Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worst PS1 RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I always thought Guardian's Crusade was pretty bad.

I know some people seem to have really enjoyed the game but to me it seemed so simple... like a beginner RPG 101 for kids. There were so many good RPGs out at the time that after a few hours with Guardian's Crusade I gave it back to my friend and moved on to other RPGs that had much more to offer me.

It didn't do the game any favors that its art direction was fairly generic and while well composed, I didn't care much for the music either.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I know some people seem to have really enjoyed the game but to me it seemed so simple... like a beginner RPG 101 for kids. There were so many good RPGs out at the time that after a few hours with Guardian's Crusade I gave it back to my friend and moved on to other RPGs that had much more to offer me.

It didn't do the game any favors that its art direction was fairly generic and while well composed, I didn't care much for the music either.
    It's funny, all the reasons you didn't like Guardians Crusade are the same reasons that I found it charming. :P

I liked the simplicity of it, like playing a 3D version of an NES RPG.

As for Lunar, I don't see the point of arguing opinions. Press Start and I think it's a classic, FrankSerpico and Kupo think it's overrated garbage. Personally I think FF6 and FFT aren't all that great either, an opinion which many RPG fans would find blasphemous. But what does it matter? Not as if the quality of a game diminishes just because one less person admires it, or that a game improves by having one more fanboy in its corner.

Personally I think Lunar's good enough to stand on its own, it doesn't need me or anyone else championing its virtues.
    Last edited by Daria; 08-09-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

which sounds incredibly snobbish n' very insecure giving out a strange vibe like you guys only play games just to feel superior to others, then again those who live in ivory towers do see everyone as ants.

Wow. Do you always over-psychoanalyze when your clams are steamed over something this irrelevant?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    which sounds incredibly snobbish n' very insecure giving out a strange vibe like you guys only play games just to feel superior to others, then again those who live in ivory towers do see everyone as ants.

Wow. Do you always over-psychoanalyze when your clams are steamed over something this irrelevant?
    Press_Start feels strongly about people having a negative opinion of Nintendo and certain JRPGs. Your opinion had better not differ or it'll be a tongue lashing for you laddo!

EDIT: He's probably just upset that Baldur's Gate 2, the greatest RPG ever, nay, the greatest game ever, didn't come to the Wii. I wouldn't worry too much...
    Last edited by Daltone; 08-09-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eternal Eyes is REALLY bad. Just god-awfully bland.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Arc the Lad Collection was $79.99 at launch, kind of close, but yeah, still not $90.

Your characters move in battle!? INNOVATION!! Other than using Flee to back away from an enemy so you force them to move up to you, there's really no difference in the way this plays from a standard JRPG battle system. It's really not that innovative, but hey, who am I to say you can't further overrate the game for almost no reason at all.

Anyways. The Lunar games are far from the worst RPGs ever released as they're decent, but they're some of the more overrated RPGs in the genre. It's similar to Earthbound how it receives massive praise for being an extremely generic RPG and while the Lunar games are much better than Earthbound, they're not on the level the fanbase praises them.

From FrankSerpico's original Lunar post and then his most recent post, it doesn't sound like he's saying it's the worst game ever made. Sounds like he was replying to the earlier Lunar comments that it's a good series that's extremely overrated.

I remember when I first tried to suggest earthbound was overrated....barely left the forum with my life intact lol
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    It's funny, all the reasons you didn't like Guardians Crusade are the same reasons that I found it charming. :P

I liked the simplicity of it, like playing a 3D version of an NES RPG..
    Heh. I can see that though. Like I said, I know its a game that some people look fondly upon, but it just didnt appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by meggo View Post
    Eternal Eyes is REALLY bad. Just god-awfully bland.
    I really want to try Eternal Eyes. All I have ever heard were bad things about it, but its a Kenji Terada game. Surely there is something redeeming about it.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    I really want to try Eternal Eyes. All I have ever heard were bad things about it, but its a Kenji Terada game. Surely there is something redeeming about it.
    I don't know if there's anything redeeming about the game. I've never known anyone to have a good opinion about this game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    I hate to sound like a broken record but that was shallow, thoughtless, short-sighted, and flat....on top of that, I would like to add: narrow-minded, antagonizing, selfishly ignorant, downright hateful and void of any n' all matter of substance to back up whatsoever. It's somebody else's dam opinion in your regurgitated pseudo-intellectual venomous stew.
    If people didn't have differing opinions there would be less to talk about. There would be far less responses if everyone agreed on everything, because there would be no counter arguments. This is just as much true for sports, tv shows, books, movies, food, etc, as it is for video games.

The difference between my post calling Lunar and Earthbound overrated compared to your earlier post and this one, is I wasn't throwing insults at someone based on their opinion.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I don't know if there's anything redeeming about the game. I've never known anyone to have a good opinion about this game.
    The original MSRP of $10 was quite nice... and I kind of like the character art. But yeah... no Eternal Eyes is not a good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    The original MSRP of $10 was quite nice... and I kind of like the character art. But yeah... no Eternal Eyes is not a good game.
    Didn't know it was $10 MSRP. I got it and Rogue Trip for $5 each. Rogue Trip was amazing and I assumed they just sold poorly.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If people didn't have differing opinions there would be less to talk about. There would be far less responses if everyone agreed on everything, because there would be no counter arguments. This is just as much true for sports, tv shows, books, movies, food, etc, as it is for video games.

The difference between my post calling Lunar and Earthbound overrated compared to your earlier post and this one, is I wasn't throwing insults at someone based on their opinion.
    The difference is my opinions are back with cogent statements and facts and you want everyone to take whatever you say without question as fact. Case in point, three counter posts given between Daria and me in support of Lunar and your argument for otherwise is......Earthbound is overrated?, which A) has nothing to do with Lunar and B) it's your own dam opinion.......again! Like defending "Tomatoes are Evil!" by claiming "Tomatoes are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY Evil with Zucchinis!" So, C) you got nothing and my arguments still stands. And that's what this whole debate boils down to: the people screaming "BUCK FUTTER!" and the people providing cogent arguments, well-thought opinions, nuanced ideas, hard evidence, and screaming "BUCK FUTTER!".

Oh before i forget, congrats on the baby Daria!
    Last edited by Press_Start; 08-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Beyond the Beyond nuff said
    Yep!

The game pretty much slaps you in the face, with the best character being cursed; Everytime he swung his sword, he lost hit points. I completed the game and immediately traded it in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yep!

The game pretty much slaps you in the face, with the best character being cursed; Everytime he swung his sword, he lost hit points. I completed the game and immediately traded it in.
    I did the same,when i had the game and solid it rather quickly.It's definitely "one of camelot software weakest rpgs" that they made.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I did the same,when i had the game and solid it rather quickly.It's definitely "one of camelot software weakest rpgs" that they made.
    I'm pretty much the opposite but then again the first time I played it I used Gameshark so I was able to learn all the dungeons and puzzles thoroughly before playing through it normally, making it very easy for me to play through it again and again. Beyond the Beyond is in my top 10 favorite games probably. It actually kind of disappoints me that few people like the game as much as I do because that means there's no fan spinoffs with those characters or anybody making custom characters for fighting games based on them.

Also Samson is definitely not the best character in the game. He would have been ok at first uncursed, but when Finn levels up he and even Percy begin to equal or surpass Samson's strength. Also unlike Samson they both can actually learn and use a lot of magic spells. Their speed is also faster at the same level. All three are good characters to have in the front row though so their already strong attacks do even more damage.

Making the most out of characters really depends on where you place them in the party formation and your fighting tactics.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Like defending "Tomatoes are Evil!" by claiming "Tomatoes are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY Evil with Zucchinis!"

Just sayin', I actually totally agree with Press_Start on this issue, but I couldn't let that line pass without mentioning this...

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Xenogears, too tired to say why tho
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    Xenogears, too tired to say why tho
    Xenogears has that effect on people.

Its odd, when I first played it I thought it was amazing. But each subsequent attempt to play it that I make, my reaction always starts off with being intrigued/remembering what I liked, but then like fifty hours in, i'm just like... usually I wind up losing interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Hmm. Legend of Legaia, out of PS1 RPGs I've played it has to be Legend of Legaia. My relationship with it started on the wrong foot; I found a copy of Star Ocean The Second Story for cheap at the mall, I marshaled my resources and returned to find it gone but this in its place. I tried it out and couldn't get more than an hour or two in before giving up and trading it in. A few years down the road and I got another copy and a guide to give it a fair chance. Three hours of playing later, I had to put it down and toss it in the Failed Campaign stack. The graphics were awful (but par for the console and genre at the time), the music could be compared to cheese-flavored oatmeal; bland, disgusting, and of dubious nutritional value. The story could have been good, but just plain refused to take off and go, while the characters were more like caricatures. The combat was a tragically flawed mess, combining the worst parts of turn-based RPGs and fighting mechanics without little building upon either.

If it had just one or two of these problems, I would have put up with it, but for me this rates as a gaming Dyson (absolutely no loss of suction).
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.