Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    My initial comments were that the videogame division wasn't posting those (being the $6.5 billion) losses. If you look back at the launch of the PS3, Sony was posting losses in excess of $200 million, which was directly connected to the costs of that hardware. The same cannot be said of 2012, where the loss leader for Sony is their Televisions and small electronics that have been on the decline since early 2000s. Even if Sony videogame division was posting profits that were equal to the @ $800 million they were generating per-year with the PS2, they'd still be $5.7 billiion in the hole this year.

So when I said this: "It's not Sony's videogame division that is posting those losses though."

Your comments of me being 100% wrong was total f'en bullshit.

It's not Sony's videogame division that is killing them. In the past they were able to hide their losses behind the success of the Playstation brand; it was their most profitable product. Sony has been bleeding huge amounts of money in the television area, where their over-priced units are collecting dust, because of competition from Samsung, LG and Vizio. Their computer sales have been nose-diving, along with Dell, because of the popularity of smart pads and cheap laptops. Their Walkman is almost a forgotten product, with Apple owning that market as well.

I have 3 Sony CRTs in my home. When it came time to buy an LCD in 2009, I went with Samsung, because they were selling a 52" 120hz television for less than what I would have paid for Sony's 46".

That was for the ending quarter (the slowest part of the year) of Fiscal year 2012; It's in the books. The quarter also saw Sony reducing prices on the Move and games dedicated to it, PSP softwere, as well as clearing out the PS3 3D television.

We are now starting the fiscal year 2013, that will include the upcoming holiday season.
    I have literally in my time on this board never known anyone to make so many repeated false statements of fact and refuse to acknowledge that they are just plain wrong. Sony is on an April 1 to March 31st fiscal year and the $45 million loss was in Q1 of 2012.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/sony-q1-2012/
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/index.html

They will release their Q2 2012 results in a week or two as they always do. They obviously use a delayed reporting schedule which is common for Japanese companies. They won't enter FY2013 until April 1, 2013.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I have literally in my time on this board never known anyone to make so many repeated false statements of fact and refuse to acknowledge that they are just plain wrong. Sony is on an April 1 to March 31st fiscal year and the $45 million loss was in Q1 of 2012.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/sony-q1-2012/
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/index.html

They will release their Q2 2012 results in a week or two as they always do. They obviously use a delayed reporting schedule which is common for Japanese companies. They won't enter FY2013 until April 1, 2013.
    Yeah, I erased that. For North America that is true.

Why don't you go check out the state of the LCD industry and its 8 year effect on Sony.

And I'm appalled that you twist someone's words to have a different meaning. Not everything is black and white.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 10-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, I erased that.

Why don't you go check out the state of the LCD industry and its 8 year effect on Sony.

And I'm appalled that you twist someone's words to have a different meaning. Not everything is black and white.
    Ok, is it fair to assume you erased it because you were wrong and had posted incorrect information that you hadn't bothered to check before you posted it? I have no doubt that Sony's problems with its television line have had a very significant contributory impact on its financial problems and in some quarters may have even been the most significant cause of its losses. That doesn't mean that the video game division hasn't contributed to those losses or that they can be ignored. Publically traded corporations don't have the luxury of distracting shareholders by pointing to billion dollar losses only to mask multi-million dollar losses. The billion dollar losses may get the most immediate attention and the most radical action from management, but you can bet that every loss will be scrutinized going forward and if any division continues to lose money with no prospect of turning things around, Sony will not hesitate to either shut it down or eliminate products just like they have done this year in televisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Ok, is it fair to assume you erased it because you were wrong and had posted incorrect information that you hadn't bothered to check before you posted it?
    I was going by the North American fiscal year. Big deal! Either way, it should still be a more profitable quarter than the last.

I get the impression you like to sensationalize little things, to make it appear like a bigger deal than it is.

I have no doubt that Sony's problems with its television line have had a very significant contributory impact on its financial problems and in some quarters may have even been the most significant cause of its losses. That doesn't mean that the video game division hasn't contributed to those losses or that they can be ignored. Publically traded corporations don't have the luxury of distracting shareholders by pointing to billion dollar losses only to mask multi-million dollar losses. The billion dollar losses may get the most immediate attention and the most radical action from management, but you can bet that every loss will be scrutinized going forward and if any division continues to lose money with no prospect of turning things around, Sony will not hesitate to either shut it down or eliminate products just like they have done this year in televisions.
    Yeah, Kaz just cut 10,000 jobs, with a good portion being in the television sector.

Yeah, their videogame division isn't pulling profit like it did with the previous 2 generations, but it hasn't exactly worked out well for MS either; they had to write off a $1 billion for the RROD with the 360. Still, it's not like Sony hasn't been having profitable quarters with their videogame division in the past couple of years. 2010 was a profitable year for that division, while their music, television and entertainment divisions have been on a continual downward spirtal.

Long story short, they aren't making a lot of profit with sold products in North America, because of the strength of the dollar vs. the yen. And when it comes to cutting their losses, their videogame division isn't at the top of the list of money losing products.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 10-25-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So it's decided then, there will be no uniting of Vita owners.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nah. Just Bojay hopping into every Sony thread and acting like an ass.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Nah. Just Bojay hopping into every Sony thread and acting like an ass.
    I think of it as being rational and bringing facts to the table rather than the blind advocacy and misinformation some people seem to always post in these threads assuming that nobody will bother to check the details. Sony is not your friend just like Microsoft and Nintendo aren't your friends. They are corporations with a singular goal of making money. If you enjoy any or all of their products, that's great. That being said, the ridiculous loyalty that some people have for any of the big three video game companies is really just silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    So it's decided then, there will be no uniting of Vita owners.
    I know right. That's what I was thinking. I didn't expect my thread to escalate into this. I wonder if most of the people in this thread even has a Vita. All I have to say is that if people would stop analyzing Sony and their practices and stop debating whether they are going to fail or win, and just pick one up and play it then all of this wouldn't really be a concern. Way too much over analzing in here.

OK, so to those who OWN a Vita. What are your thoughts on it and what made you decide to purchase it? What is your favorite game, and what game is the one you are looking the most forward to? I personally can't wait for Phantasy Star on the Vita. I was thoroughly addicted to PSO on the DS, and it wasn't even that good of a game. On the Vita it can be just as sweet as the PC version, or even better.

Other than the free AR games and now the free Frobisher Says game, I own Madden 13 (bundle), Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Rayman. Of those I have played the most of Hot Shots golf, for ANYONE with a Vita, I HIGHLY recommend this game, you don't even have to be a golf fan to love it, it's just FUN. Next favorite of the games I own would have to be Rayman, BEST Rayman game EVER since the original PSX release - if you ask me. It's the formula Rayman should have stuck with. Yeah it's a port but big deal, it's awesome. Wipeout is freaking amazing I admit, I've just been too busy playing Hot Shots and Rayman to put much time into it - same for Madden 13, it's a GOOD game. I am just so consumed with Hot Shots and Rayman I haven't given it a chance.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I know right. That's what I was thinking. I didn't expect my thread to escalate into this. I wonder if most of the people in this thread even has a Vita. All I have to say is that if people would stop analyzing Sony and their practices and stop debating whether they are going to fail or win, and just pick one up and play it then all of this wouldn't really be a concern. Way too much over analzing in here.

OK, so to those who OWN a Vita. What are your thoughts on it and what made you decide to purchase it? What is your favorite game, and what game is the one you are looking the most forward to? I personally can't wait for Phantasy Star on the Vita. I was thoroughly addicted to PSO on the DS, and it wasn't even that good of a game. On the Vita it can be just as sweet as the PC version, or even better.

Other than the free AR games and now the free Frobisher Says game, I own Madden 13 (bundle), Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Rayman. Of those I have played the most of Hot Shots golf, for ANYONE with a Vita, I HIGHLY recommend this game, you don't even have to be a golf fan to love it, it's just FUN. Next favorite of the games I own would have to be Rayman, BEST Rayman game EVER since the original PSX release - if you ask me. It's the formula Rayman should have stuck with. Yeah it's a port but big deal, it's awesome. Wipeout is freaking amazing I admit, I've just been too busy playing Hot Shots and Rayman to put much time into it - same for Madden 13, it's a GOOD game. I am just so consumed with Hot Shots and Rayman I haven't given it a chance.
    Heh, I was just cracking wise, but it's a bit frustrating when even just overtly positive, optimistic discussion about something that's not setting the sales charts on fire catches static from those who like to illustrate things like the current consumer/developer landscape and the potential bleak future for a device like a Vita or a 3DS.

I mean, at the end of the day I'm a realist, I'm not saying that there's no possibility for failure, but generally I like to have positive, optimistic discussions. Games are a hobby that I really enjoy, so even though there's tons of reasons to be defeatist/negative about things, I don't see much of a point wasting breath on listing all the reasons why a portable/handheld system won't weather the storm of the changing industry. That's just me though, anybody else who wants to, well that's all good as long as they don't make things personal.

I've got a few physical games and a shit-ton of downloads that carried over from digital purchases and PLUS downloads on PSN on my Vita, as well as all the free stuff that has been offered. I think the system is amazingly engineered, it has lots of potential, Sony seems to have the store/compatibility with things like PSOne games sorted out and I think that it's just subsisting in the market in a tough time. Cross-play titles and ones that you buy on PS3 and get on Vita and vice/versa are awsome. I'm hoping that it'll get through this and I'm counting on Sony being as scrappy with it as they have been with the PSP. Once a few franchise/tent-pole titles come out that are bundle-worthy it might move more units. If not, maybe they will eventually slash the price and take the hit to get units to the public.

I have very few complaints about the device overall other than the slow pace of new full-fledged titles rolling out at retail, but, I've got PLENTY to play with on it in the way of PSP/PSOne/Minis, so. Yeah. Vita is good.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

thatesclatedquickly.jpg

So anyways I've owned a Vita since launch and love the thing. I picked one up because the PSP was my personal favorite portable last cycle and I hope that the Vita will delivered that same experience of a wide arrange of titles with an ease of importing the stuff we don't get here, thus far its doing exactly that. Combined with some nice PSP emulation options and PS1 titles and PSN minis make it a great portable system, I do wish there were more games on the horizon to look forward too but the few coming up look fantastic. As has been said over and over the hardware is amazing but personally my favorite feature is the D-pad, really one of the best I have ever used for all game types and if it holds up over time I really hope that Sony starts using it on its controllers because its really really good. lol

My current collection stands at:
    Rayman Origins
    Uncharted: GA
    Disgaea 3
    Mortal Kombat
    Wipeout 2048
    Unit 13
    BlazeBlue
    Gravity Rush
    LBP
    Project Diva F

This isn't mentioning the "core" PS1 RPG library about 20 PSP games like Dissidia 2, God Eater Burst, Disgaea 1-2, etc. and downloaded games like RCR and the like. The console really has a ton of content available on it that's nice to have all in one place with the great hardware controls of the console. I think my favorite game thus far has been Gravity Rush and I really hope we see a sequal that ties the story up and polishes up the game somewhat. The artstyle coupled with the world they created really sucked me in and I'm sure the majority of the time I spent ingame was just enjoying the sensation of flying around the city. I just wish that combat was more indepth then it ended up being and that they utilize the open world aspect better if/when they do a sequel. The city was fun to fly around just had little to do outside of that.

I'm most looking forward to Killzone Mercenary and AC III Liberation. KZ:M's short clip looked great and as a fan of the series I am anways interested in the next installment. A solid FSP game on the handheld would be great too as Burning Skies seemed rather lackluster and I don't really have high hopes for Blops Vita so far. I haven't played an AC game before but the character and setting of Liberation look very interesting, pending reviews I might pick that one up too.

I seriously doubt that this will revive this thread but if you do own a vita get a Hori Grip. I've bought and thrown away pretty much every other amazon grip avaliable and this is the best one IMO. Keeps your hands off the rear touch pad when you don't want them there but keeps in it easy reach when you do. Also has handles that slide up for a more compact package...seriously buy it if you have any issues using the thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I own Madden 13 (bundle), Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, and Rayman. Of those I have played the most of Hot Shots golf, for ANYONE with a Vita, I HIGHLY recommend this game, you don't even have to be a golf fan to love it, it's just FUN. Next favorite of the games I own would have to be Rayman, BEST Rayman game EVER since the original PSX release - if you ask me. It's the formula Rayman should have stuck with. Yeah it's a port but big deal, it's awesome. Wipeout is freaking amazing I admit, I've just been too busy playing Hot Shots and Rayman to put much time into it - same for Madden 13, it's a GOOD game. I am just so consumed with Hot Shots and Rayman I haven't given it a chance.
    I feel pretty much exactly the same way. Hot Shots is the killer app. Fifa is amazing, you should try that. The first Fifa is perfectly fine, so just find a used one for $15 or less. Wipeout is great, but hard. Madden 13 is surprisingly decent after that patch, and it can be had on Ebay for about $17, which is real nice. Super Stardust Delta is awesome. It's a great downloadable title.

Also, that Montezuma game, the freemium game... I play that game A LOT. I've never paid any money to play it. I just did the free games, and that's it. Still, I enjoy playing it.

As for Rayman, that's a game that I need to find somewhere for like $15. I'd buy it in a second. I'm also interested in the new Need For Speed game. I've heard some strange things about the Assassin's Creed game, so not sure about that. I've also heard that the Call of Duty game is really lame. (same guys that did the crappy Resistance vita game)