Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retro games rock...everything else makes me sick...it's crap

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

but the bottom line is, saying that ALL modern game are whack is absolute stupidity. You should re-evaluate yourself as a gamer if you think that.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Retro games rock... everything else makes me sick... it's crap.
    PARADOX!

Last edited by kupomogli; 03-18-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pick up an old video game magazine from any generation and you'll see letters to the editor complaining about "modern" games ("I don't need to upgrade to 16-bit because I don't care about graphics). They should call such an attitude, retrobias.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also pick up any old video game magazine from the 90s and you have the proof in your hands how much better gaming was then compared to now. magazines then had 200-400 pages a month now gaming mags are going extinct and the ones out there have like 80 pages, and cost too much, ya i know the internet is to blame but still i believe the passion for gaming has mostly gone. it was just much more interesting and exciting in the 90's now far too many dumb idiots are into modern gaming and its too mainstream from my tastes and i dont care at all for war based games which seems 75% of games are these days. theres little variety, sure pretty 3d FPSs and uh, not much else. oh ya loads of rehashed racing games. gaming nearly died from me with the current generation. i have a ps3 and wii and ONE game for each, f1 2010 and wii sports and i could care less to get any more games, pretty pathetic, and i dont care about handhelds. despise them, and i never liked pc gaming. im just getting old and bitter i guess, 30 years old.. gaming has lost its magic for me.

the same goes for movies as well, they were hell of a lot better in the 90s than now, music too. and its not just nostalgia tons of young kids admit their generation is crap and for instance on youtube you will notice loads and loads of teenagers into 90s gaming cus they realize how cool it is, the massive variety of systems and games. lets take for instance, i dunno, the year 1995. you could buy at many stores NES SNES GEnesis 32X sega cd Saturn CD1 3do game boy game gear neo geo, turbografx , tg16, playstation, jaguar, jaguar cd i know right HOLY SHIT and the games to choose from and magazines, there was atleast 10 good gaming mags going, and the internet was fairly new. it was just an AWESOME time. way better that now. way better. economy was kick ass as well.
    Last edited by Kevincal; 03-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

/////
    Last edited by RulerStabInTheEye27; 11-20-2017 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love me some retro games (especially old arcade games) and I've talked about it many times on this forum. I enjoy the simplicity of those old games, where the main goal was to get the highest score. But there are a couple of current-gen games that I picked up dirt cheap on the PC that I have been enjoying lately. Some of them are pretty damn good to kill time with.

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree that the gaming magazine era was far much superior in the 80's and 90's. Those were the golden days.

The thing is gaming magazines do not dictate the actual gaming. If those type of publications existed these days, maybe they will
    actually introduce and promote the good stuff that is really out there.

So maybe it's the modern way of advertising and the modern trends is what's giving modern gaming such an overall bad image, especially towards a more retro gamer like most of us here. idk. just a thought

There are many good modern games out there, I don't really have the time or the energy to get into a completely new era of gaming, but I know theres some good stuff out there that they are doing now. They just feed us all the wrong BS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicTuneFilms View Post
    Sonic the Hedgehog is a difficult game
    This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that Sonic was difficult. While I enjoyed and beat Sonic 1-3 multiple times each I never once thought of them as difficult or hard.

Gaming is dead. Its too late to bring it back.
    How many years have people been saying PC gaming is dead? A decade or so. And you can still play games on your PC. I don't play PC games but my point is that gaming will never die. Neither will movies, tv, books or music. They will all just continue to evolve.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicTuneFilms View Post
    Modern games are essentially too easy now.
    I'll do one better. Games today play themselves. It's no longer "You vs Game", now it's "Game vs Itself and You the Button Monkey Sidekick". That's what happening, we're devolving into the "useful idiot" for 9-10 hours of mild, mediocre entertainment. And after watching the Call of "Doo"ty video, it only cements the fact companies aren't developing for people that like to play games but people that like to watch them. The video game industry is becoming a spectator's sport and it's painfully obvious that we no longer play as the heroes, just the sidekicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    I'll do one better. Games today play themselves. It's no longer "You vs Game", now it's "Game vs Itself and You the Button Monkey Sidekick". That's what happening, we're devolving into the "useful idiot" for 9-10 hours of mild, mediocre entertainment. And after watching the Call of "Doo"ty video, it only cements the fact companies aren't developing for people that like to play games but people that like to watch them. The video game industry is becoming a spectator's sport and it's painfully obvious that we no longer play as the heroes, just the sidekicks.
    Have you played Demon's Souls?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Button Monkey Sidekick
    nice...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Have you played Demon's Souls?
    You forgot Dark Souls.

It doesn't undercut my point though. Actually, it's the exception that proves the rule. I believe SCEA didn't want to localize in the US cause they thought it was too hard.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're playing Call of Duty for campaign mode, you're doing it wrong.
    Multi-player is the exact opposite of the hand-holding theme-park ride that passes for a single-player game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Three Pages? Seriously? Why are you guys replying to this thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

You forgot Dark Souls.

It doesn't undercut my point though. Actually, it's the exception that proves the rule. I believe SCEA didn't want to localize in the US cause they thought it was too hard.
    Yeah, but there are plenty of difficult games on the current gen consoles. Just because you can play Bioshock on normal difficulty, doesn't mean that you can't make it more challenging by cranking up the difficulty levels. The same with Fallout: New Vegas or Dead Space.

Seriously, there's too many people trying to compare arcade style games to next gen games that are anything but that genre. Why not compare them to something like Geometry Wars, Pac-Man C.E., Super Stardust or Street Fighter IV?
    I could list a bunch of games from the 16-bit era that were not difficult at all, like The Legend of Zelda: LTTP, Secret of Mana, Lunar: SSS, Snatcher or Starfox. If you're playing games in this generation that are too easy for you, then maybe you need to be a little more selective with your purchases, especially when someone buying a kiddy game like Sonic and the Secret Rings finds it too easy and doesn't seem to know why it is that way.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-19-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ziggy3008

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I was drunk.

edit: ahhh shit, four pages

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favourite 16-bit games are pretty easy.
    I could probably teach my cat to beat Golden Axe, Castle of Illusion, or Actraiser.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, but there are plenty of difficult games on the current gen consoles. Just because you can play Bioshock on normal difficulty, doesn't mean that you can't make it more challenging by cranking up the difficulty levels. The same with Fallout: New Vegas or Dead Space.
    1) I find it funny how often "gamers" want an easy game but hate to admit it or consider it "Normal". Like a psychological oxymoron or using training wheels and calling it anything but.

2) Why can't the reverse be true? Hey, we got GameFAQs, strategy guides, tutorials, playthroughs, walkthroughs, online tips, video game forums, game sites, and the kitchen sink at our fingertips in the age of digital and social media helping us 31 ways to Sunday 24/7, do modern games really need an "easy" default? The answer is no, it's overkill! So, let Normal be "Normal". Let Easy be "Easy". And let Hard be "Hard". If you get your butt kicked in Normal difficulty, that's okay (barring bad game design, horrible unbalance, faulty mechanics, unsound fundamentals, and what not).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I could probably teach my cat to beat Golden Axe, Castle of Illusion, or Actraiser.
    No cat has the attention span to play simulation mode.

TE Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    it's just a small debate that's all.

people forgot about the OP anyways. screw the oP.