesn't mean that everything they do is brilliant or necessary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh. I don't see this tablet thing being that useful. Also it looks like a Ben Heck console.

I feel like I'm going to be very indifferent with gaming next gen.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The golf thing is definitely a crappy gimmick. I hope that's just a demo concept and not the basis for a full title.

I want to see Shogun 2 ported to this thing. Keep the conquest map on the controller screen, and put the battles on the main screen. Use the touchscreen to issue commands during battles.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note: "Circle Pads" rather than analog sticks. Hmmm...

Kotaku has some video hot from the showroom floor.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jeez! You guys are acting like a bunch of gossipy egotistical teenage girl snap-judging with ruthless shallowness like a blood-thirsty beartrap.

It's the same thing every year, you guys put too much weight on these press conferences but don't wait around for videos and trailers from the main floor...where the REAL meat is. So, how about we hold all "verdicts" for the weekend when we get a better picture for what's in store, huh?

As for the conference, Nintendo blew my mind with Wii U. Smart move to make not only backwards compatible with games but Wiimotes too. it's an interesting concept to say the least, but this E3 was just a tease and concretes my notion Nintendo's next console will be released after E3 next year, Summer 2012.

And as for the "haters", how is this any different than playing on GBA, PSP, a one-screen DS or playing Four-Swords on Gameboy Player?
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

*shrug*

Despite any criticisms of the controller design I may have (For the record, I HATE circle slider analogs), I'ma buy the thing.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo's video page is finally up, but it's under heavy traffic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Jeez! You guys are acting like a bunch of gossipy egotistical teenage girl snap-judging with ruthless shallowness like a blood-thirsty beartrap
    Nice strawman, but it doesn't reflect the conversations going on in this thread.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    They should call it "Wii-Ping" (as in, weeping) for all the dedicated Nintendo fans The Big N loves to stomp. All three main pressers didn't offer much to me, but Nintendo's direction is most troubling and unnecessary. Replacement controllers will probably be pretty expensive.
    Wii U? More like Pii U, because frankly the thing stinks. Gimmicky and gimmickier again. While it seems neat, was it really necessary? Hell no. The Wiimote at least offered something we didn't have before (kinda)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice strawman, but it doesn't reflect the conversations going on in this thread.
    The U controller is the most ridiculous gaming device I've seen in years...possibly ever. Who the hell wants to hold on to that thing? Nintendo repeatedly mentioned how all Wii accessories would work with the Wii U...no kidding! No one will be using that monstrosity after an hour or so. God, what an embarrassment. Can't wait to see the Nintendo Mafia spin this one positive. Absolutely awful.

Hey everybody...I have a low-rez iPad that can't be used more than 15 feet away from my TV. It's the future! Lol.
    Hello "Strawman".
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Specs, or at least Nintendo-published technical details.

Launches:

Size:
    Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.

New Controller:
    The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

Other Controls:
    Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic ControllerTM, Classic Controller ProTM and Wii Balance Board™.

Media:
    A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.

Video Output:
    Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.

Audio Output:
    Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.

Storage:
    The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.

CPU:
    IBM PowerŪ-based multi-core microprocessor.

Other:
    Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

Interesting things:
    -No GameCube peripheral support
    -Six-Channel PCM via HDMI, so 5.1 digital but not 7.1? Also, no optical audio connection?
    -S-Video lives on in 2012
    -10.5" long... Not sure if that's the dimensions of the controller or the console. Controller is definitely kinda big though, now that I've seen more video of it.

Looks like the batteries are rechargeable this time. Note the screw-on back panel.

Last edited by NayusDante; 06-07-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This whole industry is unnecessary. It's luxury and entertainment! Everything starts as a 'gimmick' in these types of things, literally everything. It's just, repeat a gimmick enough or it survives and stays in use for so long and people forget that it ever was one.

Don't make me post hipster cat up in here!
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-07-2011 at 02:59 PM.