Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS Vita US prices for Games and Memory Cards

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default PS Vita US prices for Games and Memory Cards

First off I'd like to say mother fucker. Uncharted is now listed as $49.99 at Amazon. It's still $39.99 everywhere else so hurry and preorder before the price increases. Little Deviants is now $39.99 on Amazon. Everything else is showing the same as originally announced. Vita game prices will range from $9.99 - $49.99.

The memory card prices are actually cheaper than recently announced. Still over priced, but atleast cheaper than what they were originally announced as. A 4GB can be purchased at Gamestop for $30 while a 32GB can be purchased for $120. Here are the new prices already updated at Amazon.

4GB for $20, 8GB for $30, 16GB for $60, and 32GB for $100.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-22-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nevermind
    Last edited by gepeto; 01-07-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm excited about Vita's potential and am a cautious advocate of the platform, but those prices are pretty crazy.

I wonder if Sony will slash the Vita's launch price quicker than Nintendo did for 3DS.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll probably still buy one at launch on Feb. 22 not Feb. 15 no 3G for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I'm excited about Vita's potential and am a cautious advocate of the platform, but those prices are pretty crazy.

I wonder if Sony will slash the Vita's launch price quicker than Nintendo did for 3DS.
    I am only speculating, I would wager they will be no quicker to go that route than Nintendo did. I just don't see Sony doing it. They would be wise to do it imo in order to strengthen their position in the handheld market. Who knows if it would help? So many factors with such an investment like they have with this.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Yeah, fuck those prices. I bought a PSP at launch, but I won't make that mistake again. I'm content with the breadth of game options available for Android that are a fraction of the price. $50 is pushing it for a console game IMO, let alone a game for a handheld.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Given the relatively mediocre Japanese sales numbers, I suspect these prices on systems, games and memory cards will fall pretty quickly once the US launch rolls around. The bad economy, competition from other portable devices and the fact that launch is right in the period when people start having to pay for the holiday credit card damage are going to create problems for the launch just like the 3DS hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Uncharted is the only Vita game listed at $49.99. The 3DS also has a high profile game at $49.99 as well though. Resident Evil Revelations is being released at that price.

As said above, according to Sony, the Vita game prices will be $9.99 - $49.99, with every other launch title being $29.99 or $39.99. First party games Wipeout 2048, Modnation Racers Road Trip, and Everybody's Golf are all $29.99.

So other than Uncharted, most launch titles are just as affordable as all releases on the Nintendo 3DS launch before price drop, and a few of them more affordable. Not only that, but Sony has mentioned they might make games purchased for the Vita from PSN be cheaper than physical copies. Rumor has it 40% cheaper. Why all the bitching? I'm sure Sony apologizes that they're not all free like you were expecting.

Also. Sure the Wii is a console. But those shovelware titles deserve to hit the market at $50 while a game that has had a lot of development costs put into it, regardless of console, cannot? Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D is a mini game that can be played on all Resident Evil titles but sold for $40 on the 3DS. Star Fox 64 3D is a port with 3D(oooo) and won't drop in price for a very long time. I'm sure Nintendo almost broke the bank developing that one. You may go back to your regularly scheduled bitching and moaning about everything not meeting your demands.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-22-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Cool, I'll probably pick up an 8 gig at launch since its only 10 bucks more then the 4 gig then wait for priced to drop/another cheaper alternative rolls around.

I haven't bought many psp games online, but most of them have been the compilation PSP releases like Metal Slug and such. I shouldn't have any problem with an 8 gig stick and even if it comes up I can always just transfer what I'm not playing to my PC or PS3 so again no biggie.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Uncharted is the only Vita game listed at $49.99. The 3DS also has a high profile game at $49.99 as well though. Resident Evil Revelations is being released at that price.

As said above, according to Sony, the Vita game prices will be $9.99 - $49.99, with every other launch title being $29.99 or $39.99. First party games Wipeout 2048, Modnation Racers Road Trip, and Everybody's Golf are all $29.99.

So other than Uncharted, most launch titles are just as affordable as all releases on the Nintendo 3DS launch before price drop, and a few of them more affordable. Not only that, but Sony has mentioned they might make games purchased for the Vita from PSN be cheaper than physical copies. Rumor has it 40% cheaper. Why all the bitching? I'm sure Sony apologizes that they're not all free like you were expecting.

Also. Sure the Wii is a console. But those shovelware titles deserve to hit the market at $50 while a game that has had a lot of development costs put into it, regardless of console, cannot? Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D is a mini game that can be played on all Resident Evil titles but sold for $40 on the 3DS. Star Fox 64 3D is a port with 3D(oooo) and won't drop in price for a very long time. I'm sure Nintendo almost broke the bank developing that one. You may go back to your regularly scheduled bitching and moaning about everything not meeting your demands.
    Nobody is asking for anything free nor is anyone praising Nintendo. Sony just seems very out of touch with the economic realities in the US and worldwide right now and launching a portable game at $50 on a system that starts at $250 and requires a mandatory memory card for non-download games seems both arrogant and foolish. Nintendo has had to deeply discount the 3DS and even first party games, so it seems pretty clear Sony will have to do the same after launch. It just seems stupid that Sony can't use Nintendo's very recent experience to come up with a better business plan, especially when the Vita Japanese launch wasn't close to a sell-out. Doesn't change the fact that the Vita and its games will probably be great, but I'm not paying $50 for a portable game regardless of what it is or for what platform and frankly, I'm pretty hardcore. Just imagine what mainstream consumers will think.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Nobody is asking for anything free nor is anyone praising Nintendo. Sony just seems very out of touch with the economic realities in the US and worldwide right now and launching a portable game at $50 on a system that starts at $250 and requires a mandatory memory card for non-download games seems both arrogant and foolish. Nintendo has had to deeply discount the 3DS and even first party games, so it seems pretty clear Sony will have to do the same after launch. It just seems stupid that Sony can't use Nintendo's very recent experience to come up with a better business plan, especially when the Vita Japanese launch wasn't close to a sell-out. Doesn't change the fact that the Vita and its games will probably be great, but I'm not paying $50 for a portable game regardless of what it is or for what platform and frankly, I'm pretty hardcore. Just imagine what mainstream consumers will think.
    Hasn't that been the story of Sony from the PS3 get-go?

$600 launch price for a console/blu-ray player/CELL(Linux) computer.

$100 for Lollipop Wiimote/HD Wii Sports plus Eye Camera sans $30 Nunchuck (which some Move titles require).

$500 Simulview, Sony's 3D Monitor for Simultaneous 2-Player Split Non-Splitscreen Viewing plus the $70 extra 3D glasses since Simulview bundled with.....one pair only.

As for the Vita, all I can say is $50 for a small game is too much. No seriously, the carts themselves are tiny as hell. They're the size of the top half of my thumb and thin like paper. It's like a Listerine strip, only harder to grasp. Even trying to handle the cart is a harrowing task in it of itself as the thing slipped out my hands twice just from "picking" it up. Don't get me started on the memory cards, they're 1/3-1/2 size of the game cart themselves no bigger than the area of my thumbnail and I'm talking from first-hand experience here.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So what started off as a $250 system is now turning into a $350+ purchase after buying a memory card and a game...nice work Sony! I may get a Vita, but it certainly won't be at launch.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 12-23-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Hasn't that been the story of Sony from the PS3 get-go?

$600 launch price for a console/blu-ray player/CELL(Linux) computer.

$100 for Lollipop Wiimote/HD Wii Sports plus Eye Camera sans $30 Nunchuck (which some Move titles require).

$500 Simulview, Sony's 3D Monitor for Simultaneous 2-Player Split Non-Splitscreen Viewing plus the $70 extra 3D glasses since Simulview bundled with.....one pair only.

As for the Vita, all I can say is $50 for a small game is too much. No seriously, the carts themselves are tiny as hell. They're the size of the top half of my thumb and thin like paper. It's like a Listerine strip, only harder to grasp. Even trying to handle the cart is a harrowing task in it of itself as the thing slipped out my hands twice just from "picking" it up. Don't get me started on the memory cards, they're 1/3-1/2 size of the game cart themselves no bigger than the area of my thumbnail and I'm talking from first-hand experience here.
    Sure, but I would say at least the PS3 launched in happier economic times and offered something that was pretty expensive at the time (Blu Ray) that in theory offered some additional value over just gaming. Of course, Move stuff dropped by 50% or more in price and the games can be had for $10 in some cases new. The Playstation monitor started at $500 and is $300 this week at Best Buy. I guess Sony is just too proud to pick a reasonable price on anything at launch to avoid deep discounting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Stuff
    hyp-o-crite noun /hi-pa-krit/

2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs and feelings.

How are you enjoying that 3DS you bought on day one.

I think I'm going to bitch about the Vita also. A $250 Vita that can do so much more than the 3DS and is slightly less powerful than a PS3 is way too expensive. Sony always overprices everything. Stupid fucking Vita game card slightly less width than a DS game card and a memory card that I'm only going to put in the Vita one time is larger than a Micro SD. HOW DARE THEY! Another thing. That huge screen makes it too big for a portable. Fucking Uncharted is $49.99, screw that shit. I'm not buying a Vita with overpriced games. The 3DS has much better games. I can't wait for Resident Evil Revelations. Day one purchase!

I'm getting a Vita with Uncharted day one. The Vita and an 4GB memory card at Amazon. Uncharted is preordered at Gamestop. Only $310. $20 more than if I was to buy one of the 3DS launch titles that weren't worth getting. If I also to preorder Little Deviants then only $10 more than if I was to purchase the 3DS with two launch titles.

If you're like me and eat out atleast two or three times a week, cook at home a few times and that will save you more than the price of a $40 game. Aside from toys and sports equipment, video games are an extremely inexpensive form of entertainment if you look at how much use out of a game you get in comparison to anything else.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-23-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

I am just amazed of the absolute hatred you have for nintendo for some strange reason. Did they shoot your dog or something?

Weird.
    Last edited by The Shawn; 12-23-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How are you enjoying that 3DS you bought on day one.
    Super Mario 3D Land was worth every penny. Thanks for asking.

I'm getting a Vita with Uncharted day one. The Vita and an 4GB memory card at Amazon. Uncharted is preordered at Gamestop. Only $310. $20 more than if I was to buy one of the 3DS launch titles that weren't worth getting. If I also to preorder Little Deviants then only $10 more than if I was to purchase the 3DS with two launch titles.
    Why don't you import? Both Vita and Uncharted have built-in English options, did you know? I should. I was playing my friend's imported copy the other day, it looked fantastic like any other Uncharted game though their awkward inopportune time with the touch screen is a bit of a nuisance. Though the import process would be expensive as hell and you'd have to make due til' PSN boots up Vita in your area, something my friend tried to no avail. Then again, why should money and time stop a big Sony fan like yourself, kupo?
    Last edited by Press_Start; 12-23-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I agree with this. I wasnt a huge fan of the 3DS, nor am I going to get the Vita anytime soon. The portable game market is just different than it has been in the past. It is like both Nintendo and Sony want to operate "same as always" with their systems and prices. I can predict now that Sony is in for a huge wake up call when their US sales are soft for their new portable at these prices. The fact that they did not launch here for the holidays will be a mistake that they will regret.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    I agree with this. I wasnt a huge fan of the 3DS, nor am I going to get the Vita anytime soon. The portable game market is just different than it has been in the past. It is like both Nintendo and Sony want to operate "same as always" with their systems and prices. I can predict now that Sony is in for a huge wake up call when their US sales are soft for their new portable at these prices. The fact that they did not launch here for the holidays will be a mistake that they will regret.
    Yeah, iOS and Android games have changed the portable gaming landscape. When I can get polished games with plenty of replay value for $1, it's hard to see a $40-$50 game for a handheld as a good value and worthwhile purchase.

I'd like a 3DS and a Vita, but I'm happy enough playing games on my tablet, PSP, and DS for the time being. Eventually I'll get a Vita and 3DS, but not until it's a hell of a lot more affordable than it is now.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm getting one at launch with Uncharted, just to big of a fan to pass down and really want to try the new Silent Hill game for the Vita. I love my 3DS and bought it at launch and should learn from what they did with slashing the price so fast but just like to have everything and really can't wait to get my hands on the Vita and start playing Uncharted.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    The portable game market is just different than it has been in the past. It is like both Nintendo and Sony want to operate "same as always" with their systems and prices. I can predict now that Sony is in for a huge wake up call when their US sales are soft for their new portable at these prices. The fact that they did not launch here for the holidays will be a mistake that they will regret.
    Basically what I came here to say.

Prediction Time:
    The Vita will be a bigger flop than the 3DS. I'm even leaning for a VirtuaBoy-type failure. The Vita will crash hard...that much is certain. The question is will it die in 2012 or limp into 2013 before Sony pulls the plug.

iPhone/Android/etc. has won the portable gaming battle. Dedicated portable gaming consoles are dead, but Nintendo and Sony don't seem to get it. End. Of. Story.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)