Thread: What was wrong with the Gamecube?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't remember a Xbox Live starter disc in the starter kits I purchased, but I probably just wasn't looking for it so I've forgotten it (I just remember a disc that gave access to Xbox Live Arcade, was the software included on the same disc)? And it's been well over half a decade since I subscribed to Xbox Live. Perhaps the starter disc came with my console or was already factory installed on systems by that point (Xbox Live was up and running well before I became a Xbox owner in late 2004)?

I just know that I first accessed Xbox Live through either RalliSport Challenge 2 or Project Gotham Racing 2 (Both Xbox Live enabled), which likely had the necessary system software included on the disc to patch in Xbox Live support to the system dashboard if it wasn't already factory installed. Entered the trial code along with a credit card and I was subscribed to Xbox Live and have been there ever since. Never bought a starter kit and got a headset until several years went by.

Either way, I wasn't out to contradict you nor underplay the role that companies like Sega played in getting us to this point (Although I do think it was Microsoft that ultimately popularized online multiplayer on home consoles, I can remember playing things like Daytona USA 2001 online when new and it was usually the same small group of people everyday, not the large communities we saw on Xbox Live). I was just giving my own impressions of that time period as a gamer and Xbox owner that played on Xbox Live. It seemed like it took off and was quite popular by the time the 360 was released. Also, you're forgetting there are far many more Xbox 360's out there than there ever were of Xbox's, and your own point about the growth of broadband since those days. Makes being 10% of last year's Xbox Live installed base seem a bit more impressive for mid 2005, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-16-2011 at 02:54 AM.