Thread: Will Wii games still be produced after the Wii U is released?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Edit - I'm not sure why I thought Bojay was suggesting that Wii U BC will make it even less likely that the Wii will be supported since I don't see that in his replies just now after rereading them. So ignore that bit of my argument.

The GameCube was all but abandoned by consumers well before release of its replacement and had less than quarter of the amount of consoles out there that the Wii has. Beyond Twilight Princess after the Wii was released, there had been very little activity on the console for a long time and there was little activity shortly after Twilight Princess was released. There's little that Wii GCN support could've done to actually bring back any sort of life to that platform.

The Wii has added something upwards of 10 million consoles in the past 6 months or so. My impression of the Wii is that it's still selling halfway decently for a 5 year old underpowered console and many Wii owners are still regularly using it (Although new releases of any major interest to people like us has dwindled to a trickle and I'm sure will be drying up completely soon). Wii U backwards compatibility is just going to encourage that to last for longer than it would've otherwise.

I suspect the Wii is going to remain the system of choice for budget releases, releases aimed at young children, minigame collections, casual games, etc (And I would look for Nintendo's apparently successful Selects line of rereleases to continue). Wii U backwards compatibility is just going to help encourage that material to continue to be released on the Wii.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:51 AM.