Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OVGE -<2008>- Retro Gaming Returns! (08/09/2008)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Show times have changed back to 9 to 5. I was getting some flak on the 7pm thing with some of the vendors/exhibitors who travel from out of state. I can see their point on this and so, show will close down once again at 5pm. In addition, I have moved the show back to the original two rooms we have always occupied in the past. It simply wasn't realistically gonna be possible to fill the extra 2000sf and so, I see no point in paying for it.

We finally have vendors and exhibitors confirmed and they have been added to the site. If you sent me info to be in the show and I don't have you listed on the exhibitor page, then PLEASE get back to me ASAP! The reason would simply be because you're request were lost in my HDD crash 3 weeks ago.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI: If you are a AAA member, be sure to mention it (when making reservations by phone) or click on the appropriate box (when making a web reservation). You save $5 per night. W00t!

Perhaps that's not much but every penny helps (use that savings to pay for your OVGE admission).

(Pronounced: OO-bik-OO-ber-ALL-ess)
    Reality is false and decaying. Ubik restores form and substance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OVGE Draws Near!

Yes! We are now under 2 weeks away from OVGE's grand retro return! I would like to invite everyone to please look at the web site as there have been many updates. To summize, we are looking at the best vendor lineup and exhibitor variety we have ever been graced with at this year's event!

http://www.ovge.com

All of us at OVGE and the Ivory Tower Collections are very excited to be able to bring this event to you and invite you all once again to come and join in for a day of video gaming history, sales, exhibition, and most importantly... Family fun!

Tournaments have also been announced but are always subject to change. I'll keep you posted as more changes come in!

Thank you again and we all look forward to seeing you all there on August 9th!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm certainly looking forward to it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Just a few days away now! There's only one thing that's bugging me... usually, days before a long drive like this, Retrogaming Radio releases a new show. It never seems to fail, when I'm going to be in the car for a long time, there's a piping-hot new episode to keep me entertained. But there hasn't been a new show since May. His shows haven't been quite as entertaining as they used to be, but still I'd like to have it to listen to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Have you listened to all six episodes of You Don't Know Flack? There's a link from my website on the right hand side. It's not in the same league as Retrogaming Radio, but there it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

I think I'm going to have to listen to retrogaming themes on my drive up to Tulsa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Have you listened to all six episodes of You Don't Know Flack? There's a link from my website on the right hand side. It's not in the same league as Retrogaming Radio, but there it is.
    Aaaaah, I shouldn't make a joke. I really want to, though. I just don't want you to believe I'm serious. Oh, the dilemma. Oh hell, here it goes.

"I thought of listening to your podcast, but I didn't want to fall asleep at the wheel! Boom! Thank you, you've been a wonderful audience. Make sure you tip your waitress!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For any that might be interested and need a good laugh, I did a live show and tell piece about the OVGE and classic gaming for the local CBS Affiliate here in Tulsa this morning.

Link is found as the top listing on the OVGE website.

http://www.ovge.com

See you all there on Saturday!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Life of Brian's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will be finishing my next portable Super Nintendo tonight and will be bringing it with me to the show tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The bad news is that I had to pull out of this year's show due to a combination of factors, not the least of which is nobody to babysit my 10-month-old son for the day.

The good news is that the Phosphor Dot Fossils DVD will still be available at the show! A limited quantity of PDF DVDs will be available at Flack's table (and my huge thanks to him for hawking my wares alongside his new book, which is also highly recommended by the way), and he'll have the demo DVD there so you can see what you're getting into.

Sorry I'm going to miss the show this year, but that goes with daddy duty I suppose. Everyone have a blast tomorrow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Hoping to see a bunch of people there. I'll be wearing my DP nametag (still have it from the last show) so I should be pretty easy to spot.

edit: Sorry to hear that you're not coming, Earl. Takes the number of people I'll recognize down by something like 15%.
    Last edited by namzep; 08-08-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm going to be working on 29 hours with no sleep today (What wouldn't I do for vintage gaming?), so i'll be the one looking like a Zombie.

I'll probably be wearing either my B&W Sonic the Hedgehog shirt or my Iron Maiden shirt. But i'll certainly be stopping by and checking out Flack's Commodore book and Phospher's DVD.

This is gonna be great! I look forward to seeing some of you there.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well I'm heading out! See some of ya there!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm sitting in a Mazzio's Pizza on the drive back from Tulsa. All in all, a good show. I picked up a heap of games, books, and a shirt. I hung out with 98PaceCar and Ubik, talked to Flack, Icebreaker, and Crossbow, played a lot of Lemmings, and had a hell of a good time. Too bad PDF couldn't make it, but it was understandable. Now comes the hard part, the drive home.
    Last edited by Steve W; 08-10-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It was great to have OVGE back again! It got some really nice finds.

I bought a few Lynx, PS1, and N64 games on the cheap. After years of wanting one I finally picked up a Panasonic FZ-10 3DO and 10 games.

I also saw Flack and talked with him for a bit and it was at his booth that I aquired the HOLY GRAIL of my findings... A Mouse Master. A FREAKIN' MOUSE MASTER!!!!!!!!

It may not be much to most people and it's such a simple little device, but it certainly makes life easier when dealing with my Atari STe.

I hope everyone else had a good time and a BIG THANKS to Crossbow and everyone else that made OVGE happen again!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Life of Brian's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a lot of fun and it was great getting to finally meet some of you. I wasn't able to finish my new portable SNES on time for the show, but I took the one I finished last October to show around. Everyone had this reaction:

Here are some pictures:

Me and my younger brother Sean.

The guys from Game Crazy were apparently pretty excited :P

Free arcade machines are the best kind:

Testing out some games, trying to decide what to buy:

Getting some two player action going on:

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our cable system carries one of the Tulsa TV stations, so I saw the very brief blurb they had on the 10 o'clock news. There weren't any interviews with anyone, but what was funny was that every third or fourth piece of video they showed in this montage of different video was a shot of those Pac-Man roller skates! Lots of vintage machines in good working order, and for whatever reason, whoever shot/edited the video just fixated on Pac-Man roller skates. Yeesh. If this had been a Star Trek convention, that cameraman would've ignored all else until he found the one guy in the building made up like a Klingon, wouldn't he?

I'm really bummed that I missed the show this year, especially since it's looking like it was probably my last chance to "hang out with the grown-ups" for the forseeable future.

Huge, huge thanks to Flack for selling my DVD at the show - I'm glad some part of me was there. (Anyone who didn't get it can probably remedy that situation by clicking the ginormous red button in my sig.) Hopefully whenever OVGE returns I can darken its halls in person next time.

P.S. Pac-Man roller skates!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Congratulations goes to Ubik, who won the door prize, which was a boxed Tomy Tron handheld/desktop arcade game. I was so jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks to everybody who came out and stopped by to buy a book or just say hey. I just posted a huge review of the show in my blog, with links to all the pictures I took as well.