Thread: Do you prefer modern day mags that cover the retro scene or old mags from back in the day ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The old ones, they stand for the period and what the period stood for. They weren't looking back with rosy tinted beer goggles, just the eyes of someone on the cutting edge who never knew what was going to happen next since it was pre-internet and they'd cream themselves over something stunning. Now everything is online and ruined months before it arrives if you keep up with things and then you get all the looking back at how great stuff was despite the fact it never was always great, just had great moments and plenty enough to chain together a delusion of perfection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The old ones, they stand for the period and what the period stood for. They weren't looking back with rosy tinted beer goggles, just the eyes of someone on the cutting edge who never knew what was going to happen next since it was pre-internet and they'd cream themselves over something stunning. Now everything is online and ruined months before it arrives if you keep up with things and then you get all the looking back at how great stuff was despite the fact it never was always great, just had great moments and plenty enough to chain together a delusion of perfection.
    You saved me from a lot of typing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The old magazines...I also really love the advertisements from the time...makes me feel young again. Another reason why I like reading my old Archie Comics. They had old advertisements especially the one where you sold stationery to win different prizes. Its also interesting seeing a list of NES games that were being sold through mail and they had the price right beside it.
    Last edited by ZeroCool; 10-09-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do you guys read the scans of EGM and stuff like that on your tablets, or are you actually getting your hands on the real issues ?

Reason I ask, is because I actively collect a ton of different mags, and one thing I enjoy about it, is that there doesn't seem to be that huge of a demand for these old issues, and you can sometimes get them for a song if you wait long enough and are patient enough. Sure the Ebay "Buy It Nows" can be quite outrageous on many classic mags, but few actually sell at that price. Most of the mags that sell, are multiple mags where you can get the issues for around $3 or $4 each per issue.

To me, it would seem like if there really were a lot of people collecting these magazines, the prices would be way higher. So I'm kinda glad in a way that less people seem to be trying to get these mags. Just makes it easier and less expensive for me.

Still, I think more and more retrogamers should look into getting their hands on the real deal issues. It's quite enjoyable, to have a comfortable rocking chair, near a window with some nice sunlight coming in, sipping on a cup of coffee, reading a classic issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly. I especially like all the earlier mags with the higher quality paper. Just feels really good to the touch. In the mid to late 90's all the magazines started to use the cheapo recycled paper which kinda sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Old magazines all the way.
    Although I am subscribed to Retro (the one funded via Kickstarter) and enjoy that, too.

But nothing can beat the EGMs and GameFans of the early-mid '90s. Love flipping through them -- as someone already stated it's akin to stepping inside a time machine of sorts

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

I missed the classic mags from the 90s like Expert Gamer, Tips & Tricks, & Gamers' Republic I remembered many summers ago, I would wandered into the magazine section at the supermarket during a weekly shopping spree, and see all these video game mags in all of their colorful cutting-edge vibe, just waiting to be read by someone. Those mags gave me an inside look on the latest news and previews to look forward to next month or so. It was a really great feeling of wonder and being in harmony with your favorite hobby

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Classic magazines all the way. Aside from liking the original context, I also like the more colorful, abstract designs a lot of the old magazines like Nintendo Power had. I was so happy a couple of months ago when I stumbled on a couple of old issues of Sega Visions and GamePro at a local store and snapped them up.

Most important in making the distinction for me, though, is what I use them for aside from nostalgia. I like to dig through the old preview and "coming soon" sections of old magazines and look for games that never came out, and then try to track them down if they came out in another region and try them. I would never have tried games like Battle Dodgeball or Gradius II without those old magazines reminding me of them in their own charming way filled with in-the-moment enthusiasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well said, and I'll add that often the ads of each issue are more valuable than the preview/reviews, and editorials.

I recently acquired a big stack of EGM from the 91-95 era, and it is pure joy poring through each volume... the old ads and editorial info sometimes points out games I've over looked for decades!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love all the old propaganda mags. Nintendo Power obviously, but also Interaction and Lucasarts Adventurer.

But they sure were propaganda.

I actually never really cared for Gamepro and EGM. I think it's because I was spoiled on Nintendo Power's tips, tricks, and walkthroughs. Those other mags were just reviews. Also, they had ads.

You know, instead of being a magazine that was 100% ads....
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12