Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Pandoras tower getting released in NA by XSEED games this spring

Finally! I didnt have hope for this one coming over, good job XSEED! I will definitely buy it! this one may become one of the rarest rpgs for wii since its such a late release.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

To be honest, I'm surprised too. At this point I didn't expect any releases of note to be announced for the Wii, let alone Pandora's Tower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Better late then never id say at this point i know i'll preorder the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope we get the sexy black case japan got, or maybe a collector's edition or something. But yeah, this did really surprise me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Esquire Fox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, so Operation Rainfall was a complete success after all. Perhaps XSEED would be kind enough to localize Bravely Default next.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    I hope we get the sexy black case japan got, or maybe a collector's edition or something. But yeah, this did really surprise me.
    Considering the treatment they gave 'The Last Story', I'd say we can expect at least some kind of special first print edition. They'll probably throw in the soundtrack as a pre-order bonus if it isn't already included in the box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hate to be down on it, but too little too late for me. Perhaps when wii gets into that ghetto basement pricing before age hits a level prices go upward again I may nab it (and Last Story) but not now, wii is very dead for me as I have enough on my plate as it is with the WiiU I can barely find time for and my 3DS, plus I got Doshin the Giant the other day for GC and that's fun and bite sized with 30min days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Hate to be down on it, but too little too late for me. Perhaps when wii gets into that ghetto basement pricing before age hits a level prices go upward again I may nab it (and Last Story) but not now, wii is very dead for me as I have enough on my plate as it is with the WiiU I can barely find time for and my 3DS, plus I got Doshin the Giant the other day for GC and that's fun and bite sized with 30min days.
    Well you might not want to wait too long, Last Story and Xenoblade are still holding their current prices pretty darn well considering their age. It's just conjecture, but I would guess that since they both had pretty small print runs as well they may be pricier titles in the future since they came out near the end of the Wii's life.

Oddly enough, I got an email from GameStop a couple of months ago telling me to trade in Xenoblade since the trade in value on it went up. I just chuckled at the whole thing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire Fox View Post
    Ah, so Operation Rainfall was a complete success after all. Perhaps XSEED would be kind enough to localize Bravely Default next.

Considering the treatment they gave 'The Last Story', I'd say we can expect at least some kind of special first print edition. They'll probably throw in the soundtrack as a pre-order bonus if it isn't already included in the box.
    Actually, Operation Rainfall had nothing to do with it. In fact, they defrauded a bunch of people out of those crappy cardboard cases they promised to send out for people who donated.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Well you might not want to wait too long, Last Story and Xenoblade are still holding their current prices pretty darn well considering their age. It's just conjecture, but I would guess that since they both had pretty small print runs as well they may be pricier titles in the future since they came out near the end of the Wii's life.

Oddly enough, I got an email from GameStop a couple of months ago telling me to trade in Xenoblade since the trade in value on it went up. I just chuckled at the whole thing.
    There's no knowing what crazy things demand could do (just look at Final Fantasy VII), but XSEED has publicly stated that The Last Story is their most successful release to date. So, unless they mean that in some kind of strange way, we can take that as meaning The Last Story has had a bigger print run than any other XSEED release, late Wii release or not, and therefore is probably fairly common and shouldn't pull in that much money down the road unless the demand gets really ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    There's no knowing what crazy things demand could do (just look at Final Fantasy VII), but XSEED has publicly stated that The Last Story is their most successful release to date. So, unless they mean that in some kind of strange way, we can take that as meaning The Last Story has had a bigger print run than any other XSEED release, late Wii release or not, and therefore is probably fairly common and shouldn't pull in that much money down the road unless the demand gets really ridiculous.
    Wow, I didn't know that. I'm always happy when XSEED does well, because it means more Ys games if we're lucky Was it only the first printing which had all the bonuses and stuff too then?

I was probably thinking more about Xenoblade specifically even though the OP didn't mention it, that seems to be going for rather high prices at this point already.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, it was when they sold out of all the premium copies of The Last Story that they announced that it had been their most successful release and that they were doing another print run of standalone copies. Although I guess they must've manufactured plenty of premium copies for those alone to outsell every other XSEED release.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Eh, I wasn't as keen on this one as Xenoblade or Last Story, but I'll still pick it up to support Xseed and let the Big N know we still love our niche titles.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I played it for about 2 hours, its not as good as xeno or last story, but its definitely not a bad rpg. id give it a 7 out of 10 so far...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    You're going to regret it. Xenoblade Chronicles already selling on Ebay for $60 or $70 after NA numbers destroyed sales in Europe and Japan and that's just being a Gamestop exclusive alone. Last Story was and still is XSEED's best selling release to date that they've already published a second print run and I bet a big reason pushing them into localizing Pandora too. My buddy at Gamestop already beat himself up for trading in his sealed TSL copy, now has to drive 12 extra miles to the nearest one as all the local Gamestops have sold out.

The niche market is small but reliably solid and with a powerful voice....our money. So far, both games here have surpassed Europe's and have equal/overtaken Japan's, I'm definitely sure we'll do it again with Pandora's Tower as the Wii does live on in the WiiU and all XSEED has to do to remind people it's "Wii U compatible".
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Imported the game last year. It's a decent romp and fun if you like a Castlevania/Rygar vibe. Now can Xseed please bring over Earthseeker. My Japanese copy I only made it 10 min in as I could not get what to do as I don't speak Japanese

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    You're going to regret it. Xenoblade Chronicles already selling on Ebay for $60 or $70 after NA numbers destroyed sales in Europe and Japan and that's just being a Gamestop exclusive alone. Last Story was and still is XSEED's best selling release to date that they've already published a second print run and I bet a big reason pushing them into localizing Pandora too. My buddy at Gamestop already beat himself up for trading in his sealed TSL copy, now has to drive 12 extra miles to the nearest one as all the local Gamestops have sold out.

The niche market is small but reliably solid and with a powerful voice....our money. So far, both games here have surpassed Europe's and have equal/overtaken Japan's, I'm definitely sure we'll do it again with Pandora's Tower as the Wii does live on in the WiiU and all XSEED has to do to remind people it's "Wii U compatible".
    I don't follow your argument here. If these games are selling so many copies, why do you think they're going to be so hard to find and expensive later on? I don't know about Xenoblade since, as far as I know, it's only gotten a single print run and they may have underestimated the demand and went with a fairly limited run, but still, if game collecting history has taught us anything, it's that the more common a game is, the cheaper it'll be (outside of lunacy like with FFVII). They may not be cheap now, but I'm not so sure that they won't be once the initial hype has passed. I would be more inclined to think that Xenoblade and Last Story would end up valuable if the sales were poor. Then it would just be a matter of the acclaim snowballing over the years and people fighting over the limited number of copies, like with Suikoden 2 and Valkyrie Profile. Granted, I don't expect games like Xenoblade and Last Story to see heavy markdowns, and being well-loved RPGs, they'll probably never be dirt cheap. But down the road I wouldn't be surprised if they could be had for around $20.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I don't follow your argument here. If these games are selling so many copies, why do you think they're going to be so hard to find and expensive later on? I don't know about Xenoblade since, as far as I know, it's only gotten a single print run and they may have underestimated the demand and went with a fairly limited run, but still, if game collecting history has taught us anything, it's that the more common a game is, the cheaper it'll be (outside of lunacy like with FFVII). They may not be cheap now, but I'm not so sure that they won't be once the initial hype has passed. I would be more inclined to think that Xenoblade and Last Story would end up valuable if the sales were poor. Then it would just be a matter of the acclaim snowballing over the years and people fighting over the limited number of copies, like with Suikoden 2 and Valkyrie Profile. Granted, I don't expect games like Xenoblade and Last Story to see heavy markdowns, and being well-loved RPGs, they'll probably never be dirt cheap. But down the road I wouldn't be surprised if they could be had for around $20.
    TLS only sold around 100K est. So it's not a whole lot. XB is already fetching prices of 60$ used in some places.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

You also have to account for desirability. It all comes down to how much people are willing to spend on a game, and how much people are willing to sell it for.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    You also have to account for desirability. It all comes down to how much people are willing to spend on a game, and how much people are willing to sell it for.
    True, they made billions of copies of Super Mario World (hyperbole, I know) but it still goes for $10-$15 because it's a good game and people want to play it. If quantity available always dictated price than it would probably be like a $3 game.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

100,000 is pretty decent by US-released Japanese RPG standards. Off the top of my head, I know Radiata Stories sold 120,000 in total overseas (non-Japan) sales (so less yet for the US), and that game isn't remotely considered rare. In fact, it has a rarity of 1 in the Digital Press guide, which is as common as the scale gets, and we can assume The Last Story would get a 1 or 2 too with its similar sales. Plus, this is not even getting into the fact that there was a second print run, which I would guess is probably not less than 50,000. When all is said and done, The Last Story is probably going to be more common than most US-released Japanese RPGs. I mean, we already know it's more common than every single other RPG in XSEED's catalog, so I'd be more inclined to pick some other well-loved title in their library as something that would likely go up in value down the road.

I don't put a lot of weight into initial hype-spurred spikes in value. Games like The World Ends With You, Etrian Odyssey, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Disgaea, Katamari Damacy, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. etc. were all selling for more than their full MSRP not that long after their releases because the initial demand was surpassing their availability. Then after reprints (some of which some people never saw coming [and were crushed and angered when their expensive game lost value]) or the interest simply waning as the games got older, the values dropped.

I am accounting for demand, which is why I'm saying they could possibly pull in $20, which is about the average price for PS1 RPGs that are well-liked, but I think expecting them to have high values later on is a bit much. Sure, it's theoretically possible, just like how Final Fantasy VII went for a lot despite boatloads of copies being out there, but just assuming that they're going to be impossible to find and really expensive when the signs aren't really there borders on fear-mongering. It's like with the old adage about how Atlus games supposedly always become rare/valuable, which convinced many gamers/collectors to snatch up all their games at the full MSRP, despite that many of their games, RPGs included, have seen heavy markdowns and are still extremely cheap and common. But as long as gamers are kept scared, thinking they'll have to pay out the nose later on, they'll keep dropping full price on game after game. In fact, it might be fear to blame for Xenoblade selling above MSRP right now. These people may be rushing to buy and paying extra because everybody is convincing them that it'll be even more expensive later.