I think a good point has been raised that shovelware producers are really the last to go when it comes to game development. Oh, I miss the old days when the last games were actually some pretty decent stuff (Can't argue with the NES finishing up with Jungle Book and Wario's Woods and the Saturn had about 4-5 games that some consider the best in the console's history and Dreamcast had arguably the best hockey game of the time with NHL 2K2).

I've been following the 3DS obsessively. It's really dependent on your definition of shovelware, of course, but the shovelware "glut" really hasn't seem to get going until recently...it seems the regulars (i.e. Maximum Family, Storm City, Giant Media Group and of course the "life simulators" from THQ and others) are going to hit the 3DS scene hard in the next few months. Red Wagon Games and D3 have put a couple things out there, but true shovelware hasn't really infected the 3DS library until now. It's a tad sobering - I didn't really want to see the 3DS library go the same was as the DS's did... Anyway, my point is, it does take a year or two for these publishers to transition from one console to the next. For example, I highly doubt Maximum Family is prepping stuff for Wii U's launch...