Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii U!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii U!

Hello everyone, I am new here, so if this is a rehash of an old(er) thread, then I am sorry.

I was just wondering what everyones' opinion of the Wii U was at this point? I am currently saving for one, but I just wanted to get a feel for what the thing has to offer before i drop $350 on it. Believe me, I am pumped for the console, cannot wait to play Zelda and Smash Bros. in glorious HD. I am just not sure whether I should wait a bit, or dive right in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

if you want outdated 7 year old hardware that wont have any support, but from Nintendo.....go for it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    if you want outdated 7 year old hardware that wont have any support, but from Nintendo.....go for it.
    A good PC and a Wii U are all you need.

And it's already getting exclusives and support from third parties, so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What I would do is wait for two things:

1. A full $100 price drop

2. Some actual freaking games

Then, pick one up and enjoy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I guess my goal with this thread wasn't to attract the Nintendo haters, but rather to hear people's opinions who have tried out the Wii U. I tend to thoroughly enjoy Nintendo exclusives, Nintendo games (with the exception of Skyrim), are my favorites. I was looking for people who have tried out the gamepad, or like how the "Miiverse" is set up. If you dislike Nintendo, that is fine. Just do it somewhere other than here.
    Last edited by ZP3; 03-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    What I would do is wait for two things:

1. A full $100 price drop

2. Some actual freaking games

Then, pick one up and enjoy.
    Do you think a price drop is imminent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think a price drop is probable but not until later this year.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I think a price drop is probable but not until later this year.
    That would be nice, I suppose Nintendo would almost have to with the proposed release of PS4 and Xbox 720

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have one and I love it. I agree that i have my pc and my wii u, and for modern gaming thats all i need. there's not a whole lot of games/experiences i can get out of sony or microsoft that i cant out of my pc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Do you think a price drop is imminent?
    I'd be shocked if there isn't a price drop by July or August. Nintendo could easily announce a new price at e3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see Nintendo doing a price drop this year unless the system continues to sell poorly once all their big games start to come out. But they most likely won't be making that announcement until after they see how well the system does with a Zelda, Metroid and a few other major first party releases hit the shelves. So no sooner than the fall but probably not until next year.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate reading peoples thoughts on Nintendo nowadays. Third parties dont like to work with Nintendo because before the 32 bit era Nintendo treated them horribly, that why their systems starting with the N64 havent had a lot of great third party games on them.

So what if the system doesnt play blu ray disks or have massive specs like the other systems. All that matters are games and its only the beginning of its life span. There will be great Zelda and Mario games for it and other great Nintendo made games, and those will sell the system. The only thing that video game consoles should worry about is having some great games on it, not if it has a web browser or if you can play movies on it. Fuck Sega for making people care about specs.

Theres a troll on another message board Ive been on who always brought up how Apple will destroy Nintendo and Sony when they enter the video game business because of this or that. Whatever, if you solely play a game because of brand or the technology behind then fine, I guess youd say all the games released last year are crap and games on older systems should be scrounged from the earth. Materialism like that, if people actually htink that way, is the death of the industry.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-07-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I agree with The 1 2 P. I just don't see any price drop this year. Chances are pretty good that the U will be the cheapest of the 3 systems once the NextBox and PS4 are released. Nintendo can be pretty stubborn at times, and I see them holding their ground, especially after a few highly anticipated 1st party games are released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I think the Wii U is fun, I don't personally own one, but it's fun for what it is. I'm personally waiting to see what first party games come out and hoping for a possible upcoming price drop. Though as things currently are, I think I'd have more fun with a 3DS. Same story I suppose, I wasn't too into the 3DS launch, but now there are a good amount of games for it that I actually want to play. Overall, if you want it and think you'll enjoy it, go buy one.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I don't see Nintendo doing a price drop this year unless the system continues to sell poorly once all their big games start to come out. But they most likely won't be making that announcement until after they see how well the system does with a Zelda, Metroid and a few other major first party releases hit the shelves. So no sooner than the fall but probably not until next year.
    I slightly disagree. I think a holiday price cut ($300~$250 maybe $225) will put WiiU in the perfect sweet spot as "next-gen graphics" make certain PS4 and Xbox 720 won't come out of the gate dirt cheap ($400~$500) along side the release of NEW killer first party lineup (i.e. Mario, Zelda, Yoshi) on top of the games already release(d) in 2012/3 (NSMBU, ZombieU, Nintendoland, Lego City Undercover, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, etc.) plus the entire Wii library (given MS doesn't make 720 BC).
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the comments about waiting for games and a price drop. What reason is there to buy one now?

Remember, the 3DS got a price drop from $250 to $170 I believe... within FOUR MONTHS of poor sales. WiiU sales in January were downright horrible, the Xbox360 sold 8x as many units in January I believe. The price drop is right around the corner, you'll see it before summer I bet.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up getting a Wii U Deluxe Set for free (contest), and in 35 years of playing video games I've never had such a bad first impression of a console. Very kludgy, kitchen-sink kind of thing. Frequent and lengthy system updates, confusing interface, Netflix app crashes every time (google search says network config issue, but still annoying), lengthy series of steps to move Wii data over (which is an irreversible one time transfer, so after the 20 minute process I cancelled), lots of waiting on the UI, and few games that interest me... The GamePad's range isn't as long as I'd like (I have the system in my studio, but i can't sit on the couch in the living room 30 feet away with the gamepad). I played one quick round of the Balloon Fight spinoff in Nintendo Land, and my impression was "a $0.99 iOS game with unnecessary touch controls on the TV." I'd rather play Balloon Fight. Haven't really explored Nintendo Land beyond that, but first impression wasn't great.

3rd party support is gone and not coming back, and it's going to take Nintendo a while to get 1st party games out there. I don't see a path forward for the system.

There are parts of the system I like - the gamepad screen looks great, the eShop channel is much better than on the Wii, and the controller is actually pretty light and comfortable, there was a lot of functionality (when it works) like Netflix, Youtube Channel, etc. The Monster Hunter demo I played did look pretty, although I didn't like the game that much.

Caveat: I've pretty much given up on current-gen's games. I just don't have the time and interest. I don't care about any of the titles currently out, and it'd probably going to be hard for me to get really excited about any new system. I can't blame the Wii-U for that. I have no interest in the 720 or P4, either, and I haven't played a game on my 360 in 2 years. That said, I was hoping to play some VC games or watch Netflix in bed on the GamePad, and maybe rent the occasional release like ZombieU or Tank! Tank! Tank! I would not pay $300+ for the system, though. As was said, there's some potential, but it needs exclusive games and a big price drop.

Just my 2c. I hope things turn around, and I'm sure some people are loving the system. There are some cool features, and if there are games you want then that's a good enough reason to pick one up.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire; 03-07-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say wait. Wait for some of these games to actually appear, by that time maybe Nintendo will reduce the price. I have one and dust it off once a week, not to play it, just to clean. I am looking really forward to the future but for now, keep saving.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I bought a Wii U on launch day. I played the crap out of it when I first got it, but now I don't really see many other games I want that I don't already have. I own Nintendo Land, Mario, and Scribblenaughts. I also downloaded a couple games as well. I've got to say I haven't played it since early January, because there hasn't been anything new that I want to play. Do I regret buying it on launch day? not at all, should I have waited on buying one? maybe.

The thing with me is that I buy every new console, and portable, on launch day. As long as its easily available on launch day that is. As long as I have the money for the next gen consoles, I'll be buying those on launch day as well. Just figured I'd give you my system buying habits so you know how to take my opinion. I just love gaming all around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    I slightly disagree. I think a holiday price cut ($300~$250 maybe $225) will put WiiU in the perfect sweet spot as "next-gen graphics" make certain PS4 and Xbox 720 won't come out of the gate dirt cheap ($400~$500) along side the release of NEW killer first party lineup (i.e. Mario, Zelda, Yoshi) on top of the games already release(d) in 2012/3 (NSMBU, ZombieU, Nintendoland, Lego City Undercover, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, etc.) plus the entire Wii library (given MS doesn't make 720 BC).
    I also think a holiday price drop would help them greatly but sometimes these game publishers don't make the best decisions. Just look at Sony. The Vita is also not selling and now is the best time to drop the price before the next gen consoles launch and start taking mind share. But instead they chose to only drop the price in Japan, making sure that the Vita will continue to collect dust on store shelves for the forseeable future. Technically the Wii U sold so horribly in January(for a new system with no supply contraints) that they should have dropped the price right then and there. But they didn't and I have a feeling they are going to continue to wait until after their first big wave of first party releases hit the streets. So like I said in my first post, that could indeed be by this fall but I'm thinking it's more likely to happen next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Words iManifest View Post
    I have one and dust it off once a week, not to play it, just to clean.
    I think thats how alot of Wii U users have felt lately
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.