Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If The School Shooting Today Is Blamed or Linked To FPS Games.....

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You can feel what you want, but if I had a child like that, I would be 110% sure he couldn't get at firearms. Mainly to protect himself. That's just my opinion. I also don't believe anyone NEEDS an AR-15/M16 type rifle. Again, my opinion. My father had a few guns while we were growing up. Never let me near them, never even see them. I learned early on, they were his, I was not to touch them. He was clear on why he had them (personal protection), and they stayed where they were for years, until he eventually sold them all when we needed the money.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2311009.html

By the way, this is a fairly moving/eye opening essay by a mother with a child that has a severe mental illness, how difficult sometimes help is to get, and also the dangers. So yes, it's quite possible she simply lost control of him, which I don't blame her for at all. You're right, he could have built a bomb, he was very smart. I couldn't have blamed her for that. But to make it that easy for him to get guns and all that ammo, that's just plain careless. Would it have prevented the massacre? Maybe not.

Look, I don't have the answer. Sometimes mental illness is just not well enough understood to help all people. Sometimes the help is not there, due to shitty healthcare. Sometimes it is, but the parents are somewhat in denial and unwilling. But either we must do something, whether that involves greater security, less guns, and/or more mental health awareness and responsibility, I don't know the right mix. But something substantive needs to be done. It may well mean the NRA has to give some up, that the privacy advocates have to give something up, etc. But either that has to happen, or we just need to stop giving a crap at all and not even report these massacres. At the least, why can there not be rules that prohibit mentally ill people from getting near legal guns?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More than one person can be responsible.. Nobody is letting the shooter off the hook.
    That being said, there was nothing stopping him from just walking into a gun shop and arming himself.
    Mommy isn't the only source of weapons.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've been following the story here and there, and the first I heard about video games being blamed was this thread right here, so maybe some people are just following the wrong news sources? (e.g. anything that cites Jack Thompson as an expert in anything probably isn't worth visiting).

I can only imagine what it must be like for the families of those killed on Friday, and my heart, for what it's worth, goes out to them. Nobody should have to go through anything like that, but unfortunately some of us always do. Life, as they say, isn't fair.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Given that 20 children and 6 adults were killed, does it really matter if games are vilified by disreputable media sources? Who gives a shit if some talking head on Fox News wants to scapegoat gaming? That's trivial compared to the loss of life. As a nation we should be focused on trying to prevent this from happening again, even if it's no guarantee. Granted, there is no way to totally prevent this sort of thing, but that's not adequate justification for inaction. We have to try. Unfortunately, there is nothing approaching consensus and no collective will that will lead to any substantive reforms; just regurgitation of stale arguments with the end result being the perpetuation of the status quo.

In a week or two no one will be talking about the massacre in Newtown and we'll have all moved on, except for those left to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives; that is until the next inevitable mass shooting.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    More than one person can be responsible.. Nobody is letting the shooter off the hook.
    That being said, there was nothing stopping him from just walking into a gun shop and arming himself.
    We have an extremely exaggerated sense of self in America. This hyper-individualism that seeks to lay responsibility solely on one person. Adam Lanza is just the latest example of how pathetic the mental health infrastructure is in this country. People who are obviously mentally ill go without treatment because "it's their problem" and "why should my taxes go to help some (insert pejorative here)?"

Saying that 100% of the blame lies with Adam Lanza does ZILCH to advance us towards a potential solution. Maybe, just maybe, had someone in Adam Lanza's life taken the initiative and tried to get him some help the 26 people he killed might be alive today. Had one teacher, friend, relative, doctor, or acquaintance cared enough to attempt to intervene, things may have turned out differently.

At some point we need to realize that we're in this together. We're not just 300+ million individuals living in 300+ million vacuums. The actions of one of us can affect all of us.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You can't do that in most states surrounding his home. CT, NY, NJ, MA, RI, have strict laws against that. Plus he wasn't old enough to buy one on his own. As Hawksmoor said, the mental health care is a joke, total joke. Plus you can't overlap those records with background checks (in states that require them at all). As I said, his mother was a doomsday prepper, who in the last few years had him at the gun range because as we all know, the Walking Dead is non-fiction. Stockpiling arms, food, supplies, etc. The son had a mental illness, I think she was just mental.

I don't think that much is needed above common sense here. Ban semi-auto assault weapons and high capacity clips. Close the ridiculous gun show loophole, increase the waiting period, and background checks to include mental health. I don't think that's unreasonable. On the other side, they say no regulation and arm the teachers.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might as well arm the kids too. Give them a little brown-brown while we're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Might as well arm the kids too. Give them a little brown-brown while we're at it.
    Baby's first gun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

We have an extremely exaggerated sense of self in America. This hyper-individualism that seeks to lay responsibility solely on one person. Adam Lanza is just the latest example of how pathetic the mental health infrastructure is in this country. People who are obviously mentally ill go without treatment because "it's their problem" and "why should my taxes go to help some (insert pejorative here)?"
    Actually, the health infrastructure is pathetic because it's really fucking expensive. It all boils down to money. Who's going to pay for this, and what is the priority for this measure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Actually, the health infrastructure is pathetic because it's really fucking expensive. It all boils down to money. Who's going to pay for this, and what is the priority for this measure.
    Expense is big problem, no doubt. That said, so is recognition of illness and subsequent intervention. The warning signs were there with Adam Lanza. Unfortunately, no one that had an opportunity to do anything about it took the initiative to intervene.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Unfortunately, it's quite typical that even if others recognize a problem, they hit a brick wall in trying to get any kind of help for the person, especially if said person is adamant about not wanting help (and, big surprise, crazy people often don't think they're crazy). America is all about personal liberties and not stepping on anyone's toes, so forcing people, no matter how much they need it, into taking drugs or staying in a treatment program is frowned upon. That is, until if and when they commit a crime, which hopefully won't be as horrible as this, but even then, locking away our mentally ill in prison is a pretty piss-poor solution.

But, yeah, at the end of the day, it really is all about money. I think most Americans fail to understand just how much the state of mental healthcare in this country has changed in a relatively short amount of time. It hasn't always been like this. If you just go back a handful of decades, America was completely opposite on mental healthcare. We were actually quite proactive and aggressive on treating mental illness, perhaps even to the point of being a bit overbearing. I mean, even people with addictions to alcohol and gambling and such were getting treatment in mental hospitals. My grandfather was a psychiatrist, went to 8 years of medical school like any other doctor, and spent his whole career life working in mental hospitals, often living on the grounds of them in one of the doctors' homes. In the US, for him, that was from the '50s to roughly around 1990. It's just sad and pathetic that so many of the hospitals he worked at or knew of are now no longer in existence, with nothing taking their place either. America now has a culture of pill-popping, and that's basically become the approach of mental healthcare. Why spend the money on intensive care, well-trained doctors, and sending someone off to one of the scant few remaining hospitals when a prescription can just be written and we keep our fingers crossed that the family members can deal with these mentally ill people, convince them to stay on their drugs, and hope that the drugs will be enough and won't cause strange side effects?

It really is a sad, sad situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A guy I used to be friends with slowly went crazy, having paranoid delusions about space lizards and people conspiring against him. He couldn't be reasoned with, he wouldn't see a psychiatrist, and he just became an intolerable basket case and scared off everyone in his life. His family and some of his closer friends tried to get help for him because there was a very real possibility that he could harm someone, including himself.
    The most they could do was get someone to make a record of their concerns.
    This fall, he went out west and jumped in front of a train.
    The mental health resources were all there, but it ultimately makes no difference.

Having to deal with people doing crazy shit sometimes is the price we pay for having the freedom to live our own private lives, and I can live with that. More kids drown in swimming pools than get shot dead my maniacs, after all, and and nobody seems to feel that it's too high a price to pay for the luxury of having a pool.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18...#ixzz2FROKtAFe

If this is true, kind of hard to blame video games. At least I think.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

More kids drown in swimming pools than get shot dead my maniacs, after all, and and nobody seems to feel that it's too high a price to pay for the luxury of having a pool.
    You must never watch HGTV. NO ONE wants a fucking pool. It's the number one deal breaker for house hunters with children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In that case, if I ever win the lottery, I'm buying everyone in my neighbourhood a pool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More kids drown in swimming pools than get shot dead my maniacs, after all
    Interesting. Can you provide a source to back that up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just google the stats. Hundreds of kids drown in swimming pools every year in the U.S.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Hawksmoor is making sense to me.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just google the stats. Hundreds of kids drown in swimming pools every year in the U.S.
    Telling someone to Google something doesn't qualify as proof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Telling someone to Google something doesn't qualify as proof.
    Am I supposed to care?
    Remain lazy and ignorant if you want to.