Thread: Rumor or Nonsense: Nintendo's next generation console and handheld: Fusion Terminal and Fusion DS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    If Nintendo puts their IPs on mobile it effective ends their hardware business. They won't do that.

I agree.

Nintendo is in an incredibly good & strong position right now, compared to Sega's position a year after the Dreamcast had launched in the west.
    Nintendo made tons of money from the DS / Wii era and although the Wii U is a failure, Nintendo is still has the 3DS which after a slow start, has become very successful, where PlayStation Vita has not.

The DS sold like 155 million worldwide and that's with a competitor (Sony PSP) that sold roughly 80 million worldwide as of last year.
    Sony's PSP was the only non-Nintendo dedicated handheld game system that was successful, selling tens of millions of units, and yet, Nintendo still managed to completely outsell PSP with the DS.

This time, Sony's Playstation Vita is going nowhere fast, Nintendo will have the dedicated handheld market to themselves. Even with the rise of games on mobile devices.
    It would be terrible if Nintendo put their IP on mobiles when the 3DS is still in its prime and making money for Nintendo, their main source of income at present.

Being "homeless", meaning not having your own hardware platform, could very well end up being an awful thing for Nintendo, since they would not control the platform (phones & tablets).

As for Wii U, Nintendo will have to make it hang on, through all of 2015. Nintendo's next home console won't be out until the end of 2016 at the very soonest.
    It's not as if Nintendo has a new console waiting in the wings to launch this year, or 2015.

There is still Hyrule Warriors (a collaboration between Nintendo & Tecmo, a game based on Tecmo / Koei's Dynasty Warriors series) coming out sometime this year in 2014.
    Then the next main installment of Legend of Zelda for Wii U most likely in 2015. Iwata said in the last Nintendo Direct that Hyrule Warrors is *not* the next main Zelda game for Wii U.

Now don't quote me on this, but I believe I read somewhere that EAD Tokyo is working on the true successor to Mario Galaxy, which was not the recently released Super Mario 3D World.

Whatever that Mario game might be (and I *hope* it's what I would want & have imagined for a potential "Super Mario Universe" ) that game, if it hasn't already, should be re-targeted for the next console
    (in late 2016 or 2017) and it must be a day one launch game with the next home console.

Nintendo did not have a 3D Mario game for the launch of GameCube in fall 2001, Sunshine was almost a year later in2002. Or for Wii in 2006, Galaxy was August or Sept 2007.
    Or Wii U in 2012, 3D World was late 2013, just a few months ago.

Nintendo hasn't had a main 3D Mario game for a new console launch since 1996 with Super Mario 64 on Nintendo 64.
    The main Mario game prior to that, for a new console launch, was Super Mario World on the Super Famicom in December 1990 and SNES in 1991.

So that has to change, along with other things.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 01-23-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seriously read this piece it covers many good reasons why the articles online are wrong in giving advice to Nintendo and it makes sense.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2014/01/nintendo-mobile/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Seriously read this piece it covers many good reasons why the articles online are wrong in giving advice to Nintendo and it makes sense.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2014/01/nintendo-mobile/
    Yeah I saw that the other day, great read.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    Nintendo hasn't had a main 3D Mario game for a new console launch since 1996 with Super Mario 64 on Nintendo 64.
    The main Mario game prior to that, for a new console launch, was Super Mario World on the Super Famicom in December 1990 and SNES in 1991.

So that has to change, along with other things.
    IMO anyone who is complaining about New Super Mario Bros. U not being a sufficient launch Mario game is not a true Mario fan. Real Mario fans want all the Mario they can get. Both 2D & 3D. I like 2D better than 3D.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    IMO anyone who is complaining about New Super Mario Bros. U not being a sufficient launch Mario game is not a true Mario fan. Real Mario fans want all the Mario they can get. Both 2D & 3D. I like 2D better than 3D.

Well, how bout this.... My favorite game of all time, ranked No.1 overall, is Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo. I don't take that ranking lightly either. I'm a huge 2D Mario fan.

Here's the problem. The new games that started with the DS and Wii, and then later on Wii U and 3DS use polygons instead of sprites. For whatever reason, I just don't get that same feeling as I do when I'm playing Super Mario World or SMB3. The DS game, and the Wii game are both very clever, and well made games, but ultimately, they just don't feel the same to me, and I think the polygon thing is the reason why. If Nintendo made a "real" 2D Mario game, I would be in seventh heaven. I'd love them to use the exact same engine as Super Mario World, just add a couple of extra special effects to it, and great background music and sound effects and I would be in heaven...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worst thing that could have happen to Nintendo at this point is if the WiiU had edged out around 6 million units with minimally satisfying success that they felt no reason to change their current strategy whatsoever and thus, blissfully continue to allow themselves the same problems throughout 2014. Now, that they missed even their initial 5.5 mill mark, they're getting the quintessential "hot-coffee-thrown-in-their-face" wake up call they need to start paying attention and fix their serious problems with the WiiU before their 2 biggest titles this year hit the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The worst thing that could have happen to Nintendo at this point is if the WiiU had edged out around 6 million units with minimally satisfying success that they felt no reason to change their current strategy whatsoever and thus, blissfully continue to allow themselves the same problems throughout 2014. Now, that they missed even their initial 5.5 mill mark, they're getting the quintessential "hot-coffee-thrown-in-their-face" wake up call they need to start paying attention and fix their serious problems with the WiiU before their 2 biggest titles this year hit the market.
    It's much too late for that though. The WiiU had a very impressive release schedule this past year. Nintendo's whole strategy since launch has been to keep promoting the fact that the big titles that came out in the latter part of 2013 were coming. Those titles were released and it didn't do much for console sales. In 2014, Nintendo's target audience isn't going to get super excited over Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong, Super Smash and Mario Kart are going to be great games, but they have been on several previous Nintendo platforms including the Wii and they aren't going to convince people on the fence to buy a whole new console. As others have pointed out, Nintendo is just going to keep muddling through for the next few years until they release a unified platform and ultimately, WiiU will just be remembered as Nintendo trying to capitalize on the massive success of the Wii but in the process alienating third parties, failing at marketing and ultimately loosing more of the audience it has built over the past three decades.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's much too late for that though. The WiiU had a very impressive release schedule this past year. Nintendo's whole strategy since launch has been to keep promoting the fact that the big titles that came out in the latter part of 2013 were coming. Those titles were released and it didn't do much for console sales. In 2014, Nintendo's target audience isn't going to get super excited over Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong, Super Smash and Mario Kart are going to be great games, but they have been on several previous Nintendo platforms including the Wii and they aren't going to convince people on the fence to buy a whole new console. As others have pointed out, Nintendo is just going to keep muddling through for the next few years until they release a unified platform and ultimately, WiiU will just be remembered as Nintendo trying to capitalize on the massive success of the Wii but in the process alienating third parties, failing at marketing and ultimately loosing more of the audience it has built over the past three decades.
    Haha, uh....no. Remind me, how long did it take PS3 to start selling like hotcakes? Oh right....3 years! Three bloody years! And during that time it had to contend with the Wii's dominance, 360's year-long head start, a $600 price point, a lack of third-party exclusives, $200-$300 loss per console and it's sitting cozy @ 80 million units now. So yeah, if it ain't too late for the PS3, which took Sony nearly 900+ days to fix, then it absolutely sure as hell ain't too late for the WiiU with 600+ days left and counting.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The market is different than it was in 2006, or even 2009.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Haha, uh....no. Remind me, how long did it take PS3 to start selling like hotcakes? Oh right....3 years! Three bloody years! And during that time it had to contend with the Wii's dominance, 360's year-long head start, a $600 price point, a lack of third-party exclusives, $200-$300 loss per console and it's sitting cozy @ 80 million units now. So yeah, if it ain't too late for the PS3, which took Sony nearly 900+ days to fix, then it absolutely sure as hell ain't too late for the WiiU with 600+ days left and counting.
    So, lay out the possible scenario because I sure can't see it. The WiiU is essentially a last generation piece of hardware with almost no third party support with no real hope of third party support in the near or distant future. It's expensive to produce and can't sustain a price cut without further damaging Nintendo's bottom line. Nintendo lacks the capacity to get additional studios up and running on software and would be years away from releasing anything if they started acquiring new studios today. So yeah, it is too late for the WiiU and as others have pointed out, this isn't 2006 and the audience Nintendo built with the Wii has moved on to mobile devices while both the PS4 and Xbox One continue to sell at a record pace with no compelling software available for either one right now.