Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developer Panel Asks Whether AAA Games Are Too Long [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm conflicted. I don't mind modern games being 10-15 hours long but at the same time don't wanna spend $60 just for that. Then again I might not find any extras (multiplayer modes, challenge modes, what-have-you) appealing so even if the consensus says the game is chock full of stuff it still may not be worth it to me.

Probably the biggest issue with value is replayability. After you get through the story...then what? Play it again? If the biggest draw to a game IS the story, once you get past that, is the game play good enough to get you to keep playing?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Long or short....doesn't matter. I can list many great examples for either group. Kirby's Dream Land takes me around half an hour to finish but I still keep playing it over and over to no end and I did enjoy Persona 4's epic 100-hour dating-sim/dungeon crawler quest for every minute of it worth. Demon's Souls 60-hour addicting ass-busting, if ya lookin' for a modern gen example.

Video games, first and foremost, are a fun, exciting, and imaginative experience for the player, be it a $1 IPhone app, a $30 Gameboy cart or $60 PS3 disc. A decade or so ago, playing the game was rewarding in itself and the cutscenes you watched were a nice treat to watch but nowadays, in most modern titles, playing and watching has become a chore (or feels like it at least).
    Last edited by Press_Start; 07-23-2011 at 02:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    That's funny I had about the complete opposite experience with New Vegas as I was CONSTANTLY running into invisible walls as a treked around the wasteland and I never seemed to have that problem in Fallout 3. In many ways F:NV felt much more linear because around until you got to New Vegas the game was definitely pushing you as hard as it could to take a predetermined path weather it was invisible walls or devastating enemies down any alternatives. I was also disappointed at the huge 1/3 of the map section of the east that you couldn't explore as well...New Vegas really felt a ton more constrained to me then Fallout 3 where as in I picked a direction and would walk for hours picking up quests and doing random missions. The story and overall fell of New Vegas was better then its predecessor but that game was definitely way more constrained, at least it was in the way I play.
    Arriving at New Vegas wasn't even 20% of the game; The world opens up once you get there. The choices you make in New Vegas, opens up multiple paths and alliances that you can abuse and work to your advantage. Picking up a secondary character also worked with where you could and could not go.

Fallout 3 used a subway system that pretty much took you to segments of the map, but those areas were pretty much blocked off from going anywhere, but where the game wanted you to go. New Vegas is just so much more open, with it allowing you to attempt to try new areas, whether you were outmatched or able to overcome the obstacles. The level of exploration was pretty deep in comparison.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    A decade or so ago, playing the game was rewarding in itself and the cutscenes you watched were a nice treat to watch but nowadays, in most modern titles, playing and watching has become a choir (or feels like it at least).
    Modern games are church kids that sing to you? Kidding, I know what you mean. I've often felt the same way. It's why I often keep my Genesis and SNES hooked up and still buy games for them but rarely put any effort into collecting for my PS2.... and most of the things I DO buy are compilations of arcade classics. Call me crazy but if I was paying $50 for the Gradius Collection, it would still be more value for my money than the entire God of War trilogy.

(I've never played God of War, but they really don't sound up my alley)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Arriving at New Vegas wasn't even 20% of the game; The world opens up once you get there. The choices you make in New Vegas, opens up multiple paths and alliances that you can abuse and work to your advantage. Picking up a secondary character also worked with where you could and could not go.

Fallout 3 used a subway system that pretty much took you to segments of the map, but those areas were pretty much blocked off from going anywhere, but where the game wanted you to go. New Vegas is just so much more open, with it allowing you to attempt to try new areas, whether you were outmatched or able to overcome the obstacles. The level of exploration was pretty deep in comparison.
    I suppose that's my point, I don't like feeling like I'm railroaded through 20 percent of this style of game especially right at the beginning, hence it felt more linear then Fallout 3.

In both Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas once the tutorial section of the game was over I didn't care for following the main quest line period because in these games its not a strong point for me. In those games I literally could pick a direction and be completely immersed in the game by making decisions about where I wanted to go and who I wanted to talk to. I didn't get that feeling in New Vegas because If it wasn't massively overpowered enemies for your level it was invisible walls which threw me out of the game mindset, unlike the other two other games I mentioned.

Again since I had little interested in the main story path I just saw another subway tunnel as another way to get (relatively) quickly around the map or find something new and random to do or explore. I was about level 20ish (GOTY edition) before I continued the main quest line in Fallout 3 during my first play through by accidentally running into the Brotherhood of Steel defending Galaxy Radio after popping out of a tunnel I was exploring. I really enjoyed New Vegas but overall the game felt much more constrained to me.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    There can of course be room for the Final Fantasy's of the world. There will always be a place for 100 hour RPGs. Charge a premium for those if you must.
    The first time I realized how much filler was in a lot of video games was playing FF7, actually. There were several plot moments that I thought really just didn't need to be in the story and could be cut, and were probably placed in there just to increase the length.

I would be in favor of games having less "main" storyline and potentially more "fetch quests" or side-things that are not necessary to plough through the core of the game (but that could yield nice bonuses). I've also been gravitating towards games that I can "chip away at" a little at a time, like heybtbm mentioned - Terraria being my current fix, but also some Lost in Blue 2 and some other ones. Even Advance Wars 2 seems to require too much commitment in its longer missions, even though you can save and pick it back up later.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For $60/game I expect well in excess of ten hours of gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I suppose that's my point, I don't like feeling like I'm railroaded through 20 percent of this style of game especially right at the beginning, hence it felt more linear then Fallout 3.
    I'm guessing it's been awhile since you've played Fallout 3, but the railroad system pretty much forces you down a specific pathway, that will take you to one area of the map, or another. Once you're in that area, you can explore, but it's still boxed in with building rubble and natural blockades.

In both Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas once the tutorial section of the game was over I didn't care for following the main quest line period because in these games its not a strong point for me. In those games I literally could pick a direction and be completely immersed in the game by making decisions about where I wanted to go and who I wanted to talk to. I didn't get that feeling in New Vegas because If it wasn't massively overpowered enemies for your level it was invisible walls which threw me out of the game mindset, unlike the other two other games I mentioned.
    All 3 of these games are guilty of taking you down a specific pathway, in order to advance the game. I honestly don't think you've played enough of New Vegas to experience how open the world is, once you've spoken to the right people. I can pretty much go to any place on the map, since I've talked to everyone. The invisible walls are just bad design desicions, but a lot of those walls make sense, especially with the mountains in the West.

Again since I had little interested in the main story path I just saw another subway tunnel as another way to get (relatively) quickly around the map or find something new and random to do or explore. I was about level 20ish (GOTY edition) before I continued the main quest line in Fallout 3 during my first play through by accidentally running into the Brotherhood of Steel defending Galaxy Radio after popping out of a tunnel I was exploring. I really enjoyed New Vegas but overall the game felt much more constrained to me.
    You couldn't alway access every tunnel you wanted. You often had to talk to someone to get past some guy blocking the entryway.

I like the ability to warp around the maps in New Vegas. It makes it much more convenient to explore what you want to. Having to go through tunnels in Fallout 3, was the one part of the game I hated. The world offered in New Vegas is twice as big as that of Fallout 3; Its size may be a little too much to explore for some.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 07-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I'm guessing it's been awhile since you've played Fallout 3, but the railroad system pretty much forces you down a specific pathway, that will take you to one area of the map, or another. Once you're in that area, you can explore, but it's still boxed in with building rubble and natural blockades.

All 3 of these games are guilty of taking you down a specific pathway, in order to advance the game. I honestly don't think you've played enough of New Vegas to experience how open the world is, once you've spoken to the right people. I can pretty much go to any place on the map, since I've talked to everyone. The invisible walls are just bad design desicions, but a lot of those walls make sense, especially with the mountains in the West.

You couldn't alway access every tunnel you wanted. You often had to talk to someone to get past some guy blocking the entryway.

I like the ability to warp around the maps in New Vegas. It makes it much more convenient to explore what you want to. Having to go through tunnels in Fallout 3, was the one part of the game I hated. The world offered in New Vegas is twice as big as that of Fallout 3; Its size may be a little too much to explore for some.
    Everything your describing are fair sticking points for Fallout 3 but again that simply wasn't my experience playing the game.

I never felt like the DC ruins or the metro tunnels were some constricting mess because I wasn't following them to advance the story. I would hit a random entrance, which I would sometimes have to lockpick, and go exploring through the ruins. If I got bored I would quick travel out, I never felt like I had to go down the tunnels to open up the game world. It might of helped that I was a relatively high level when I had started exploring the tunnels and DC ruins but really never felt like the game gave me only one of two options. I can't emphasis enough how much I don't follow the main quest path in these games untill I'm bored enough to go ahead and try them.

Of course they are all going to have a path for you to travel down to advance the game's story, my problem with New Vegas is that it seemed to take so long before you could really explore and do whatever you wanted to. That period of time for me ended after the tutorial in Fallout 3 as it did in Oblivion. In New Vegas I never really felt like I could just pick a direction and go until about when I reached New Vegas, before that section you were pretty much forced down to follow the main highway that looped around southern part of the game world either due to gratuitous use of invisible walls to keep you "on the path" or enemies that were clearly designed to be content walls. It was frustrating to me because of the way I play these games, I didn't like being forced down a general path for so long.

Also your assumptions of me not playing through New Vegas or the game simply being too big for me to explore are wrong and are a little insulting. I wont claim to explore every section of the map in New Vegas but I did play through one complete file and another partial before I ended up selling the title. As I have said in EVERY post about this the game eventually opens up and is a really great title, but those several hours of feeling like I had to walk down this certain path was an annoying aspect to the way I play these games.

We are pretty much complaining about the same thing, the only difference is that I never felt like I had to go through the DC ruins to explore and have fun with the game where as in New Vegas you had to head down the same general path to open the rest of the game up.

(FYI I played the game on hardcore mode through both my completed play through and my attempted play through so that may have colored my opinion.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

(FYI I played the game on hardcore mode through both my completed play through and my attempted play through so that may have colored my opinion.)
    Well, yeah. I can imagine the game not being that enjoyable on hardcore. Still, it's not like you had to play the game 8 hours, before you got to New Vegas. I probably got there about hour 5 or 6. I've put in about 72 hours exploring the whole map. I could probably finish the game within a couple more hours, but there's some things I'd still like to checkout before I finish it. But, I've taken a couple of months off from the game, so I don't know when I'll go back.

I just think New Vegas offers more to explore, but what might be a setback, is that the game doesn't feel all that much different from Fallout 3.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 07-23-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Well, yeah. I can imagine the game not being that enjoyable on hardcore. Still, it's not like you had to play the game 8 hours, before you got to New Vegas. I probably got there about hour 5 or 6. I've put in about 72 hours exploring the whole map. I could probably finish the game within a couple more hours, but there's some things I'd still like to checkout before I finish it. But, I've taken a couple of months off from the game, so I don't know when I'll go back.

I just think New Vegas offers more to explore, but what might be a setback, is that the game doesn't feel all that much different from Fallout 3.
    I seriously don't know how else I can say that I really enjoyed New Vegas, I only felt like it was more linear then Fallout 3.

That being said I actually liked Hardcore mode, even though it was a bit of a bother making sure you were hydrated, well fed, and rested it brought me into the game world even more so I enjoyed it. The biggest change however was the lack of instant-heal items, that made approaching combat situations very different from Fallout 3 and I liked it. It made me develop different tactics and to largely be much more careful playing the game.

I only really ended up selling the title for two reasons. I received my copy as a gift for the PS3 and the game was supper buggy which became highly frustrating the longer the game went on. I'm going to pick up the inevitable DLC full (and hopefully less bug ridden) version whenever that is released on one disc. Other then the linear part that I didn't like it was an amazing game.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Long single player games have been loosing their appeal to me for years. I can't devote that much time anymore. My gaming time has slowly turned into "multiplayer with friends on weekend nights" and maybe an hour or two during the week after everyone is asleep. Shorter single player experiences sound nice...at first...

"Shorter games" really seems like an excuse for developers to cut costs and deliver a lesser, shittier product. I'm conflicted.

That being said, I'm going to play the hell out of Skyrim. 200+ hours here I come!

thats exactly what i said when i read that bullshit

they'll shave single player games down to 4 hours or less, then charge us 70 dollars for the privilege
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I seriously don't know how else I can say that I really enjoyed New Vegas, I only felt like it was more linear then Fallout 3.
    Fair enough. I thought it was quite the opposite, with Fallout 3 feeling a little more enclosed on where you could go.