Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    I have a Sony 60" , a Jvc 56" and a Mitsubishi 1080p projector on a 175" screen

175" screen? Wow, that's freaking ridiculously huge. I have a 131", and I already think that maybe I have it a bit too big. Isn't there a point of diminishing returns in relation to screen size? How far back do you sit from that sucker? For about 2 years, I had a 113" screen, and that worked out very well for me, but when I got my new projector, I mounted it in the same exact spot as the other one, but the screen size was much larger, 131 inches. I was going to remount it a bit closer, but I just got lazy, but there are times when I think I'm a bit past the point of diminishing returns in regards to screen size. I think around 120 inches or so would probably be a bit better. I'm just too lazy right now to mess with it, but I couldn't even imagine 175 inches. When I watch regular TV type stuff (basically anything non-high def), it looks pretty damn craptacular blown up to 131 inches, but having that blown up to 175 inches would be god awful, I would imagine. I'm sure very high quality high def sources look good on it, but man, you must have a really huge room to have a screen that huge. I'm sitting like 19 feet from my screen, so to have a 175 inch screen, I would have to sit way farther than that. Hmm. Interesting.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    175" screen? Wow, that's freaking ridiculously huge. I have a 131", and I already think that maybe I have it a bit too big. Isn't there a point of diminishing returns in relation to screen size? How far back do you sit from that sucker? For about 2 years, I had a 113" screen, and that worked out very well for me, but when I got my new projector, I mounted it in the same exact spot as the other one, but the screen size was much larger, 131 inches. I was going to remount it a bit closer, but I just got lazy, but there are times when I think I'm a bit past the point of diminishing returns in regards to screen size. I think around 120 inches or so would probably be a bit better. I'm just too lazy right now to mess with it, but I couldn't even imagine 175 inches. When I watch regular TV type stuff (basically anything non-high def), it looks pretty damn craptacular blown up to 131 inches, but having that blown up to 175 inches would be god awful, I would imagine. I'm sure very high quality high def sources look good on it, but man, you must have a really huge room to have a screen that huge. I'm sitting like 19 feet from my screen, so to have a 175 inch screen, I would have to sit way farther than that. Hmm. Interesting.
    I have a 16'x24' room. The seating is stadium with two couches on the back wall, two couches in front of them, a row of 6 theater chairs and another row of 6 theater chairs.

I usually sit in the back, but my kids like to sit in the front. Guests usually pick the second row of couches.

I play mostly HD stuff with the Ps3 and Xbox Hd-dvd and Pc and Local Hd Ota. But I have DishNetwork on it also and it really doesn't look that bad. The Mitsubishi HC5000 does an incredible job upscaling Sd to 1080p. It has one of the best scalers on the market built in.

And needless to say NO-ONE has ever said the screen needs to be smaller.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just thought about this. What abou the people who imported there PS3. Will the update work with there models?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    I just thought about this. What abou the people who imported there PS3. Will the update work with there models?
    The update rolled out world-wide, not just in the US. UK and JPN PS3s both got their own version of the update.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does this mean the Update will be included in newer releases of PS3 consoles????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    Does this mean the Update will be included in newer releases of PS3 consoles????
    Most likely, though the delay between when the update came out and when you'll see it on a console fresh out of the box might be a good while (especially with the surplus of v1.50s out there).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Sounds like much ado about nothing to me. Oooh, now I can upscale Jumping Flash! to 1080p. Whoopie.
    It is a pretty big deal for watching regular DVD movies though. Well, for anybody that doesn't already have an upscalling dvd player. I didn't have one prior to this firmware upgrade, and after doing the upgrade, I put in Cars by Pixar, and it almost looks HD. At least it almost looked HD until I rented Pirates of the Carribbean on Blu Ray, and saw the actual preview of Cars on Blu Ray (I normally NEVER purchase movies but this will be very, very tempting)

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    I have a 16'x24' room. The seating is stadium with two couches on the back wall, two couches in front of them, a row of 6 theater chairs and another row of 6 theater chairs.

I usually sit in the back, but my kids like to sit in the front. Guests usually pick the second row of couches.
    Hey, could you please take some pics of the room, and the seating arangement? My room is a similar size, and I would be interested in seeing how you did all the seating. Sounds awesome!
    Last edited by Anthony1; 05-28-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
    (I normally NEVER purchase movies but this will be very, very tempting.
    I've pretty much quit buying movies since signing up for NetFlix, but I'll still be buying the Pixar movies on BD. Brad Bird and John Lasseter are just so damned awesome

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    I've pretty much quit buying movies since signing up for NetFlix, but I'll still be buying the Pixar movies on BD. Brad Bird and John Lasseter are just so damned awesome

Yeah, I'm not the type to buy movies either, but I do have two young boys, and they have certain movies that they can watch over and over and over, and I don't mind buying the ones that they love that I can also enjoy. I definitely enjoy all the Pixar movies. I'm not sure they've made a total dud yet. To get those movies in High Def, with the lossless sound, yep, I'm gonna buy em. Eventually, I'll buy them. I don't see myself running out and paying $34.99 plus tax or whatever it is they are going to cost, but once I can get them for under $20 out the door, I will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here's an interesting article about superwhite and RGB Full. Along with some kind of test for your TV.

At this point in technology though it's all greek to me. I guess i'm getting old, lol. I just can't keep up with all this shit. Though it sounds cool.

http://www.gameswank.com/content/view/126/1/
    Last edited by BHvrd; 05-27-2007 at 01:55 PM.