Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats happened to Sega?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

The biggest problems ive noticed down here in Texas, is that Sega games just arnt liked. Doesnt realy matter how good or bad they are. The only way I could see Sega making a comback would require them to change the mindset of american gamers. Somehow convince them that the games do not suck because they were released by Sega Many of you (i count myself as one of these) may love Sega systems and games, but next time your at a local game store, ask what the emps think of a curent Sega game you have played. Ask your friends who you know havent played any games by Sega. I'm willing to bet the answers you get will leave you wondering about them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always been a Sega fan, and while I don't really like any of the new Sonic stuff, I like a lot of the other stuff they've done on the PS2 and GC (can't really say for the xbox since I don't have one, though the Outrun demo rules). I don't think they're going downhill, they just make games for a certain type of gamer, and right now most gamers want GTA clones and that's not what they do.

It's seems to me that Sega's stuff is (and has been) more Arcadey and platformy than serious and grim and bloodsplattered. And right now spy games and free roaming enviorments rule. I hope Sega keeps doing what they are doing cause IMO they're good at it, and it would be a shame to see them change they're style just because they feel they have to adapt.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    It's seems to me that Sega's stuff is (and has been) more Arcadey and platformy than serious and grim and bloodsplattered. And right now spy games and free roaming enviorments rule. I hope Sega keeps doing what they are doing cause IMO they're good at it, and it would be a shame to see them change they're style just because they feel they have to adapt.
    You speak the truth. I think that's exactly why people probably have a lower opinion of Sega these days.

I think an interesting point to recognize is that we who participate on the boards here are much less likely to buy and enjoy a game simply because it sells well, which means we who respond to this post are probably all gonna really dig Sega. For the past 4 or 5 years, Sega stuff has not sold competitively, which causes (particularly younger) people to avoid it. Also, if it's not selling all that much, there's much less chance new people will get the exposure to the games that sparks their interest in the first place, so it's a vicious cycle. I think the type of people who like Sega will always like Sega, but there's plenty of people out there who don't like the style of games Sega produces (which makes up probably the majority of the video game consumers out there right now--sports games and violent games are doing better than anything. One of those two is not really Sega's cup of tea.)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nintendo will never fold. if you knew its history and the people behind the company, you wouldnt say it. Read the book 'game over' by David Sheff for infromation.
    Sega was actually losing money, nintendo is making hundreds of millions. besides wasnt it the president of nintendo that said the day that nintendo withdraws from the console market is the day that they will withdraw from the gaming market all together.
    Sega folded after 3 and a half years of negative profits. nintendo is constantly growing.

/end rant

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was really getting excited for sega when i played games like chu chu rocket, space channel 5, jet grind radio, shenmue, and all their great sports games on DC. i also got hyped about super monkey ball, which delivered on the 'cube, but then billy hatcher didn't really impress, and other efforts across all platforms have been good, but not the phenomenal forward charge that they had going on for a while on the DC. the jury's still out on this one, especially since they've been under heavy reconstruction for the last 2 (at least) years. we can only wait and see if they're going up or down.

has anyone played amazing island? i'm tempted, but i'm a cheapskate so i'm not gonna buy it until it comes down in price.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soniko_karuto

kinda like the genny with the sega cd and the 32x, and the power base converter if i'm not mistaken.

I'm not talking about buying some add-on that requires its own games, i'm talking about buying ONE game and having to buy other things to "unlock" added features of the game.

I don't have to own a 32x to play 2 player mode in "Sonic 2", I don't need a Sega CD to play as Shiva in SOR3....and Sonic 3 only really needed "Sonic & Knuckles" to make itself "complete".

If i collect hidden stuff/items in Crash Bandicoot I can unlock hidden stuff.

If i wanna play the "master levels" in Mario Advance 4...well shit, i need an E-reader, and another GBA/SP. Honestly, couldn't that have been something you could unlock after scoring so many points or beating the game a certain # of times, or collecting items? (But that wouldnt get Nintendo any money)

There isnt any shame in having stuff unlockable.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    (But that wouldnt get Nintendo any money)

You mean to tell me that Nintendo and all the game companies are after money? Say it ain't so.

Sega is good just not as good as they used to be. If you don't change with what the customer wants then you will eventually fail.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega always seemed to bring something different to the table.......which, of course, was not only their greatest strength, but also their greatest weakness.

In these days when the casual gamer is demanding a narrower range of genre, it's a real shame that an innovator can't be allowed to innovate and be successful.

Look at Katamari Damacy. I think that it's safe to assume that most of the members of this forum have fallen head over heels in like with this simplistic "retro" title. I'll wager that at game shops everywhere the average gamer has seen it....MAYBE even rented it....and deemed it a steaming pile of shit, a kiddie game and a waste of plastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Props out to Otogi 1 and 2 Only mentioned once here and worth mentioning again. And I like Sega's publishing strategy of console exclusivity.

Anybody who honestly thinks Nintendo is failing or will fold hasn't done any real research...

They completely own the extremely lucrative handheld market. As much as we hate the lack of ingenuity, think how much profit all their ports (4 mario games, all the classic games, etc.) make. It's probably all profit after selling about 1,000 copies :P There are almost as many GBA's (including SPs) as there are Playstation 2's on the market.

Their console is #2 worldwide.

They are the #3 publisher in gross sales. They are the highest on the list that both publishes games and creates consoles. By a long shot :P

They own 2 of the most popular gaming franchises of all time. (Mario, Zelda)

How is this a failing situation?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats an understatement. Sega is just as good as they've always been, there not just appreciated as much due, too the only people who really KNOW sega are older gamers
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs

kinda like the genny with the sega cd and the 32x, and the power base converter if i'm not mistaken.

I'm not talking about buying some add-on that requires its own games, i'm talking about buying ONE game and having to buy other things to "unlock" added features of the game.

*snip*

If i collect hidden stuff/items in Crash Bandicoot I can unlock hidden stuff.

*snip*
    E-reader, and another GBA/SP.
    *snip*
    well, this has been going on japan since a long time, at least you just need another gba and the e reader, but lets look at this if you will.

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/fc/datach.html

yep, that idea had been done long before the e reader. and with the same or better results.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, this has been going on japan since a long time, at least you just need another gba and the e reader, but lets look at this if you will.

http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/fc/datach.html

yep, that idea had been done long before the e reader. and with the same or better results.
    To be honest, thats a better thing that the whole "E-reader + extra system" fiasco.

If i am understanding that thing correctly, its simply a device you plug into your Famicom and then swipe some barcodes and plug some games into.

I think this sums things up nicely.

"Master Levels" and extra features to a port of an older game really should be gifts to a good game player instead of to those willing to buy everything Nintendo cranks out.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kai123 shoulda
    If you don't find new ways to make money off the customer then you will eventually fail.
    Fixed. It's not about what the consumer wants, after all.