Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are some desirable or generally hard to find PSP games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Default What are some desirable or generally hard to find PSP games?

Now that I have a PSP it's time I got cracking down on collecting. I want to know what PSP games are difficult to obtain or hard to track down so i know what I'm looking at next time I go shopping. The only one I can think of off the top of my head would be Hexyz Force. Any help is appreciated

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Pretty much any game by Atlus or NIS is hard to find, or at least keep their value for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Pretty much any game by Atlus or NIS is hard to find, or at least keep their value for a long time.
    that's a given, most RPG fans know that their games are great too. But I am looking for specific titles, and I also want to know which games may not be valuable but had low print runs

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyrdsalesman View Post
    that's a given, most RPG fans know that their games are great too. But I am looking for specific titles, and I also want to know which games may not be valuable but had low print runs
    Dozens of PSP games had print runs below 10,000. It got to the point where Sony was the only one who would handle the discs because nobody could make a profit off the production.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Dozens of PSP games had print runs below 10,000. It got to the point where Sony was the only one who would handle the discs because nobody could make a profit off the production.
    Is that why almost every game is dirt cheap right now? I feel like there are very few PSP collectors right now, but who knows the market may shift. I think it's a great time to be buying PSP games

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Crimson Gem Saga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The Ys series, especially the collectors editions. R-Type Command, Riviera: The Promised Land, Valkyria Chronicles II, Outrun 2006, Persona, Guitaroo Man, and maybe the Gradius collection as well.

While probably not too rare, I'd recommend Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. It has Rhondo of Blood and Syphony of the Night.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 12-31-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    There are tons of Atlus and NIS PSP games that aren't worth that much. Probably way more than those that are somewhat holding their value.

The whole "Atlus/NIS = MONEY! R@RE!" equation basically died with the PS1/early PS2. Both companies stick with relatively conservative print runs due to the niche nature of their products, but their games still tend to be available in healthy numbers. Plus, EVERYBODY has this notion that games from these companies (and others like XSEED) are going to become impossible to find and valuable, so tons of people rush to buy or even hoard multiple copies, which only helps to saturate the market. The games that end up being truly rare and worth big money down the road are ones that go completely under everybody's radar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The games that end up being truly rare and worth big money down the road are ones that go completely under everybody's radar.
    I did a little research an I think that Pocket Pool has all the potential in the world to become rare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

There are tons of Atlus and NIS PSP games that aren't worth that much. Probably way more than those that are somewhat holding their value.

The whole "Atlus/NIS = MONEY! R@RE!" equation basically died with the PS1/early PS2. Both companies stick with relatively conservative print runs due to the niche nature of their products, but their games still tend to be available in healthy numbers. Plus, EVERYBODY has this notion that games from these companies (and others like XSEED) are going to become impossible to find and valuable, so tons of people rush to buy or even hoard multiple copies, which only helps to saturate the market. The games that end up being truly rare and worth big money down the road are ones that go completely under everybody's radar.
    It's all about supply and demand. Yeah, right now those games can be had for a reasonable price, but once the PSP has been cleared out of retail space, it's quite possible that the prices will rise.

I bought several Playstation and Dreamcast titles on the cheap, when retail was clearing them out, but the prices of those games doubled within a couple of years.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, yeah, there's no knowing. If a Greatest Hits game that sold millions can sell for 60 bucks like Final Fantasy VII had been, anything can happen.

But all the evidence points to Atlus and NIS games not being as rare and valuable in general as they were in the past. This idea that ALL of their games are going to be worth big bucks is just foolishness. They're probably playing into this myth themselves at this point, convincing their fans that they need to run out and buy their games RIGHT NOW. I mean, where's the big bucks for games like Metal Saga and Steambot Chronicles? And I bet tons of collectors rushed out to buy those because "OMG R@RE!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well, yeah, there's no knowing. If a Greatest Hits game that sold millions can sell for 60 bucks like Final Fantasy VII had been, anything can happen.

But all the evidence points to Atlus and NIS games not being as rare and valuable in general as they were in the past. This idea that ALL of their games are going to be worth big bucks is just foolishness. They're probably playing into this myth themselves at this point, convincing their fans that they need to run out and buy their games RIGHT NOW. I mean, where's the big bucks for games like Metal Saga and Steambot Chronicles? And I bet tons of collectors rushed out to buy those because "OMG R@RE!"
    True, but I'd look towards the higher rated titles that they have published for the PSP. I doubt a game like Generation of Chaos will ever be a must own title for the system, but there are several titles that look like they could become collectible in the near future. This title is most defineatly heading int that territory.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 12-31-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    True, but I'd look towards the higher rated titles that they have published for the PSP. I doubt a game like Generation of Chaos will ever be a must own title for the system, but there are several titles that look like they could become collectible in the near future.
    what about some of Aksys' collector's editions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

what about some of Aksys' collector's editions?
    I've been looking at one of their collector's edition titles and I honestly don't know if it will ever increase in value. If it starts dropping in price, I might pick it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

I've been looking at one of their collector's edition titles and I honestly don't know if it will ever increase in value. If it starts dropping in price, I might pick it up.
    well i think that sometimes the value doesn't lie much in the game itself, but in what originally came with it. If people just wanted to play the game they would pirate it instead of paying some obscene price. On the Aksys online store they have a few exclusive collectibles that come with some games they are selling, for example Fate/EXTRA has the limited edition everyone knows about, but if you buy it from their webstore you get an extra artbook. Jikandia: The Timeless Land comes with a phone strap. And did you know 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors came with a watch? I know that's a DS game but in the future it's small stuff like that that adds to the resale value of something

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Any of the Ys CE editions.
    Also Konami's Ark of Naphistim. Can go up to 90$

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The problem, though, is that most "limited editions" in the US really aren't that limited. They're commonly produced now, and produced in great quantities. Pre-order bonuses and web store exclusives are pretty common now too.

It's not a bad idea to invest in these sets when they're marked down low, though. It can be a pain to ensure you're getting every last little piece years down the road. But I'm probably just saying this because I'm a sucker for collector's edition PSP games, haha. In my own opinion at least, they're worth picking up when they're under $20. We just passed a good time of year to get them on mark down. I just picked up the collector's edition versions of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin for about $50 total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

The problem, though, is that most "limited editions" in the US really aren't that limited. They're commonly produced now, and produced in great quantities. Pre-order bonuses and web store exclusives are pretty common now too.

It's not a bad idea to invest in these sets when they're marked down low, though. It can be a pain to ensure you're getting every last little piece years down the road. But I'm probably just saying this because I'm a sucker for collector's edition PSP games, haha. In my own opinion at least, they're worth picking up when they're under $20. We just passed a good time of year to get them on mark down. I just picked up the collector's edition versions of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin for about $50 total.
    Yeah the collectors editions are pretty cheap due to overproduction, but I honestly think right now is the best time to be in the market for PSP games. Every console has it's niche of collectors, and ten years from now some things will be going for 10x what they are right now. After doing some research tonight here's a few of my predictions on HTF games in the future

Hexyz Force
    Undead Knight
    Pocket Pool
    Spelling Challenges and More
    Phantasy Star Portable 2
    Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner
    Crimson Gem Saga
    Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman
    Scrabble

Who knows, i may be completely wrong on some of these. Only time will tell

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Possibly Legend of Heroes 2-3 (US Numbering system) and most European release RPGS that didn't make it here ie: Tales of Eternia (In fact that one seems to be rather high already due to it being a cheaper alternative to the rarer PS1 version)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you jumped in the perfect time. With Vita coming and PSP supposedly going, many juicy items are easy to pick at bargain bin prices right now or will start to in the next year or so. Square Enix cut 3rd Birthday, Lord of Arcana, and Tactic Ogre to $10 already and plenty more coming with the holiday(s) shopping spree behind us. But that requires huntin' at the local GameStop/Play N' Trade as your best option outside of the mom n' pop game specialty shop since Best Buy/Target/etc. will hardly stock any PSP game older than a year. Good luck finding anything @ their online stores.

Are you also collecting boxed sets and pre-order bonuses too? Ys I&II, Oath in Felghana, Ys 7, Trials in the Sky, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona, Prinny...that's a good place to start. Another good place to strike early are titles not available via DLC. At least with the ones that do, you have a fall back in case you find them anywhere or are too much out of price ranger already.

One more important thing. Don't forget to have fun. Otherwise, collecting becomes a choir and that not what games are. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Hardly. Nearly all PSP sales are tracking ten-thousands higher above the 10K mark, not adding online purchase from internet conglomerates like Amazon which aren't counted at all. To top it off, Sony would be out of their minds (more so than usual) to print run extremely low quantities for so many different products.

It's all about supply and demand. Yeah, right now those games can be had for a reasonable price, but once the PSP has been cleared out of retail space, it's quite possible that the prices will rise.

I bought several Playstation and Dreamcast titles on the cheap, when retail was clearing them out, but the prices of those games doubled within a couple of years.
    It's not an exact science. Or I should say, it's not an exact science that's easy to predict the outcome. True, 15 years ago nobody gave a second thought for uncommon/unknown nes games or snes RPGs back in the day. Nowadays they have so dramatically rose in price, fueled by greedy, cash-driven Scrooges and dedicated collectors or 20 something money-in-hand adults who grew up with the system wanting to play what they missed out. But how long will the same happen for PSP? 5 years? 10? What will be the driving force behind it then? And then what about the out of left-field recent entries like Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) and Phantasy Star Online 1&2 (GC) already hitting over retail price @ nearly $70 a pop?
    Last edited by Press_Start; 12-31-2011 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/