Thread: Good NES RPGS???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Good NES RPGS???

I don't know how deep the selection of RPGs are on the NES, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I have Final Fantasy, and Solstice (don't know what to qualify that game as), and have played the Dragon Warrior I-IV series. Any others? Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Destiny of an Emperor

Crystalis- if you are into action rpgs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bards tale is good if your into the old school computer style rpg's
    ultima quest of the avatar is also a great remake of the DOS classic
    destiny of an emporer is a great "light" stratagy rpg
    faxanadu is a great hybrid action/sidescroller rpg
    Guardian legend is an amazing adv/rpg/shmup
    wizardry proving ground of the mad overloard is an awesome port of the pc classic

thats about all i can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite NES RPG that I've played thus far is Radia Senki. Way ahead of its time and a ton of fun to play. Fan translation isn't the best around, but it makes the game totally playable and it isn't like it turns the game into a further incomprehensible mess or anything (like a lot of those english translation patches for MSX RPGs).

Not a really long game, either. Just addictive and fun.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

ultima exodus is easily the best rpg on the system, very open ended lots to do and fun to explore without being tied to a charecter based storyline, dragon warrior 3 would be a very close second with a very loose story you don' treally need to follow once you get the ship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    I don't know how deep the selection of RPGs are on the NES, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I have Final Fantasy, and Solstice (don't know what to qualify that game as), and have played the Dragon Warrior I-IV series. Any others? Thanks!
    Sostice is freaking awesome! One of the greatest NES games I have ever played. Although I never considered it an RPG.

Other than the obvious titles already mentioned, I would HIGHLY recomend Legacy of the Wizard. It's not a full fledged RPG but it has many RPG elements and it's a Falcom game!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Sostice is freaking awesome! One of the greatest NES games I have ever played. Although I never considered it an RPG.

Other than the obvious titles already mentioned, I would HIGHLY recomend Legacy of the Wizard. It's not a full fledged RPG but it has many RPG elements and it's a Falcom game!
    Solstice is pretty fun. Did you ever beat it. I always get stuck at this one part... can't remember what it was.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mother (Earthbound Zero) is excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    Solstice is pretty fun. Did you ever beat it. I always get stuck at this one part... can't remember what it was.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!
    I played Solstice so much when I was younger I honestly memorized where all the detonatores were, all the hidden areas, and all the pieces of the staff except 1 piece!!! I can navigate the game like Rand Mcnally.

The last time I played it I found the one piece that I could never find. It was in the Garden area somewhere. But then I forgot where one of the other pieces was. lol... go figure...

I refuse to write notes of where I find stuff or look at an FAQ. Solstice is a game I am determined to beat by myself and only with my memory to help me out. So far it's been like 15 years and counting... BUT ONE DAY I WILL FINISH IT!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kickmaster and Little Ninja Brothers are two unique RPGs for they combine really well with other genres.

Kickmaster is a great action/fighting/RPG game as you learn more moves as your level increases. Its one of the few games that demonstrated the fighting capabilities of the NES controller. I got a real kick out of it.

Little Ninja Brothers is a traditional RPG with two noticeable differences. 1. All battles are action-oriented like in River City Ransom. 2. It allows the option for a 2nd player to play in. If you have a friend or relative whose into games as you are, give this game a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two excellent action RPGs: the aforementioned Crystalis, and Willow (one of the best Capcom games on the system, imo).

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite NES RPG is Might & Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum. A port of the PC game that manages to actually be better than the PC original.

Just two things of note: [1] It's a TOUGH bugger and [2] it'll take you months to beat assuming no or limited outside aid.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

My favorite NES RPGs include:

1. Dragon Warrior IV: I'm not going to burden my list with DW games as you've already played them, but this title still remains as one of the best in the series. Not just a great NES RPG, a timeless RPG in general. Can't wait for the remake next month.

2. Magic of Scherherazade: I'm a sucker for time traveling themes and Arabian Nights. This game has both. A weird cross between a zelda clone with traditional random battles.

3. Crystalis: An action RPG with a neat fantasy/sci-fi setting. Sort of like Phantasy Star in that regard. Just solid game, fun to play, looked good, plot had a lot different things going on so unlike other games for the system never felt monotonous. Very cliched to play now, but this is one of those classics that set the rules for the genre.

4. Star Tropics: Love this game.

5. Willow: I think this is the best looking game on the NES, could pass for an SNES title. It's not the movie, but rather a retelling of the plot. All the characters from the movie actually looked really good and they translated many scenes into workable game mechanics that made sense. Next to Blade Runner it's my favorite Movie to videogame adaptation.

6. Destiny of an Emperor: It's like Suikoden on the NES. The number of characters you recruit is retarded, especially considering only a set few have custom portraits. Everyone else recycles the same generic pictures. It's very linear with a ton of fetching and toting that plagued many earlier RPGs. But the difficulty level provides a decent challenge and the militaristic plot is a nice twist for the system. I also think it's awesome you don't have HP, every character is a general and your HP is your troop count. Very clever.

7. Legend of the Ghost Lion: A really basic Dragon Warrior clone, but I love the monster illustrations and it's one of the very few early RPGs to feature a female protagonist.

8. Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom: An RPG adventure hybrid, think Quest for Glory. It's basically a text adventure with first person dungeons and a "rock,paper,scissors" battle system. The veggie puns are terrible, but it's a very silly game with a lot of charm.

I have to say I also love Solstice, and am looking forward to giving it's sequel Equinox a try.

I didn't add any Japanese games to the list, but I also love Chronicles of Radia War (previously mentioned as Radia Senki) game has a battle system very similar to that of Star Ocean. Sweet Home, one of the first survival horror games ever created, and Just Breed which plays remarkably enough like Shining Force. Three great RPGs that transcended the platform and would have fit right in on a 16-bit system, if not in graphics than in depth of play and storylines.
    Last edited by Daria; 08-13-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

theres a lot of stuff but its all really the same. My personal favorites would be uninvited and Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom if you even consider those rpgs. Other than that everything important seemed to be listed, princess tomato was even listed. You might want to emulate them before you buy them if your not an nes collector.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If you consider them rpgs then add Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and The Uninvited to the list.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    If you consider them rpgs then add Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and The Uninvited to the list.
    I added Princess Tomato solely because it has dungeons and a battle system, even then I added the caveat that it was a hybrid.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    My favorite NES RPG that I've played thus far is Radia Senki. Way ahead of its time and a ton of fun to play. Fan translation isn't the best around, but it makes the game totally playable and it isn't like it turns the game into a further incomprehensible mess or anything (like a lot of those english translation patches for MSX RPGs).

Not a really long game, either. Just addictive and fun.
    I'm gonna have to try this now.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)