Thread: Wii U!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

I got one for christmas and love it. Zombiu is awesome. Really brought survival horror back, because its damn hard to survive, and can be quite intense and creepy once you really get into it. Awesome part is it plays online where during your adventure youll run into online player's characters that died and are now zombies and you can kill them and take all the stuff they had in their bag before they died. And you can see who has killed your characters, though that feature doesnt seem to work for me.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    I got one for christmas and love it. Zombiu is awesome. Really brought survival horror back, because its damn hard to survive, and can be quite intense and creepy once you really get into it. Awesome part is it plays online where during your adventure youll run into online player's characters that died and are now zombies and you can kill them and take all the stuff they had in their bag before they died. And you can see who has killed your characters, though that feature doesnt seem to work for me.
    I'm not going to lie, that sounds awesome. Everything I have heard about ZombieU is that it is a fantastic game. Really looking forward to picking it up once I get the Wii U.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All these complaints remind me of the first Wii. When that came out everyone was saying how bad it was gonna fail, no games, etc. It took awhile, but I am pretty sure the Wii ended up doing pretty well. Too bad Rayman didnt come out on timefor the WiiU, that game is amazing. Played it at Nintendo's summer party in Denver and thought it was the best game in the line-up.

I tell you what, I will NOT be buying another MS product. A little over a year after buying the 360 and not playing it much.....booooom! It dies. I send it in, get it back......two years later Booom! It dies again. I have to send it back again, only this time I am stuck cuz I have a shit load of games and if it breaks I gotta buy another. Screw that, I will wait for Nintendo to release some games and take a look at the PS4, but I aint gonna give MS anymore $$$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    I agree with the comments about waiting for games and a price drop. What reason is there to buy one now?

Remember, the 3DS got a price drop from $250 to $170 I believe... within FOUR MONTHS of poor sales. WiiU sales in January were downright horrible, the Xbox360 sold 8x as many units in January I believe. The price drop is right around the corner, you'll see it before summer I bet.

I concur.

Nintendo knows how they saved the 3DS in America. It was Mario and Mario Kart, but you can't discount the price drop as well. It was that 1,2 punch of the big games and the price drop. Timing is everything. Nintendo is in a VERY precarius situation right now. Wii U projects are being cancelled left and right. They are probably under tremendous pressure from retailers that don't want to take up valuable shelf space on a product that isn't selling. I'm sure the same thing is happening with Vita, in regards to retail. Target and Wal-Mart and Best Buy and GameStop give the Wii U valuable shelf space in prime locations, in all their retail stores. They don't like having stock of a product just sitting there.

That is going to put some pressure on Nintendo. They probably felt the same pressure with the 3DS launch.

A price drop is absolutely mandatory, in addition to trying to get at least one really compelling game out. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Lego City, those all might be great games, but I'm not sure those games are going to move the needle all that much. Especially with the high price. How soon is Mario Kart or the 3D Mario going to be ready? I thought I heard something about Mario Kart coming in August or something, but if nobody has seen a single screen shot of it, how can you expect it to be that far along ? That might be Nintendo's biggest problem. It's going to take them too long to get one of their huge franchise games out there.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Like others have said I'm going to wait until a price drop and a better selection of games. I do buy pretty much all the consoles that come out but I also wait until their prices drop and more games come out. I'm in no hurry to pick one up right away so it won't be a problem waiting and even then I'll look on Craigslist and buy a used one in good condition for a great price.

I will say I think it's a great console and I look forward to buying one in the future. (Take my opinion with a grain of salt though as I like my Virtual Boy )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

May I ask why everybody thinks it needs a price drop? It will be the cheapest "current" gen system out once the PS4 and the 720 are released. I know many think a price drop will happen, but all I think it needs are some top quality games to back the system up. I just don't see a price drop happening this year. I could see a good bundle though possibly come Christmas time.
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 03-08-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    May I ask why everybody thinks it needs a price drop? I will be the cheapest "current" gen system out once the PS4 and the 720 are released. I know many think a price drop will happen, but all I think it needs are some top quality games to back the system up. I just don't see a price drop happening this year. I could see a good bundle though possibly come Christmas time.
    I don't think it necessarily needs to happen, but it's already happening here and there:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...console-prices

Alternately, Ubisoft apparently feels it's needed:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/7/4074...elp-game-sales

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    I don't think it necessarily needs to happen, but it's already happening here and there:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...console-prices

Alternately, Ubisoft apparently feels it's needed:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/7/4074...elp-game-sales
    Just so people know, it was a honest question. I think the U just needs a few things.

1. The obvious answer, better games.
    2. Better marketing. The launch was a flop. Many didn't even know there was a new Nintendo console. Some though it was just a peripheral for the old Wii.
    Last edited by fluid_matrix; 03-08-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Just so people know, it was a honest question. I think the U just needs a few things.

2. Better marketing. The launch was a flop. Many didn't even know there was a new Nintendo console. Some though it was just a peripheral for the old Wii.
    Maybe they should release a cheaper unit that is not backward compatible with Wii and just call it the Nintendo U so it doesn't have Wii in its name. Then people would know it's a different system and use the excuse that the existing Wii U is called such because it is both a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo U hybrid console model.

Maybe a bad idea but it's the only way I'd see them separating the old console from the new branding.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read something a little while ago that said the Vita outsold the Wii U in Japan last month, but I'm sure there are other factors that might play into that. I do agree there need to be more games for the Wii U though. I don't really know anyone who was confused by the name though. Then again, most people I know that know anything about games are probably more interested than the average user.

The Wii U did comparably compared to the 360 and the PS3 during their respective launch and post-launch periods, but I know in another thread that argument was countered by someone mentioning a different economic climate at the time and differences in the availability of those consoles was also a factor that was mentioned. I still think it's possible the Wii U, because there's *not* a shortage, simply saturated the pool of early adopters of any new console, with a more punctuated burst of sales instead of a steady trickle of them as months go by.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Maybe they should release a cheaper unit that is not backward compatible with Wii and just call it the Nintendo U so it doesn't have Wii in its name. Then people would know it's a different system and use the excuse that the existing Wii U is called such because it is both a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo U hybrid console model.

Maybe a bad idea but it's the only way I'd see them separating the old console from the new branding.
    Thats actually a horrible idea. Backwards compatibility is a great thing for Nintendo to have since apparently the PS4 isnt going to be compatible with PS3 game disks. Nintendo really did drop the ball on the marketing, and the name was the worst part. They should have maybe called it the Nintendo, technically the first console was the Nintendo Entertainment System. So they could have just called the The Nintendo. haha

Oh and can someone tell me why everyone is making such a big deal about how many units its selling after the christmas rush? It did well for a console so far. It doesnt have a lot of great games, because its only been out for 5 months. Are people just really impatient nowadays and expect a console to have 5 great crown jewels and sell 20 million units within half a year? Is the company going to go bankrupt within the year if the console doesnt somehow achieve the same sales the Wii did by the end of this year?
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-08-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    I read something a little while ago that said the Vita outsold the Wii U in Japan last month, but I'm sure there are other factors that might play into that.
    In Japan their sales figures go week to week where as here in the US ours goes month to month. In the week following the Vita price drop announcement in Japan the Vita outsold the Wii U and I believe it outsold it the week after that. It hasn't outsold it a full month yet but it's only a matter of time.

I also agree with the people that said the Wii U's marketing sucked. It's a stupid name and I never saw any ads/publicity for it outside of reading news coverage on the internet. I've seen more ads for the PS4(following the conference) than I have for the Wii U. Granted they have all been in the form of youtube ads playing before videos but thats more than I've seen for the Wii U.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

May I ask why everybody thinks it needs a price drop? It will be the cheapest "current" gen system out once the PS4 and the 720 are released. I know many think a price drop will happen, but all I think it needs are some top quality games to back the system up. I just don't see a price drop happening this year. I could see a good bundle though possibly come Christmas time.
    So once the PS4 and NextBox are released the PS360 are going to just disappear? The Wii U might be the cheapest next gen console, but when the console itself isn't truly next gen, the people who own a PS360 are more than likely going to get one of the successors while those that aren't die hard Nintendo fans could get a Wii U, or get a cheaper PS360. There are a lot of people waiting for the generation to end before getting the current consoles.

Microsoft had to come out early and drop support of the original Xbox because they couldn't manufacture anymore. The same isn't going to happen with the 360, and we know the PS3 is going to last for another five to ten years. PS4, NextBox, and Wii U games are going to be ported to the PS360 as long as its possible for the games to be ran on the system and as long as the systems are still making them money. They're not just going to quit supporting them because the next consoles are out. With the Wii U and PS360 being closer in power and the Wii U gimmick being more than likely used as a map, menu system, etc, games that aren't on the new HD consoles are more than likely going to be multiconsole on the PS360 and Wii U.

So there's a problem with the Wii U. It's not as cheap as the consoles that are almost as powerful, more powerful, whatever the case is, and it's not nearly as powerful as the new consoles.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-08-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    Oh and can someone tell me why everyone is making such a big deal about how many units its selling after the christmas rush? It did well for a console so far. It doesnt have a lot of great games, because its only been out for 5 months. Are people just really impatient nowadays and expect a console to have 5 great crown jewels and sell 20 million units within half a year? Is the company going to go bankrupt within the year if the console doesnt somehow achieve the same sales the Wii did by the end of this year?
    Well to tell you the truth, the whole thing reeks of an anti-Nintendo tirade perpetrated by our resident Sony trollboys looking for any tried excuse to beat down on the WiiU just for the sake of doing so, if not, anything else. In fact, one of them dumped improving Vita numbers from Japan in the other WiiU thread implying that the console is "doomed", leaving out the handheld already had a horrible first year itself. Also ironically, their precious PS3, now 2nd place above the Xbox 360 in console sales, would be considered doomed since it too didn't have a stellar first two or three years. Under the same circumstances as the WiiU, worse. The lesson: slow starts are the new norm thanks to super-expensive development cost/time. First year sales are horrible indicators of a console's success and anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or hypocritical liar. My two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Well to tell you the truth, the whole thing reeks of an anti-Nintendo tirade perpetrated by our resident Sony trollboys looking for any tried excuse to beat down on the WiiU just for the sake of doing so, if not, anything else. In fact, one of them dumped improving Vita numbers from Japan in the other WiiU thread implying that the console is "doomed", leaving out the handheld already had a horrible first year itself. Also ironically, their precious PS3, now 2nd place above the Xbox 360 in console sales, would be considered doomed since it too didn't have a stellar first two or three years. Under the same circumstances as the WiiU, worse. The lesson: slow starts are the new norm thanks to super-expensive development cost/time. First year sales are horrible indicators of a console's success and anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or hypocritical liar. My two cents.
    Thats what Im saying, the PS1 didnt do well till 2 years later when Final Fantasy 7 came out. Nintendo isnt in trouble. You should have seen their interactive area at the expo today. I played two 3DS games, and well the hting hurt my eyes so then I switched it off and made sure it was clicked and then I won a free WII U tshirt. I see it else where. 360 and PS3 fanboys use the "outdated/low grade" technology argument. Well, wait till the PS5 comes out and the graphics are the same as the PS4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Im not trolling, I've bought every single nintendo console ever made. BUT I think Nintendo missed the opportunity to say to the core gamer "sorry, we F$%?&@ up! We want you back!" when they revealed Project Cafe by keeping the wii brand. To many gamers, wii meant past-gen hardware, kiddy (and soccer mom) focused shovelware library, gimmicky controls, ridiculous online features and no third party quality titles (and please dont start mentioning every single good game by third parties, I know them all but you get the point that major releases on ps360 were not released on wii). So far, wii U is EXACTLY the same, and I dont see nothing that will change this. Did we get all the latest, cool games released on ps3/360 lately? Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Metal Gear, DMC, Dead Space 3... not a single one released on wii U. Even Ubisoft didnt believe in releasing an exclusive, completed ready to launch game (yes it was a dick move, but business wise I guess they realized it wasnt worth it) by delaying it for another 6 months and releasing it simultaneously on all consoles! So like it or not heres the news: I have the wii U and wish it can survive, but I know Nintendo has failed and the casual gamers wont save them this time. I would not be surprised if Sega cancelled Aliens, that delay was fishy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Im not trolling, I've bought every single nintendo console ever made. BUT I think Nintendo missed the opportunity to say to the core gamer "sorry, we F$%?&@ up! We want you back!" when they revealed Project Cafe by keeping the wii brand. To many gamers, wii meant past-gen hardware, kiddy (and soccer mom) focused shovelware library, gimmicky controls, ridiculous online features and no third party quality titles (and please dont start mentioning every single good game by third parties, I know them all but you get the point that major releases on ps360 were not released on wii). So far, wii U is EXACTLY the same, and I dont see nothing that will change this. Did we get all the latest, cool games released on ps3/360 lately? Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Metal Gear, DMC, Dead Space 3... not a single one released on wii U. Even Ubisoft didnt believe in releasing an exclusive, completed ready to launch game (yes it was a dick move, but business wise I guess they realized it wasnt worth it) by delaying it for another 6 months and releasing it simultaneously on all consoles! So like it or not heres the news: I have the wii U and wish it can survive, but I know Nintendo has failed and the casual gamers wont save them this time. I would not be surprised if Sega cancelled Aliens, that delay was fishy.
    Also forgot to say Nintendo is not doing their job to get the same games ps3-360 mentionned above. I would have bought one for sure, my wii U is collecting dust since early december.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Patience.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Well to tell you the truth, the whole thing reeks of an anti-Nintendo tirade perpetrated by our resident Sony trollboys looking for any tried excuse to beat down on the WiiU just for the sake of doing so, if not, anything else. In fact, one of them dumped improving Vita numbers from Japan in the other WiiU thread implying that the console is "doomed", leaving out the handheld already had a horrible first year itself.
    My exact quote. "When the Vita sells more, you know your sales are low." That's clearly a knock towards both the Vita and the Wii U, not just the Wii U. I'll reinterpret that for you though. "When the worst selling system on the market sells more, you know your sales are low." Replace Vita with worst selling system on the market or anything else similar in concept. Replace Vita with anything else and it doesn't quite make sense. See. I'm not just trashing just the Wii U.

Also ironically, their precious PS3, now 2nd place above the Xbox 360 in console sales, would be considered doomed since it too didn't have a stellar first two or three years. Under the same circumstances as the WiiU, worse. The lesson: slow starts are the new norm thanks to super-expensive development cost/time. First year sales are horrible indicators of a console's success and anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or hypocritical liar. My two cents.
    Who said anything about the Wii U being doomed. Poor sales does not equal doomed. Poor sales doesn't mean the console won't be successful. Poor sales is just what it sounds like. Poor sales. You know the original Wii had poor sales last month, right? Oh noes. The Wii is doomed!! See your logic?

Just because you're butthurt that your preferred console developers console is doing shit right now, don't try to spin a quote as bashing that Wii U alone. My preferred console right now might be the PS3, but it doesn't mean that I'm not eventually going to get a Wii U as one of my secondary consoles. You're an idiot if you think I want the Wii U to do poorly. I passed on the Wii but am eventually getting a Wii U for both Wii games and Wii U games. If Nintendo does well, that means that I get more games I may enjoy, hopefully exclusives since the Wii U won't be my multiconsole system of choice. Hell, WCP could tell you guys that I asked him what was the cheapest he saw the Wii U going for on Craigslist because I saw one cheap and was tempted to get it. I honestly want to spend $200 on a paperweight, that's the real reason I want the Wii U. Not because the games at all.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because you're butthurt that your preferred console developers console is doing shit right now, don't try to spin a quote as bashing that Wii U alone. My preferred console right now might be the PS3, but it doesn't mean that I'm not eventually going to get a Wii U as one of my secondary consoles. You're an idiot if you think I want the Wii U to do poorly. I passed on the Wii but am eventually getting a Wii U for both Wii games and Wii U games. If Nintendo does well, that means that I get more games I may enjoy, hopefully exclusives since the Wii U won't be my multiconsole system of choice. Hell, WCP could tell you guys that I asked him what was the cheapest he saw the Wii U going for on Craigslist because I saw one cheap and was tempted to get it. I honestly want to spend $200 on a paperweight, that's the real reason I want the Wii U. Not because the games at all.
    Who're you fooling? You're the guy that called Nintendo Direct's an act of desperation.

You're the guy who said the ZombieU ($500+) bundle for $389.99 was a crappy deal.

Finally, you keep insistently and insipidly bringing up (unprovoked) how bad Wii U sales are......not once!
    Not twice!
    But three times.

And you say I'm butthurt? Let me ask you something how many months do you think the Vita been out compared to Wii U? 14 to 3.

And how many games do you think are out right now on the Vita compared to WiiU? 53 to 26.

How many systems do you think has the Vita sold in the first 3 months compared to Wii U? 1,856,852(Vita) to 2,601,801(WiiU).
    How many in US? 458,843(Vita) to 1,015,801(WiiU).
    In Europe? 531,084(Vita) to 552,482(WiiU).
    In Japan? 611,735(Vita) to 806,691(WiiU).

How many games do you think has the Vita sold in the same first 3 months compared to Wii U? 2,958,630(Vita) to 5,404,208(WiiU).
    In US? 779,713(Vita) to 2,593,882(WiiU).
    In Europe? 826,597(Vita) to 1,205,170(WiiU).
    In Japan? 754,221(Vita) to 806,691(WiiU).

Oh and btw about that little boost the Vita got this week: 82,114(Vita) to 132,502(3DS).
    In Japan: 60,897(Vita) to 77,572(3DS).
    The price cut didn't help it beat the 3DS either.

A) I'm not the one butthurt here, you are.
    B) Like the 3DS, the WiiU will have a price cut and many of Nintendo heavy hitters this time next year and it's going to sell like gangbusters and everyone's going to forget the early poor sales like yesterday's garbage. That was the whole point of my original post.
    C) You are an anti-Nintendo fanboy. And....

You're just a hypocrite.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/