Thread: Does anybody do sega genesis mods here..s-video..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crrimson View Post
    It seems cool, but I like soldering , and I'm pretty cheap. It is nice that you don't have to cut any holes in the old systems, thats why I didn't do the mod to my Genesis 1, because I love that thing and I've had it since 1989 when I was 6 or 7.
    yeah well. I just like to remind people that there are other ways to get s-video out of a genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    yeah well. I just like to remind people that there are other ways to get s-video out of a genesis
    It is good to have options. Maybe post an instructables or something on it, to show what equipment you used and how to hook it all up.
    Last edited by crrimson; 05-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*accidentally double posted
    Last edited by crrimson; 05-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

although S-video is a nice upgrade, I chose like many the "Atlona" YUV to RGB box on ebay. Component video on all the old systems is top notch. If you got component inputs on your set, this is the best way to go.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's not currently on ebay. But you can get it from here

http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

product a-22. The problem is this one's a bit stripped down so you have to know a little about wiring. But it's pretty straight forward. I wired it into a computer hdd power supply molex to get power. And just the rest is rgb in and s-video out. The composite video on it looks terrible. But the s-video is clear and nice. The only problem I had with the s-video was the chroma output was too high. Since there's only rgb adjustment pots on it I just added some resistors to the chroma wire of the s-video cable plugged into it and the picture became perfect.

As for compatibility it works on all my arcade pcbs, megadrive, and super famicom. Super famicom it needed a 100uf 10v capacitor on the sync line to get a working sync signal since it has extra voltage going through the lines on the ntsc models. Ironically the first system I ever hooked this board up to was a US genesis model 2. I just spliced up a scart cable and wired it straight into the encoder and it worked great.

component video is better looking but s-video's good enough for me and my tv doesn't have component jacks. I have a friend with a new astro city arcade cab running a brand new moniter he bought. Myself and other friends have played games on his cab and then played stuff on my setup and they all agree my setup's pretty darn close in picture quality (just very minor colour bleeding)
    Last edited by Drakon; 05-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats not too expensive it all, especially being that you can use it for multiple systems. Nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

by chance - what is the voltage requirement for this board? The website says 8-5V which doesn't make sense. I am really hoping it could take 5V but I don't think it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    it's not currently on ebay. But you can get it from here

http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

product a-22. The problem is this one's a bit stripped down so you have to know a little about wiring. But it's pretty straight forward. I wired it into a computer hdd power supply molex to get power. And just the rest is rgb in and s-video out. The composite video on it looks terrible. But the s-video is clear and nice. The only problem I had with the s-video was the chroma output was too high. Since there's only rgb adjustment pots on it I just added some resistors to the chroma wire of the s-video cable plugged into it and the picture became perfect.

As for compatibility it works on all my arcade pcbs, megadrive, and super famicom. Super famicom it needed a 100uf 10v capacitor on the sync line to get a working sync signal since it has extra voltage going through the lines on the ntsc models. Ironically the first system I ever hooked this board up to was a US genesis model 2. I just spliced up a scart cable and wired it straight into the encoder and it worked great.

component video is better looking but s-video's good enough for me and my tv doesn't have component jacks. I have a friend with a new astro city arcade cab running a brand new moniter he bought. Myself and other friends have played games on his cab and then played stuff on my setup and they all agree my setup's pretty darn close in picture quality (just very minor colour bleeding)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yaton stuff is arcade stuff, so it's rated for 5V but will not blow even if you supply it with up to 8v.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duo_r View Post
    by chance - what is the voltage requirement for this board? The website says 8-5V which doesn't make sense. I am really hoping it could take 5V but I don't think it can.
    When it came in the booklet that came with it said 12v. So I just wired it into the 12v wire of a computer psu hdd power molex.