Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips for getting into the Turbografx/Turboduo

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    Can anyone tell me if any of the consoles have the battery backup module integrated into the system?

All the models of duo have the game save back up and the CD add on has it, as does the Turbo Booster Plus I believe.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They save internally at least the duo did, but it also didn't have a sketchy cr2032 that failed after a year or just from looking at it funny like on Saturn. The years I had my Duo I never lost a game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm considering getting an import console though. I have no problem with replacing capacitors. How are the Coregrafx systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ye gods. If you have waited this long, what makes you think you'd even like having all this unreliable 1980s tech?

If you really want to spend money, just get an Nvidia Shield and call that your "TurboExpress."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Ye gods. If you have waited this long, what makes you think you'd even like having all this unreliable 1980s tech?

If you really want to spend money, just get an Nvidia Shield and call that your "TurboExpress."
    haha that is the best advice I have read all day. If the system and games were cheaper I would say go for a Turbo but I just don't see the fun in it at all. I really can't buy a ton of retro games without my wallet punching me in the gut for thinking about it. I know me and I just want things just to have them and won't go through the trouble of playing them all the time. Whereas with my Shield I can just go crazy playing whatever jumps into my head. I still have quite a few of my games and enjoy them for what they are but I just feel like it is just work getting them to look just right and hoping the hardware is still working. With my Shield I am just playing games the way it is supposed to be just zero hassle. I am not too concerned about pirating 30 year old games. If they want to come after me then so be it. It's not like the original devs are getting anything if I buy a game on ebay.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    How are the Coregrafx systems?
    I have one and it works great. I havent had any problems with it, and Ive had 3 duo systems with bad caps...
    Its super small which is cool also, and its got AV output which the US turbo does not have. Also uses the same ac and av cables as a model 1 genesis so you can have them sitting side by side and switch the cables whenever you want to use the other.
    With a flash card you can play US and Japanese games, no mods required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 View Post
    haha that is the best advice I have read all day. If the system and games were cheaper I would say go for a Turbo but I just don't see the fun in it at all. I really can't buy a ton of retro games without my wallet punching me in the gut for thinking about it. I know me and I just want things just to have them and won't go through the trouble of playing them all the time. Whereas with my Shield I can just go crazy playing whatever jumps into my head. I still have quite a few of my games and enjoy them for what they are but I just feel like it is just work getting them to look just right and hoping the hardware is still working. With my Shield I am just playing games the way it is supposed to be just zero hassle. I am not too concerned about pirating 30 year old games. If they want to come after me then so be it. It's not like the original devs are getting anything if I buy a game on ebay.
    Amen to that. I got a shield tablet (post recall) model a couple weeks ago and it's stunning what it is capable of. You'd be far better off with an android pce emulator and using a bluetooth controller. I hate to say warez is the best angle, but with the way the scum have played the market for deep pocketed shallow minded sucker fish, there's really no other option unless you like pissing mass sums of cash on a lot of mediocrity mixed with some awesome stuff that'll cost you more than you'll ever get back out of it in rational enjoyment hours.

Chrono Trigger Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    First and foremost, it's gonna get expensive, so unless you have a lot of disposable income, beware, as it's super popular these days with collectors. That said, I did a US Turbografx unit for US HuCards and a Japanese Duo-R for import HuCards, and CDs are region free. Just beware, as you're getting into territory with the Neo Geo AES for crazy high prices. Those rare NES and SNES games will start to look reasonable by comparison.

Also, get a time machine and buy this in the late '90s. If I hadn't bought my stuff then, it'd be out of my reach now. I've bought arcade cabinets that cost less than Turbo games. A lot less.
    I don't know if I'd say AES territory, some of those games are fucking insane. I do have a decent amount of disposable income right now (tbh, I got a second job just to add to my collection while being able to put my other paycheck towards more important stuff). I've been looking thru eBay and it seems a PC-Engine Duo would be a good starting point.

Also, to those who said emulate: lolno. I've spent way too much money on my current collection to just start emulating other consoles. TG16 stuff is pretty damn expensive, but we're not taliing about a $1000 for the system, or $1000s of dollars for one game. I can do a $300 system and a few $100-$200 games. It'll take a lot of time, but it's doable for me at this point in my life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bozle View Post
    I don't know if I'd say AES territory, some of those games are fucking insane. I do have a decent amount of disposable income right now (tbh, I got a second job just to add to my collection while being able to put my other paycheck towards more important stuff). I've been looking thru eBay and it seems a PC-Engine Duo would be a good starting point.

Also, to those who said emulate: lolno. I've spent way too much money on my current collection to just start emulating other consoles. TG16 stuff is pretty damn expensive, but we're not taliing about a $1000 for the system, or $1000s of dollars for one game. I can do a $300 system and a few $100-$200 games. It'll take a lot of time, but it's doable for me at this point in my life.
    Well now I'm done helping you forever.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I still recommend picking up a TED. It's an excellent halfway point between emulating and full-on collecting, since you still get to play the games on original hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Well now I'm done helping you forever.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I dunno. With games like Sapphire, Renny Blaster, Fausette Armor, Magical Chase, Beyond Shadowgate, Terraforming, etc., you really are in AES territory. They both get pretty crazy these days. But that's really not the point; just a friendly warning about cost. If you're up for it, a lot of my favorite games are on the Turbo/PCE and the AES, and if you have the means, there are some truly great games to play. Once you take the plunge, I'd be happy to post a bunch of games that give great bang for the buck. Also, I think I already posted this, but read www.thebrothersduomazov.com and videogameden.com (Ikermel posts here, even. They have tons of great reviews and screenshots.

Also, just do yourself a favor and pick up brand new sealed copies of Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 for US CD while they're still pretty available at good prices on Amazon or ebay.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-20-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno. With games like Sapphire, Renny Blaster, Fausette Armor, Magical Chase, Beyond Shadowgate, Terraforming, etc., you really are in AES territory. They both get pretty crazy these days. But that's really not the point; just a friendly warning about cost. If you're up for it, a lot of my favorite games are on the Turbo/PCE and the AES, and if you have the means, there are some truly great games to play. Once you take the plunge, I'd be happy to post a bunch of games that give great bang for the buck. Also, I think I already posted this, but read www.thebrothersduomazov.com and videogameden.com (Ikermel posts here, even. They have tons of great reviews and screenshots.

Also, just do yourself a favor and pick up brand new sealed copies of Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2 for US CD while they're still pretty available at good prices on Amazon or ebay.
    The first game I plan on getting is Ys Book 1 and 2, which looking through eBay, doesn't break the bank tremendously. I know very little about the specific games that are must haves for the systems but it seems like an awesome, underrated system on the surface.

I kinda want to get a Neo Geo as well, and the CD-rom model seems somewhat reasonably priced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Neo Geo is pretty great, but the CD is definitely not the way to go. It's pretty easy to either buy an MVS cabinet for less than $300 or consolize an MVS board with 2 joysticks using real arcade parts for less than $150 if you have a little technical know how. I'd be happy to post a brief walkthrough. CD just has worse load times than you'd imagine (more than two minutes in some cases) and the drives are notoriously flaky. AES looks great, and the carts and packaging look great (I have 30 or so), but MVS carts are way cheaper in most cases, and the converters often cost as much as an MVS cab. I'd recommend anyone who wants to play real games on real hardware just build a jamma supergun to use as a consolized MVS, and you can buy othe pcbs if you want that way, or just buy a cabinet if you have room. AES is fun to have and all, but it is definitely expensive. I would only recommend buying one to a wealthy collector or someone who always dreamed of having one as a kid to scratch that itch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neo Geo is pretty great, but the CD is definitely not the way to go. It's pretty easy to either buy an MVS cabinet for less than $300 or consolize an MVS board with 2 joysticks using real arcade parts for less than $150 if you have a little technical know how. I'd be happy to post a brief walkthrough. CD just has worse load times than you'd imagine (more than two minutes in some cases) and the drives are notoriously flaky. AES looks great, and the carts and packaging look great (I have 30 or so), but MVS carts are way cheaper in most cases, and the converters often cost as much as an MVS cab. I'd recommend anyone who wants to play real games on real hardware just build a jamma supergun to use as a consolized MVS, and you can buy othe pcbs if you want that way, or just buy a cabinet if you have room. AES is fun to have and all, but it is definitely expensive. I would only recommend buying one to a wealthy collector or someone who always dreamed of having one as a kid to scratch that itch.
    Doesn't the CDZ version cut load times in half?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Doesn't the CDZ version cut load times in half?
    Nope, but it is definitely faster. However, many late Neo Geo games did not get CD releases, and there are only a couple of exclusives like Crossed Swords II.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This post a joke? Why bother asking, just go empty your wallet if your income is so disposable. Fuggit, buy it all... Why do these type people ask total strangers what to spend their own money on? Or is it just to rub it in other faces who aren't as fortunate with income?

Save the memes for people who still find them amusing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    This post a joke? Why bother asking, just go empty your wallet if your income is so disposable. Fuggit, buy it all... Why do these type people ask total strangers what to spend their own money on? Or is it just to rub it in other faces who aren't as fortunate with income?

I got nothing to add but this image works to show my sarcastic amusement with the following post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post

You seem a little upset. I'm not saying I'm rich or anything, I'm not even remotely close to it, I just have some money to waste for the next year. I started this thread to find out which model of the Turbo would be the best one to play the majority of it's great games on, both CD and HU-card. I'm far from an expert on retro games as I just started collecting not too long ago, so I wanted some advice from people who know more than me.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Duos arent the best option.
    Super cd rom2 systems with core grafx are better.

Also regarding Duos, if you are looking to buy one with controllers and such its more like $500+..
    Last edited by bb_hood; 10-20-2015 at 06:46 PM.